How much does age matter (in a motor home!) (1 Viewer)

Jackiet

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Sussex
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello,
Am going to view a VW 1999 2.4 Compass Calypso - am also looking at newer motor homes around 2007 - more updated (and £!) but am wary having read about Fiat, Peugeot, and Citroen and water ingress.

Does age really matter? The VW fits ticks quite few boxes in particular length.
Many thanks

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
as long as its no rust anywhere got lots of mot and some service history and no damp it should be better than some newer motorhomes.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hello

Many thanks

Age does not neccesarily matter but unless the old uns have been well looked after, just like men, they can deteriorate !

I have some later vans that are ideal for couples and also lengthwise. like these for example:
Rapido 709f Motorhome 2006
Length: 5.56m / 18'3"
Width: 2.23m / 7'4"
Height: 2.67m / 8'9"
Mileage: 7,750
MTPLM: 3,400kg
Three berth end fixed bed model

Pilote Cityvan Motorhome 2010

Length: 18'8" / 5.69m
Width: 6'9" / 2.05m
Height: 9'0" / 2.75m
MTPLM: 3,500kg
Two Berth Fixed Bed Over Garage

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I don't think age matters in a motorhome........

I have seen some very, very, old people in motorhomes.........:RollEyes:

In fact there are quite a few of them around us here at Chester this weekend.......:winky:

Some of them even have current MOT's, albeit it with a few advisories.....:imoutahere:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
a VW 1999 2.4 Compass Calypso -
Many thanks

VW is a byword for quality engineering.

Older MHs were built better than new ones.

Condition is everything, if it's sound, go for it.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
could always get a new old style vw t2 . google vwt2 danbury.
brian likes old .he is old .ha ha . :RollEyes:

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
hi, i assume the van in question is a t4 transporter although a 1999 should be a 2.5tdi but that doesn't matter .if its in good nick and the price is right get it,it is DEFINATELY better than money in the bank as they are going up in price.i speak from experiance as i have 7 of them(panel vans) that we are converting into surf busses/campers,and i certainly don't mind having the money tied up for as long as it takes to get them done as like i said they are going up in price.good luck. steve.:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you have to think outside the box

When it comes motor homes you need to think outside the box...

Often you see (yanks) low mileage and fairly old... great you think:Blush: but what if they have been used full time as a home... ok low miles, so the engine is not worn.. but the tyres are stuck in the same position month after month.. the equipment on board, toilet, fridge, heating etc., etc., have been worked to death.

So it is a balancing job.. looking at the condition overall... age v miles v condition. Then price... is there a service history, does it all add up. how many owners, how often has the motor home changed hands... has it been stored near the sea most of it's life? what information does the owner have.. has the engine had a proper service at the expected times.. mileage v age ( it may not have done enough miles for a regular mileage service ... but has it had a annual service)... what has been spent on it over the years.. good and bad...

so it all comes down to common sense... if it looks to good then it is.

Let your gut tell you and a damp meter and may be a report from an engineer.

Bob

OP
OP
J

Jackiet

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Sussex
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Than you for replies

Many thanks for the helpful and amusing replies! Really think the VW I saw is good value - however have seen a newer version - 2001 2.5tdi v 1999 and 2.4. So will do more research.

Drove over to Marquis (Eastbourne) - had a good time looking at all the motorhomes; one's we liked were either too long and / or expensive - but all good fun to look.

Went along to Johns Cross today (Sunday) but closed. Said open on the web page and on the door - and answer phone message asked me to hold on as my call was valued etc... saw 4 other couples drive up look and drive away.

Once again thank for your help - really appreciagted
Cheery
Jackie

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Just think of women :ROFLMAO:

old ones can be reliable plodders with bits hanging down and a little saggy on the rear end reluctant to start and not very racy

new ones will be fast and go like the clappers with a pert sexy body and your friends may envy you

BUT

they all have one thing in common they cost you a lot of money:ROFLMAO:

Blimeyolriley

Free Member
Apr 6, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Van Coachbuild
Exp
5 years
don't make the mistake I made and assume that all the facilities work ok. make sure you get the seller to demonstrate everything fitted like the fridge, gas hob,water heater, 230v & 12v electrical systems, Thetford toilet etc .

We went for a 1995 coach built and although everything is a little worn and tatty most things can be cheaply upgraded like cushion covers and curtains, blinds and carpeting etc.

The most important thing to get right in my opinion and experience is to think carefully about how you intend to use the campervan and get one with the right internal layout for comfort.

its little use buying one with a fantastic kitchen and a shower toilet to die-for when your beds and seating are uncomfortable or poorly laid out. You spend maybe 1-2 hours a day in the kitchen and toilet but at least 10 hours a day in bed and on the seating. :winky:

For us , 2x driving captains seats that fully revolve rearwards was one of the most important features we added . Reclining seats with armrests are simply bliss at the end of a long day.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
shame that John Cross Motorhomes was closed

Many thanks for the helpful and amusing replies! Really think the VW I saw is good value - however have seen a newer version - 2001 2.5tdi v 1999 and 2.4. So will do more research.

Drove over to Marquis (Eastbourne) - had a good time looking at all the motorhomes; one's we liked were either too long and / or expensive - but all good fun to look.

Went along to Johns Cross today (Sunday) but closed. Said open on the web page and on the door - and answer phone message asked me to hold on as my call was valued etc... saw 4 other couples drive up look and drive away.

Once again thank for your help - really appreciagted
Cheery
Jackie

Shame you did not find anyone at Johns Cross today.. one would have thought the Easter holiday would be a good time to sell motor homes and parts. I am sure Peter will respond to the facts you highlighted in your post (I hope he will). But you have done the right thing and looked at more than one dealer.

I note you are in Sussex and there is another dealer on the A22 going towards London on the right hand side not far from Upper Dicker... might be worth having a look see there as well.

Bob

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
There have been many improvemets over the years so some people would prefer newer vans. Other people will think that older stuff is simpler to repair.

I do think that whatever age you look at a quality brand will last better, we bought an older van made by a good manufacturer rather than a new cheaper van.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Shame you did not find anyone at Johns Cross today.. one would have thought the Easter holiday would be a good time to sell motor homes and parts. I am sure Peter will respond to the facts you highlighted in your post (I hope he will). But you have done the right thing and looked at more than one dealer.

[HI]I note you are in Sussex and there is another dealer on the A22 going towards London on the right hand side not far from Upper Dicker... [/HI]might be worth having a look see there as well.

Bob

I think this is Marquis Eastbourne mentioned earlier. I know it's not very near Eastbourne.

There is another dealer on the A21 just a couple of miles north of Johns Cross before Hurst Green. Its mainly tuggers but does have some motorhomes.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
i am 58 yrs i don't think age comes into it

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Also there is a dealer at

I think this is Marquis Eastbourne mentioned earlier. I know it's not very near Eastbourne.

There is another dealer on the A21 just a couple of miles north of Johns Cross before Hurst Green. Its mainly tuggers but does have some motorhomes.

At the junction of the road that goes to Edenbridge the road between East Grinstead and Ashust (Tunbridge wells Road) .. Colestock cross Roads .. it seems to have about a dozen motor homes and about 30 caravans on the front.. may be worth a look.. some looked reasonable price.. this site changes hands fairly often.. not like the other we have talked about that have been there years... Also there is one in Peacehaven on the main road (expensive) not far from the Lideo.... main A259.

Bob

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
VW are more expensive on parts. Usual suspect on these, especially 98 onwards (and does effect new ones) is the gearbox. VW state it is a leisure gearbox and thus is designed to do 65k before failure - some do more, many more in fact - others do less, alot less.....so make sure you have a warranty...preferably one that will repay on the same fault over again. The VW gearbox faults are mainly due to the bearings running on the casing, the servo casing failing and the speedo head that controls the gearbox failing - look at around £3500 budget for repairs. older ones better than facelift and newer ones, though expect a few gearbox replacement if using daily.

French bases - Up to 2001/2 water ingress was caused by water being channeled from the scuttle over the top of the gearbox - it was a recall - make sure it was done! If there is no proof, then enagage gears, and look for flicker on speedo as this suggests high box pressure.

After this date, we go onto the rectangular headlight and clipboard on dash models, these had the same gearbox/scuttle arrangement on earlier ones, so check and also had fuel rail spiltting faults - all of which were recalls, so do check that they were done.

The current shape......don't bother - just don't bother!:thumb:

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
A Nice Lad - Maybe

I have seen some very, very, old people in motorhomes.........:RollEyes:

In fact there are quite a few of them around us here at Chester this weekend.......:winky:

When we met this weekend I thought you were a nice lad :whatthe::whatthe:you cheeky young bugger. Still do actually - Great time in your company cheers.:thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
When we met this weekend I thought you were a nice lad :whatthe::whatthe:you cheeky young bugger. Still do actually - Great time in your company cheers.:thumb:

Diane and I had a great time as well, a pleasure to meet you both...........:thumb:

Hope to meet up with you again sometime....

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Age?

Well, our old MB608, 1986, embarked on a 29000km tour to India, suffered one puncture and one centre propshaft bearing,then went to Morrocco and Sahara, came home after 2 years and flew through mot without even an advisory. Passed next 3 mots no probs. Still going strong on original everything (other than brake shoes and filters etc.). Can't think of many tupperwares that could boast that...

Latest 1991 Ducato-based Dethleffs - let the side down totally by failing the mot 2 weeks ago - cost £3.09 to fix (cv gaiter split) ...

One for £3k, the other £8.5 ...

:Smile:

Ceephax

Free Member
Feb 19, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt & Classic
Exp
15 years
Well speaking as someone who has just bought a 20 year old motorhome, I would say age does not matter. The advantage I have is a bulletproof engine and power train, with a tdi conversion. The trader I bought it off had changed all the oven, fridge, shower and serviced everything. No fancy electronic modules and my mate is a Merc engine expert so no worries there either. Loads of character too.

We checked for smell and signs of damp. On the downside, the original interior is nice but will need a retrim in a year or so. We have two dogs though so its not a priority. Also check its not been bodged, or messed about with by amateur "experts"

Next job is reversing camera and a freview tv.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back