Modifications and insurance quotes? (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2012
Lincs, nr Peterborough
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Hello, we are in the process of trying to arrange insurance for our new (4 years old) van, our first ever van, I should add, which we collect towards the end of this month and have been asked if it has any modifications. My husband asked what that would include and the reply was well does it have cruise control fitted for example?

Well it does but it also has many other things which were factory fitted from new. So my question is, what counts as a modification in the eyes of an insurance company which also has to be disclosed? I wouldn't have thought that cruise control was at the top of the list.

Surely, the insured value would reflect any extras/mods fitted. Can anyone throw any light on this please? Want to make sure that we are properly insured but such questions make me feel uneasy.

Thanks
Hazel.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
when I added various items I asked

I am insured by safeguard. When I purchased my RV I had a lot of extras fitted by VanBitz .. TV satellite dome, back up camera, alarm etc., etc.,

So I called safeguard and they said they were not interested. They would only payout on the basic value of the RV as I had paid for... even despite getting it £7k below market price advertised they would only cover it for the basic £28k .... see red link below to view the vehicle - allow to load.

Bob

OP
OP
hazelandjohn
Mar 12, 2012
Lincs, nr Peterborough
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Bob. The implication is then that an insurance company will pay out the market value of the van if it already includes the mods, but not if you add them yourself? We are obviously paying for the extras in the asking price for the van, so would expect that to be its insured value.

Seems like a very grey area to me.

Hazel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
interesting slant

Thanks Bob. The implication is then that an insurance company will pay out the market value of the van if it already includes the mods, but not if you add them yourself? We are obviously paying for the extras in the asking price for the van, so would expect that to be its insured value.

Hazel.

That is an interesting slant.... if my RV had all the extras it has now £14k a pox .. that would make the RV £42k but as we all know it does not matter what you add to the vehicle it has a base value in effect. My RV of course has cruise as factory fitted, so I presume in is after market fitted items they are concerned about. But as I say Safeguard said only the price I paid as shown on the purchase receipt.

Might be worth asking other insurance companies for a view on this?

Bob

OP
OP
hazelandjohn
Mar 12, 2012
Lincs, nr Peterborough
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
That is an interesting slant.... if my RV had all the extras it has now £14k a pox .. that would make the RV £42k but as we all know it does not matter what you add to the vehicle it has a base value in effect. My RV of course has cruise as factory fitted, so I presume in is after market fitted items they are concerned about. But as I say Safeguard said only the price I paid as shown on the purchase receipt.

Might be worth asking other insurance companies for a view on this?

Bob

Yes, we will certainly try to clarify this, as all the mods bar one extra solar panel were factory fitted.

Hazel.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
My insurance asked the same question, I also asked for clarification, They told me that satellite/tv etc. were "extras" & things like changing the wheels/suspension etc.were "modifications"

OP
OP
hazelandjohn
Mar 12, 2012
Lincs, nr Peterborough
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
My insurance asked the same question, I also asked for clarification, They told me that satellite/tv etc. were "extras" & things like changing the wheels/suspension etc.were "modifications"

So does that mean that they would insure the 'modifciations' but not the 'extras'.?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
No, it means they are treated differently.

If it's a modification they are more interested in how it might affect performance/handing etc.& who made/fitted it, e.g remap, air suspension, alloys.

If it's an extra it's not likely to make it go faster & may be part of the contents, or it may be a safety feature that might reduce the premium, rear camera/ alarm/reversing sensors etc.

OP
OP
hazelandjohn
Mar 12, 2012
Lincs, nr Peterborough
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
No, it means they are treated differently.

If it's a modification they are more interested in how it might affect performance/handing etc.& who made/fitted it, e.g remap, air suspension, alloys.

If it's an extra it's not likely to make it go faster & may be part of the contents, or it may be a safety feature that might reduce the premium, rear camera/ alarm/reversing sensors etc.

Yes, of course that makes sense. It isn't black and white in terms of what is insured and not insured, but more a question of estimating overall risk. There is still the question of insured value.

More phone calls, I think and a need to be much more specific. Probably too late tonight, but I'll post our findings. Thanks for your help.

Hazel.

OP
OP
hazelandjohn
Mar 12, 2012
Lincs, nr Peterborough
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Update. We managed to get through to Caravaguard tonight who have clarified that as long as you can prove that the van had the extras/modifications fitted when bought, and a receipt for the sum paid, then that will be the insured value. Having said that, satellite systems seem to have to be declared separately and attract an additional premium!

Hazel.

Aug 23, 2011
Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Lyseo 727g
Exp
since 2011
Off topic slightly (but still on insurance). I have just moved my bus from a secure MOD establishment with security cameras and detectors up the ying-yang, 8 foot wire fences, armed Ghurka patrols every half an hour, 24 hour manned (and fully armed) security on the gate, to an open farm half a mile away.

The insurance company gave me a £43 refund on my premium. :Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Off topic slightly (but still on insurance). I have just moved my bus from a secure MOD establishment with security cameras and detectors up the ying-yang, 8 foot wire fences, armed Ghurka patrols every half an hour, 24 hour manned (and fully armed) security on the gate, to an open farm half a mile away.

postcode lottery :Angry:

OP
OP
hazelandjohn
Mar 12, 2012
Lincs, nr Peterborough
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012

There must be logic somewhere! :RollEyes:

We have just tried to tell the truth about where our motorhome will be stored - sometimes on the drive, when its being used more frequently in the warmer months and the rest of the time in storage (CASSOA Gold site just down the road - so virtually the same postcode)
and were told we have to say one or the other as there is only room for one option on the screen!

Hazel.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
There must be logic somewhere! :RollEyes:

We have just tried to tell the truth about where our motorhome will be stored - sometimes on the drive, when its being used more frequently in the warmer months and the rest of the time in storage (CASSOA Gold site just down the road - so virtually the same postcode)
and were told we have to say one or the other as there is only room for one option on the screen!

Hazel.

Our motorhome cover with Comfort stated either on your own property, or in a specified storage approved by the underwriters. with CCTV and security So check your policy wording.

John

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
When I had my 'crowd control' fitted I rang the insurers to ask if they needed to be informed. She said "It won't affect your insurance but I'll make a note of it on our records". Make what you will of that

Wyn

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

Hazel.

There's nothing grey about it Hazel. Your earlier interpretation of a modification is spot on. If there have been any modifications to your mh since it left the factory tell the Insurance.

Its no good arguing about any modifications when you're Insurance company refuses to pay out on a claim

I wouldn't get to nervous about it though, its easy enough to write down any mods and then read them out to the Insurance company when you ring for your quote, more often than not they will just say there not relevant.

Most of the people giving Insurance Quotes over the phone wouldn't know the back end of a mh from the front.

Jim
:Smile:

Edit: Forget on line quote applications. Ring them up or get them to ring you. As soon as you start to put info about your mh and related Insurance info on the web, every Insurance Company in the world will find out and you will not get a competitive quote.

OP
OP
hazelandjohn
Mar 12, 2012
Lincs, nr Peterborough
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Our motorhome cover with Comfort stated either on your own property, or in a specified storage approved by the underwriters. with CCTV and security So check your policy wording.

John

Thank you John, yes we queried this further, with Safeguard, I think, who seem to be a little more on the ball than other companies we have spoken to so far. They said, it was OK if it was on the drive from time to time as they expect it to be there whilst being loaded. But this is certainly something we will double check before we decide who to go with.

Comfort have given us the best quote so far, but have limited windscreen cover up tp £3000 and from what I have read, this could fall a long way short of what might be needed. I know you can't insure yourselves against every eventuality, it's just a question of getting the best balance of risks for your individual circumstances.

Hazel.

OP
OP
hazelandjohn
Mar 12, 2012
Lincs, nr Peterborough
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Yes Jim, that's exactly what we are now doing. We have along list of everything that's on the van and usually as you say, they're not really bothered about them. But of course if you hadn't told them, they could argue the point.

As for on line quotations, most won't quote if the van is over a certain value, so phone calls it is!

Hazel

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
I always tell the insurance companies about anything that deviates from the original spec when was supplied new.Also if your circumstances change ie redundancy etc ;my wife was made redundant last year and became unemployed her insurance went up because the car was deemed to be used more because she the had more time to use it.:RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back