Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Read it and still non the wiser

I looked at the site and I am still non the wiser:Sad: it may be it is before I have had my second cup of tea or my breakfast.

What makes this unit any different to others? is it the auto shut off when it gets to 80 % full? or the fact you can see how much LPG gas is left in the bottle?

Have a main LPG tank on my RV I am used to filling up in a garage which I do and also in europe with no issues. This just seems to be an expensive bottle with a valve that a normal LPG fits.. not cheap....

May be of use if I could fill one and them dump back to my main LPG tank while say in Spain, but as a main tank! got my concerns.

Bob

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I looked at them but decided against because of bottle size. In our previous van we could just fit two Calor 6Kg bottles in the locker. The larger size of the Safefill bottles meant we would only have been able to fit one and its capacity may have been too low for a stay of several days if the weather had been bad/cold.

The current van has enough space for two Safefill bottles but we decided to have a single Alugas (only slightly taller, smaller diameter and higher capacity) fitted with a proper, fixed, fill point on the side of the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I looked at the site and I am still non the wiser:Sad: it may be it is before I have had my second cup of tea or my breakfast.

What makes this unit any different to others? is it the auto shut off when it gets to 80 % full? or the fact you can see how much LPG gas is left in the bottle?

Have a main LPG tank on my RV I am used to filling up in a garage which I do and also in europe with no issues. This just seems to be an expensive bottle with a valve that a normal LPG fits.. not cheap....

May be of use if I could fill one and them dump back to my main LPG tank while say in Spain, but as a main tank! got my concerns.

Bob

So your answer is No.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, in resent years a few companies have sold these bottles, I saw this company last year at a show or two :Smile: and I would say going from experience that you will have problems filling this type of bottle at some garages, I say some not all.

We have had refillable bottles for 5 years, starting with Gaslow, and then changing to Alugas, the main reason for changing was they weigh half as much as the steel bottles. :thumb:

But all bottles have an 80% cut off valve, and I have always had an external filler. ::bigsmile:

I have removed the handles and fixed the the bottles, and never had a problem, in the old eastern Germany a couple of years ago, before you got any gas they came and checked what you were filling before they turned the pump on, and most of the time filled for you.::bigsmile:

I can see you walking around the pump with one of those bottles and being refused.

:Smile: Bob.

Attachments

• alugas bottles straped.jpg
    alugas bottles straped.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 44
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
With all the issues over filling gas bottles has got me wondering,how and where do balloonists fill their propane tanks?

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I saw them at Newark, I was not impressed by the mob selling them, so i didnt buy. Some potential buyers brought up potential issue of opening a locker door to fill, and whether that may be a problem, as i didnt buy, it wont be a problem for me.::bigsmile:

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi Shirl
I too had a good look at this system at one of the shows,but thought there was to many issues regarding filling even though they are fitted with the 80% cut-off valve,as others have already said.
In the end I went for the Alugas system with external filler fitted by Dave Newell:thumb:
IMO pound for pound a much better set-up.
Steve.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Even their own web site says many garages will refuse them, which is totally understandable, as it just looks like filling an ordinary gas bottle.
They have no facility for an external filler on the van so I would say they are pretty nearly useless.:Sad:

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
Thanks everyone for your input. I was concerned that there would be problems filling them. Even if you found a garage that would allow you to fill it, there still would be problems keeping the bottle upright, while you press the gas button (2 person job ?). All the input I found on these bottles were mainly from the caravan fraternity.

Shirl

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
remember we charge in 6 minute blocks

True.......

One word = £10

Two Hundred Words = £2000

or just put it in a letter for £350 + VAT......:RollEyes:

and at the end of the day you still lose, lawyers win.....:whistle::whistle:

Remember we charge in 6 minute blocks of time.. go to the 7th minute and you get charged for 12 minutes.

The more words the bigger the bill.... in matrimonial cases both lawyers win....

Bob:Blush:

motomike

Free Member
May 2, 2012
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
since 2008
Supposedly the issue of refilling is becoming less of a problem as more garages are allowing the user to use their pumps. The website has a PDF file listing the garages to use.
Still unsure though...will look into the alternatives.
MM

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i have to open my locker door to fill my gaslow bottle as the filler is mounted inside , i have never been stopped filling the bottle at any garage i use, the benefit i see with this bottle is i would be able to take it to the garage in my car to refill and not have to drive the motorhome there

simonbartlett

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Redwood
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2000
I purchased one of these bottles . First one leaked!! Second had a sticky valve. I am now on my third so I hope I have more luck with this one.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Supposedly the issue of refilling is becoming less of a problem as more garages are allowing the user to use their pumps. The website has a PDF file listing the garages to use.
Still unsure though...will look into the alternatives.
MM

best alternative is an 80 litre fixed tank and external filler if you have the room underneath.

which i wish i had fitted instead of the gaslow.

but as they say hind sight is perfect foresight.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That's a new one on me.

Grand idea but I suspect most places won't let you fill up because they think you are one of the masses trying to kill themselves.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That's a new one on me.

Grand idea but I suspect most places won't let you fill up because they think you are one of the masses trying to kill themselves.

Actually I now think not so grand. As far as I can see it has one port so unlike Gaslow etc you have to unscrew your gas line to refill. So not a patch on Gaslow for our purposes.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Where to refill
LPG is now available on many petrol station forecourts however as the industry has had concerns about people illegally filling rented cylinders, you may be refused in many of these until the Safefill message has been completely understood.

Errr, and just when will that be ?????

no time soon, believe me !

kiwicamper

Free Member
Jun 8, 2009
christchurch NZ
Funster No
MH
fully intergrated
Exp
since 2000
Do you not have bottle exchange at most garages ,as we do here?
We have two bottles and exchange them for full when necessary:whatthe:

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
We've got a Safefilll bottle and like it. We can fill it easily at a local garage and because we can see how much is in the bottle, we just top it up as we start any trip. Don't have to take it out of the locker and it's no big deal disconnecting the pig tail.

Steve :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Do you not have bottle exchange at most garages ,as we do here?
We have two bottles and exchange them for full when necessary:whatthe:
we certainly do......at twice the price of filling at the LPG/autogas pumps.:Eeek::Angry:

the problem with Europe is every country has a different type of bottle outlet and regulator and you cant buy the commonest UK (Calor) gas in mainland Europe and this also applies to most European countries...France doesn't have Spanish bottles, Spain doesn't have Italian bottles etc.
so the best option is a proper refillable bottle and fill at the autogas fuel pumps using various adaptors by country.

not really any different to filling an LPG powered car but the British fuel station owners usually dont allow it.

kiwicamper

Free Member
Jun 8, 2009
christchurch NZ
Funster No
MH
fully intergrated
Exp
since 2000
we certainly do......at twice the price of filling at the LPG/autogas pumps.:Eeek::Angry:

the problem with Europe is every country has a different type of bottle outlet and regulator and you cant buy the commonest UK (Calor) gas in mainland Europe and this also applies to most European countries...France doesn't have Spanish bottles, Spain doesn't have Italian bottles etc.
so the best option is a proper refillable bottle and fill at the autogas fuel pumps using various adaptors by country.

not really any different to filling an LPG powered car but the British fuel station owners usually dont allow it.

We are only travelling the UK this trip.Believe you hire bottles rather than own them as we do here , is this correct?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
correct.

you pay a (refundable :ROFLMAO:) deposit on the bottle from a calor dealer and pay for each exchange.
not sure of the current gas cost as i have an underslung 130ltr tank filled at the pumps but around £26/£27 for a 13kg bottle
dont hold your breath for the deposit back when you finish with the bottle though unless you keep the original contract/reciept.

sometimes you can 'buy' a bottle, often with gas, from newspaper ads or local rubbish tips for a lot less than the deposit.

there are other makes available but not all are national whereas Calor is available throughout the UK.

Last edited:

kiwicamper

Free Member
Jun 8, 2009
christchurch NZ
Funster No
MH
fully intergrated
Exp
since 2000
correct.

you pay a (refundable :ROFLMAO:) deposit on the bottle from a calor dealer and pay for each exchange.
dont hold your breath for the deposit back when you finish with the bottle though unless you keep the original contract/reciept.

sometimes you can 'buy' a bottle, often with gas, from newspaper ads or local rubbish tips for a lot less than the deposit.

there are other makes available but not all are national whereas Calor is available throughout the UK.

Thanks Papajohn you are a mine of information and I apreciate you taking time to reply to my innane questions.
Will buy you a beer if we cross paths next year:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back