Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Having sorted a vehicle I rang Comfort for a quote today and after running through everything the girl on the other end confirmed that I would have RAC cover for European recovery. Interesting that as I've been a member for years since my daughter worked at the control centre on the M6. About 6 years ago we wanted to take my Land Rover 110 to France and they wouldn't cover it because it was over twenty years old, so why is it that I can now get cover for a 28 year old motorhome for the whole of Europe for £58 and why have I just paid my RAC membership for this year?

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Having sorted a vehicle I rang Comfort for a quote today and after running through everything the girl on the other end confirmed that I would have RAC cover for European recovery. Interesting that as I've been a member for years since my daughter worked at the control centre on the M6. About 6 years ago we wanted to take my Land Rover 110 to France and they wouldn't cover it because it was over twenty years old, so why is it that I can now get cover for a 28 year old motorhome for the whole of Europe for £58 and why have I just paid my RAC membership for this year?

Comfort insurance is through AVIVA who also own the RAC. You cannot get the cover direct with RAC at those prices and without weight height restrictions.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
That explains a lot.

I can also confirm it works.

Breakdown 1 in the south lakes. We had our fan belt tensioners fail. We were recovered to Askham in Furness on a flat bed recovery truck. This one is used to recover full 44 ton trucks. This was because of our rear overhang and we are 4600kg loaded. We did have to wait for the recovery truck (which we were happy to do) as it was involved in a recovery on the other side of the country near Newcastle upon Tyne.

Breakdown 2 Piecenza Italy in a blizzard in January this year. We were directed off the autoroute by the police through the toll booth. They were doing this for all vehicles. We then noticed vehicles going through the toll back onto the autoroute so we made our way through the parked wagons to the other side. We got our ticket and headed for our road to Bologna. The police directed us to take the other road back to Milano. I stopped and then stalled over two lanes of the toll exits and the engine would not turn over on the starter. The alternator had failed and it later turned out so had the starter battery. We were towed by the police car to the side and recovered back through the toll booth to a garage in Piecenza. The RAC provided translators on the phone to make our communications with the garage staff easy and they were ready to provide us with hotel accommodation if the repair could not be completed that day in with the cover.

It is well worth the fee for the peace of mind.

John

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
is there not a time limit of 90 days on RAC

I seem to recall there is a time away of 90 days max on RAC? sure it has been discussed before.

Hence Safeguard is used as it is unlimited .

Bob

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Is that per annum,

Thanks Bob, is that per trip or 90 days per year?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I think it was per trip

Thanks Bob, is that per trip or 90 days per year?

I think it was per trip as it caused issues for those going to the Spanish meet over the winter.

By the way have you considered ADAC.. that the the German breakdown service.. like the AA but has 17m members in Europe ... lots of UK members and they do a good recovery plus lots of extras like line of credit, parts delivery, replacement prescriptions , tow out of mud etc., etc., for less than £100 a year and it is valid in the UK (they use the AA) and all the countries around the med and in Europe .. even an extension for the USA if you need it.

Lots of posts about it on the site if you do a search.

Bob

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I seem to recall there is a time away of 90 days max on RAC? sure it has been discussed before.

Hence Safeguard is used as it is unlimited .

Bob

That may be the case if you go direct.

If you go through Comfort it is 365 days, no trip limit although max 182 days in any one country in 12 months. No size or weight limits and trailer also covered.

John

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
If I recall was it not via the caravan club?

That may be the case if you go direct.

If you go through Comfort it is 365 days, no trip limit although max 182 days in any one country in 12 months. No size or weight limits and trailer also covered.

John

Was it not if you went via the caravan club? as I get all year cover with safeguard it was not of a concern to me.. but seem to remember there was an issue.. ADAC is also all year cover.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back