Slow cookers (1 Viewer)

Aug 24, 2011
Ribble valley, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Can anyone recommend a low voltage slow cooker suitable for meals for two? I would feel safer with a cooker fitted with a timer.

Thanks,

Brian

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Can anyone recommend a low voltage slow cooker suitable for meals for two? I would feel safer with a cooker fitted with a timer.

Thanks,

Brian

We bought a new slow cooker recently, it's a Giles & Posner one and it's a 180 watt model, so quite low on the power. It great to leave on at the low setting and just let it cook away whilst you're out for the day or overnight.

We have only used it at home so far, but were thinking of taking it with us in the mh, as it's much smaller than our first one and doesn't take up too much space on the worktop. It's only 9 inches in diameter, which is ideal with space at a premium:thumb:

I don't know of any fitted with a timer, but it's got a low, high and a stay warm setting on it. It has an indicator light on it, whereas our first one didn't Could you use a timer switch with one and just set it for the required time?
Margaret

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
assuming you mean low voltage (12v) and not low wattage........while they are available, i certainly wouldn't recommend any 12v slow cooker.

a regular 230v one will be cooking for hours on end so a 12v one will be the same.....resulting in a flat battery in a short time.

in my opinion this Link Removed is a much better idea.

i don't own one but have seen it in action at one of the motorhome shows.

simply stick the ingredients in the inner pot, bring to the boil on the hob, place the inner pot in the outer pot and fit the lid...it keeps cooking without any power input.

you could prepare the meal at breakfast, secure the pot and drive all day then have a ready cooked meal at tea time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
my advice would be forget it .use a 3litre pressure cooker . not slow very fast ten minutes when you come back sorted . ideal for two. bigger ones not so handy.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
assuming you mean low voltage (12v) and not low wattage........while they are available, i certainly wouldn't recommend any 12v slow cooker.

a regular 230v one will be cooking for hours on end so a 12v one will be the same.....resulting in a flat battery in a short time.

simply stick the ingredients in the inner pot, bring to the boil on the hob, place the inner pot in the outer pot and fit the lid...it keeps cooking without any power input.

Just a thought, would we still have a problem whilst on EHU, if we had nothing else on at the same time?

Margaret

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just a thought, would we still have a problem whilst on EHU, if we had nothing else on at the same time?

Margaret
180watts on 230v hookup is very low power...around 3/4 of an amp.

you usually have 16amps to play with.

if yours is 12v 180w it will use around 15amps per hour so your charger should keep up with it on hookup.
but if you have hookup its better to use a mains cooker.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp

you could prepare the meal at breakfast, secure the pot and drive all day then have a ready cooked meal at tea time.

The one I use is not identical to Mr D's thermal pot but works the same. It is called a Dream Pot http://www.dreampot.com.au/. Stupid name but works well ::bigsmile: I bought mine at Stratford, I got the small one.Jane :Smile:

OP
OP
L
Aug 24, 2011
Ribble valley, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thermal Cooker

This sounds perfect, I called Mr D, they are out of stock but he said he will call me back in two weeks.

christa32

Free Member
Aug 25, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
actively looking
Exp

but if you have hookup its better to use a mains cooker.

I am new and looking at buying a VW campervan or potentially a Mazda bongo. I'm learning about how the leisure battery works vs mains hookup, and I was curious about this comment 'if you have hookup it's better to use a mains cooker' because I thought in general the cookers were powered with gas? I would appreciate understanding this better :) Thanks

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Built in ovens are gas. Some carry portable electric cooking devices - mini oven, Remoska, slow cooker, etc

christa32

Free Member
Aug 25, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
actively looking
Exp
Thank you Bryan. So, just so I'm understanding this, if it had a portable electric mini oven, that wouldn't really be any different than using a plug-in slow cooker the original person was asking about?

My current (newbie) understanding is that when not hooked up, I can only use low voltage appliances, but when hooked up I could use appliances (slow cooker or whatever) like I can at home?

Sorry that these are basic questions! Thank you.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Sort of. There are devices (inverters) which will give you mains voltage from your 12v leisure battery. They come in various sizes but could allow you to use a household slow cooker from your battery. It needs a bit of research before you order one though as their usefulness can be dependent on battery capacity.

Last edited:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
But, without an inverter you are correct - you can only use mains electric devices when on hookup.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

Thanks,

Brian

You certainly won`t need a timer, cooking timers in slow cookers can vary from 5 hours to 10 hours so you will always be around at some stage, it won`t harm the food if you go over time an hour.
You can of course if you want a timer buy one of those timer plugs.

Our slow cooker is used summer and winter, nothing better than just loading it up with a chicken that has garlic and rosemary flavoured butter pushed under the breast skin, turning the slow cooker on setting it to medium and leaving it alone for 6 hrs.
Yummy.

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006

We've got the Mr D thermal cooker one and use it all the time, even when at home. Heat everything up to bubbling on the hob, then just drop into the thermal container. Prefer that to leaving something plugged in.

Cheers
Al.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We're not that impressed with the Mr D thermal cooker. Find we need to reheat the pot on the cooker after it's been "cooking" in the outer for a few hours as it's not really hot enough to eat.

Joe & Denise

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you Bryan. So, just so I'm understanding this, if it had a portable electric mini oven, that wouldn't really be any different than using a plug-in slow cooker the original person was asking about?

My current (newbie) understanding is that when not hooked up, I can only use low voltage appliances, but when hooked up I could use appliances (slow cooker or whatever) like I can at home?

Sorry that these are basic questions! Thank you.
You need to be a bit careful what 230 volt mains cooking equipment you use even on a hook-up. Any type of slow cooker should be fine, because as others have mentioned, they do not require a great deal of power. But campsite hookups do vary as to what current they provide. Normally, in the UK, it's in the region of 10 - 16 amps. However on the continent, it is not unusual to have only 6 amps available and occasionally less than that. On older smaller sites in France, for example, you might be faced with as little as 3 amps - and in fact at one place we stayed last year it was only 2 amps! Only any good for trickle charging the battery and running a small fridge.

Electric hot plates and domestic kettles can cause problems, although low power versions are available from camping shops. And an excellent substitute for an oven is an electric Remoska. Again low power - ours is rated at 400 watts.

I'd be wary about using any cooking devices on 12 volts with an inverter (ie no hookup), unless you know what you're doing. It's certainly feasible with slow cookers - as many on here can testify - but it's also easy to flatten your battery in double quick time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back