Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Can anyone who has an older Motorhome give me some idea of how many owners they would regard as excessive on a 26 year old Motorhome?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
26 .. as normally they change hands very 2 years

Can anyone who has an older Motorhome give me some idea of how many owners they would regard as excessive on a 26 year old Motorhome?

Some keep them for years, but in the early days they get changed every 2 years or so... so if you have 9 in 26 years that is not unusual.

Now if you had one a year then it would be... so how long did the last owner have it for?

Bob

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Some people buy them thinking - great we can go away when we want without really researching whether said vehicle is right for them and sadly they find it not suitable and sell it on, most of these vehicles dont do a great deal of milage per owner and may not of been used as much as you would expect for a vheicle that age - on the other hand as stated you could get a 1 or 2 owner vehicle that has been hammered use wise

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
In my humble opinion it is what condition the last owner from which you are inheriting,
has maintained the whole of the vehicle.

Some older vehicles having passed through the hands of several good owners will have benefited from their combined efforts to improve the vehicle from the standard.

regards
Steve:thumb:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
how many woman drivers its had:winky::winky:

Why?, when a vehicle is being driven by a woman, some people say 'women drivers'!, and when reversing women drivers are frowned upon, and when behind one being driven sensibly, some people retort, 'women shouldn't be allowed on the road!
YET, when it comes to a vehicle being sold, it glamourises the fact that it has had, one lady owner.
This puzzles me.

Craig

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
that is the point actually

In my humble opinion it is what condition the last owner from which you are inheriting,
has maintained the whole of the vehicle.

Some older vehicles having passed through the hands of several good owners will have benefited from their combined efforts to improve the vehicle from the standard.

regards
Steve:thumb:

That Steve is the point.. it is how each owner has looked after the vehicle. From the day we purchased our RV we kept notes of what we did and why, repairs and maintenance. all the receipts etc., we are now half way through our second A4 binder... hundreds and hundred of pages.. some items in the earlier pages have been replaced such as the domestic batteries. but if I have attended to it, then it is listed. even the issues that caused concerns ... so whoever gets my Winnebago after e gets a full service and owner maintenance log. I hope that person also carries it on and passes it down the line to other owners.

The bad part of keeping everything is knowing i have spent the best part of ÂŁ15k on the RV since I purchased it for ÂŁ28k when it was 5 years old.. took a year to arrive and get on the road in the UK and was on a dealers front in Florida for a while... so being the second owner I have a fighting chance to make sure the full history is there.. including Camping worlds sales documents and hanger that were in the RV while in Florida.. all adds to the history for the next owner.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That Steve is the point.. it is how each owner has looked after the vehicle. From the day we purchased our RV we kept notes of what we did and why, repairs and maintenance. all the receipts etc., we are now half way through our second A4 binder... hundreds and hundred of pages.. some items in the earlier pages have been replaced such as the domestic batteries. but if I have attended to it, then it is listed. even the issues that caused concerns ...

Bob
Typical winnibagel....always going wrong :winky::roflmto:

Tell you what Bob....i'd be selling it and buy something which wont need so much doing to it !!

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
not so often going wrong but

Typical winnibagel....always going wrong :winky::roflmto:

Tell you what Bob....i'd be selling it and buy something which wont need so much doing to it !!

John, yes sometimes thing go wrong even in these most prestigious marque ...But I have had to now remove the back up sensors as they gave up and was not prepared to mess about running another set under the RV. The UMAX batteries I put on board when I got the RV on the road had 3 years use and they got changed for 2 new ones of a different make but gave me 200 amps together (every little bit helps as they say)...

The rest is adding things like LED's adding extra 230v plugs, fitting the cb, fitting a proper safe, an additional cool box, heating tubes in the bathroom and lounge.. yes have had to rewire the blinds a couple of times and getting a dab hand at it now.. expect it will go again.

But on the whole it is related to service information, like changing the oil in the genny, spark plug.. replacing the American antifreeze and enlacing it with the correct yellow stuff..

What it is..... is time consuming... and expensive... 10%wear and tear and 90% added value.
i.e dollar ball added to Reece tow hitch.. power take off for the winch on the trailer...

But a real bargain to whoever gets it at the end of this season.

Bob:thumb:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I bought 3 in my first 18 months of motorhoming !!!!!
The last one I have had for 5 years....

So how long is a piece of string ?? ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well only my opinion but I would not care how many owners or miles for that matter :Smile:The only things I would look at is the condition and price :thumb:Even as a self builder the price is everything :thumb:Over the years I have bought a couple of vans that at the time I thought were a bargain but if I was not handy myself and had to pay for them to be done I would have lost money.:Doh:As it is /was I ended up ripping everything out and renewing most things which in turn enabled me to make a profit on every van we have had :thumb:MAKE SURE THE PRICE REFLECTS THE CONDITION :thumb:end of :winky: There is nothing that can not be replaced be it a tired out interior or a engine and box :winky:All you need to do is buy the right van for the right money--If you find a van that you think is good for the money,take details and pics ,post on here for opinions,but don't give details of where/when as somebody may well pip you to it ::bigsmile:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back