Answers on a postcard please. (1 Viewer)

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
After our M/H (55 plate 2.8 Ducato) split an intercooler pipe in Spain we managed to source and fit a new one in Benidorm. While on the journey home a similar noise started when we were accelerating. I can only describe it as a "whizzing" noise, noticeable as the revs were between 2 and 3 thousand RPM. When cruising the noise cannot be heard.
Three weeks ago took it into a local commercial garage(our local Fiat commercial/motorhome company went into liquidation) and asked for an investigation. Result was that we had a new turbocharger fitted as there was play in the old one. Also a new downpipe (old one rusted) and as a precaution had new cambelt fitted.
Went to pick it up yesterday (£1600 poorer) and started it up and original noise was still there.:Doh::Doh::Doh:
The manager was so embarrassed and immediately had it taken back into the workshop.I spent four hours there with every mechanic in the place trying to find the noise.They disconnected pipes and belts to eliminate things and could not identify it. They are now sending it to another garage for diagnosis(at their cost).
I just want it back. Typical as the weather is so good at the moment.
Anyone else had a similar noise?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That's the sort of thing that usually happens to me!

I hope they sort it. You should be due a refund as well.

I used to have a car with a turbo and you could hear it whizzing as you accelerated. I haven't heard it in my van though.

I know nothing about engines though:Blush:

Good luck.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We had a similar noise on our first Hymer (Ducato 2.5TD) - quite noisy when the windows were open and a real head turner. However, as I drove mainly with a light right foot it didnt worry me too much and still drove ok. The garage should be able to hear if its the turbo though by putting a piece of wood on it and sticking their ear on the other end (it amused me when the mechanic brought out this tool for the job)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
After our M/H (55 plate 2.8 Ducato) split an intercooler pipe in Spain we managed to source and fit a new one in Benidorm. While on the journey home a similar noise started when we were accelerating. I can only describe it as a "whizzing" noise, noticeable as the revs were between 2 and 3 thousand RPM. When cruising the noise cannot be heard.
Three weeks ago took it into a local commercial garage(our local Fiat commercial/motorhome company went into liquidation) and asked for an investigation. Result was that we had a new turbocharger fitted as there was play in the old one. Also a new downpipe (old one rusted) and as a precaution had new cambelt fitted.
Went to pick it up yesterday (£1600 poorer) and started it up and original noise was still there.:Doh::Doh::Doh:
The manager was so embarrassed and immediately had it taken back into the workshop.I spent four hours there with every mechanic in the place trying to find the noise.They disconnected pipes and belts to eliminate things and could not identify it. They are now sending it to another garage for diagnosis(at their cost).
I just want it back. Typical as the weather is so good at the moment.
Anyone else had a similar noise?

I have a similar whirring noise from mine 02 2.8 jtd its been there since I've owned it.
Had it checked can't find out where its coming from, please let me know if you do discover what it is.
We've done about 8000 miles since we've owned it and it goes like a dream so the noise is'nt effecting performance and its only there when the engines under pressure which is why I had the turbo checked.:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Just to say that I have finally had the problem sorted. It turned out to be a tiny split in an exhaust manifold gasket.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

A very interesting story, probably would fit with yours Rory as it ain't going to make it stop working.
Just wondered how you got on with the garage? I mean a cambelt is about £300 job and an exhaust manifold gasket wont be that much neither?

Did they still insist on you paying for the Turbo Problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back