LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Went away yesterday. gas working fine on arrival and this morning--made tea, used water heater.
Switched off water heater.
After lunch decided to make a cup of tea--no gas coming through to hob. Thought it was odd as gas cylinder only been used for 1 weekend and yesterday. However, the cylinder did seem light--wondered if I'd be sold a duff cylinder so swapped to 2nd (new one)
No gas coming through to the hob at all. Even if I just turn on one burner, wait to see if it is air displacement, there is no sound of gas at all.

I looked through all the manuals--no mention of any automatic, emergency switch off.
I've not altered any of the knobs--they are all in open position.

Shall I try the water heater ?

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Gas cooker

Make sure the glass cooker lid is completely up or this sometimes cuts of the gas supply
Alan

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Make sure the glass cooker lid is completely up or this sometimes cuts of the gas supply
Alan

Yes, did that.
Also thought of draft from door so closed that--there is no gas coming through at all, yet it worked OK this morning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Me suspects your regulater may have gorn up the spout:Sad:

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
No gas at all?

Sounds real simple,

Or

Regulator?

however, normally with a duff reg, you get something somewhere and strange it just stopped?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Oh bu****. Only had this regulator put on about 3 weeks ago--but it wasn't a new one so maybe it's knackered. Would I be able to change it if I bought a new one tomorrow?

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
In your gas locker where the bottles and regulator are, (follow the hose from your bottle), do you have a little push button under the regulator?

Mine is yellow, I think, it's on the underside.

I have to push mine in (upwards) to reset it before the gas will flow again, if the gas has been turned off at the bottle or gas has run out, or the bottle disconnected/changed.

Upvote 0

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Gas bottle empty...........or regulator

The newer truma regulators are not too impressive......seems the get oil inside them from the gas bottles then pack up.......the older ones went on forever....thats progress !

barry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
In your gas locker where the bottles and regulator are, (follow the hose from your bottle), do you have a little push button under the regulator?

I have to push mine in (upwards) to reset it before the gas will flow again, if the gas has been turned off at the bottle or gas has run out, or the bottle disconnected/changed.

Thanks--but can't find any button. :Sad:
Heater and water heater won't work either so I'm hoping it is just a duff regulator --I didn't realise they could stop working (but then I don't really know what they do)
I'll buy another tomorrow.

Was having such a nice time at La Jamaye too. I was the only person there last night and til about 10 this morning & dogs were having a great time chasing lizards.

Attachments

• La Jamaye April 2.jpg
    La Jamaye April 2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 37
  • April 2 La Jamaye.jpg
    April 2 La Jamaye.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
when you fit new regulator make sure it is above the level of the bottles or at least the pigtail drops down to the bottles, that way any sludge in the gas will not GUM up the regulator. common fault with intermitant gas flow.:Eeek:

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Its only a 5 minute job to change a regulator, but you need to get the correct one. They come in 10mm (more common) and 8mm output.

once youve got the correct regulator
turn off cylinder/s and disconnect the high pressure side of the regulator (at the other end of flexi pipe from bottle/s
unscrew the outlet nut (it wont come off yet)
undo the screws holing regulator bracket to the wall
lift off faulty regulator from pipe

reinstall new regulator in reverse order and check you get the connectors tight
after installation get some washing up liquid in a cup with water to dilute
turn on cylinder/s and paint the washing up liquid around joints
CHECK FOR BUBBLES, which mean you have a leak
tighten and retest if neccessary

when your happy its all done, go indoors and light the gas hob etc to proove its all ok. will take a while to light as you need to purge air from the pipes, just keep the knob turned on and pushed in until gas comes through

sit back and enjoy a beer or a cuppa:thumb:

forgot to say if you fit another truma regulator you will need to hold the button in on the regulator to purge the air from that too. Oh and be prepared to replace again and again until you buy one from cleese etc

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Buy a compatible Gaslow Regulator, far superior product and has a 5 year warranty :thumb: we did after our almost new Truma reg died. Slightly more expensive but what price reliability and peace of mind?

Upvote 0

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
no gas

Are you using Butane because its been cold enough for it to stop vapourising - the result is no gas until it warms up again.

Upvote 0

Technophobe

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
when you fit new regulator make sure it is above the level of the bottles or at least the pigtail drops down to the bottles, that way any sludge in the gas will not GUM up the regulator.

That's what I thought, but on my last van, the (Truma) regulator was well above the bottles - but it still packed in. On a Bank Holiday as well - fortunately the site knew of a repairer who was available and sorted me out (well, sorted the regulator out - I'm well beyond sorting out :Doh:)

Jon

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Simple things first
Check you have gas in cylinder,use pressure gauge if you have but i guess you havent
Remove cyl and just crack open valve,you will soon know if you have gas or not
If not chances are its been leaking from time of replacment,i now always check joint when replacing cyl
If you have gas then work your way back through system:thumb:

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And just to confuse the issue a little...........

We have Alugas system fitted
There is a valve in the pigtail... Mine jammed completely shut !!
I replaced the truma regulator knowing how duff the new ones are ( with a gaslow one just as Stewart says ) only to find I STILL had no gas.. It was only then I discovered the pigtail was completely blocked by the bloody valve

There was an up side.. I no longer have to worry about the Truma giving up the ghost at an inconvenient moment !

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just as a precaution and a safety issue.... I would get your gas line preasure tested...

Just in case a joint is leaking.. As you thought it was a newish bottle or only been used one weekend.. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Or you used blown air and its a 6k bottle !! Mine empties one of those in a day !!!

Upvote 0

Big Deefer

Free Member
Oct 27, 2011
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
truma?

My very first trip out involved no gas coming thru... quick trip to spares shop supplied me with 1 proper calor propane reg, 1m of pipe and 2 jubilee clips. problem solved.apparently Truma regs are not up to much reliabiity wise..

Upvote 0

boleyngirl

Free Member
Jun 3, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Total newbie
Thank you soooo much!!

You have just saved us a lot of money buying a new regulator. We bought new gas bottle, put it on and just a trickle of gas. We came home from campsite as no electric hookup available. I went onto this website from Google and read your answer re yellow button and yes!!! We have a yellow button, so the button wouldn't press in so we took it off and pushed a little rod into the hole and as if by magic we have a full working gas cooker again. Thank you so so much!!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back