Le MOT Francaise! (1 Viewer)

2escapees

Deleted User
Or Control Technique as it is called here. Just back from my appointment. Inevitably it is different from the UK MOT first of all the first one is due after 4 years and then it is every two years. This is my second CT it takes a full hour and cost 70 Euros. The centers that undertake the test are not garages and do not offer any other services so they are not interested in putting right any thing that is wrong.

Fortunately my Mercedes based Rapido was fine. I think another difference is the center put a hologram on the vehicle registration document (Carte Gris) showing the validity of the test and the expiry date. Computerised systems test emissions, suspension and brakes and a optical machine tests the lights. Plus of course there is an extensive visual check underneath.

It seems to me to me to be very thorough and the costs seems reasonable for the time and equipment involved. How does it compare with the UK, I can't remember when I last took a vehicle for a MOT.

:thumb:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
One for Geo to answer methinks :roflmto: although I wonder how the French would go about testing emissions on, say, a Chevy Vortec or a Ford Triton V10? I couldn't imagine their computerised systems having access to that sort of data, especially since you can't register an ARV in France..... :Wacko:......anybody know? :roflmto:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
it sounds very similar to our class 4 test that takes a whole hour and they (VOSA) seem to do a very thorough inspection
Its a bit more expensive at £45 and its anual
These are also just test centres and not in it for the repairs
however I have not had to have an emmissions test on my American Ford engine probably because they don't have the computor data

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We do boast the best Mot testing scheme in Europe
Vosa are at present considering changing to the EU method known as the 4+2 IE first mot at 4 years and then every two years as stated above we operate as you all know the 3+1 with the exception of certain vehicles that are every year from new.
The equipment is better in Europe at the moment Vosa have already rolled out one man testing at many garages and to do one man testing you need the very latest kit, about 48 grand covers it if your thinking of firing one up yourself:Doh:
as apposed to 35 k for a two man test system
I personally think that a two year test will be very Dangerous, and no its not about revenue, believe me we will make an absolute fortune if it goes to two years (you can bet the fee will almost double) and a lot may close if the fee isn't doubled, there is already a shortage of testing stations ,imagine having to book months in advance for a test, try booking in an HG at a Vosa station, sometimes 16 weeks in advance
Don't forget I see on a daily basis all manner of cars and all ages the national failure rate is about 1/3 of vehicle presented 45%in my area due to the lower poverty factor IE older vehicles, and the state some are in presented with the hope of passing, and to think they would be on the road for another 12 months without inspection horrifies me.
if it comes in I firmly believe driving a wreck will become the new drink drive /anti smoking lobby's new target and rightly so, what are they to do as they can hardly afford one years repair bill never mind two years running together it would cost such a small fortune to repair cars of lower value as to make them unviable, and the older cars, also called the less greener vehicles will be culled, and that is in my opinion the crux of it all
Sorry for boring the pants off you, rant over
Geo

Last edited:
OP
OP

2escapees

Deleted User
Geo

With the 4+2 system as you call it here you also get a very visible certificate that is posted on the windscreen. Police regularly check these and that cuts down defaulters. Problems with delays also don't happen I got a letter a month in advance telling me the test was due and giving me an appointment. I live in a poor rural area with one testing station in the town and the system works.

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
The visible MOT certificate in the windscreen sounds good, its a pity that the Insurance is not there as well, at least Offenders without would be seen easier.

David

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Geo

With the 4+2 system as you call it here you also get a very visible certificate that is posted on the windscreen. Police regularly check these and that cuts down defaulters. Problems with delays also don't happen I got a letter a month in advance telling me the test was due and giving me an appointment. I live in a poor rural area with one testing station in the town and the system works.
As already stated we have a compleatly useless sticker, that you don't have to display if you don't want to, so the point of it is??
Also we don't have a MoT reminder system, the data and equipment is already in place to do it, But we don't!!
I said we boast the best ,not that i believe it is, IMHO it is flawed beyond belief,
I have the option and facility to pass a vehicle and issue a statement that the vehicle is dangerous and should not be used until rectified
We do however have the worlds best No plate recoginition system in the world used soley in my opinion for revenue gathering
Of coarse your system works, Its not British:ROFLMAO:
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You could'nt be more wrong Tony very little discresion needed, its all laid down in the pooter, what the general public is unaware of is the number and frequency of incognito test ie test set up by vosa to catch us out, and un anounced visits to check on paper work and testing procedures
Imagine having Auditors dropping in when they like un anounced and a boss laying traps for you all the time, Now thats what I call presure to get it right 1st time and every time and to add insult to injury we have trading standards dropping in cars with prepared vehicles to catch us out as well, Can you name another ocupation with the same overlords, No, No sympathy please I know you dont believe a word of it:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
And before anyone says why do you do it!!
I ask myself the same question daily
Geo

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Geo
it's the same in my job nowadays
everybody watching what you do, we have Tacho's that tell what hours you work how fast you go when you stop when you start when you have a xxxx :roflmto:
now they,ve brought out digital tacho cards personal to each driver (which we have to pay for) and that tells them if we turn the engine off at breaktime if not its not considered a break also its a jailable offence to work too many hours

Why do i do it ?:Sad:

OP
OP

2escapees

Deleted User
however I have not had to have an emissions test on my American Ford engine probably because they don't have the computer data

I would like to pick up this point first is it reasonable for some vehicles not to have the emission test. Surely all imported vehicles should be able to be tested if they can't then don't allow them in. That probably explains why someone said you can't register an RV in France. I think the French have got it right.

Secondly the windscreen sticker has to be displayed and you also have to display the green insurance vignette so it is very easy for the old bill or the gendarmes to check both.

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
I would like to pick up this point first is it reasonable for some vehicles not to have the emission test. Surely all imported vehicles should be able to be tested if they can't then don't allow them in. That probably explains why someone said you can't register an RV in France. I think the French have got it right.

Secondly the windscreen sticker has to be displayed and you also have to display the green insurance vignette so it is very easy for the old bill or the gendarmes to check both.

I understand what your saying about emmissions and i have no problem with being tested for it its up to our agencies to keep abreast of all vehicles data

as for the French having it right I think you will find that the reason for not allowing American RV's to register in France is political decision there are in fact I believe 3 RV's registered in France and they belong to high ranking officials
So what does that tell you ?

OP
OP

2escapees

Deleted User
Yes I accept Politicians all over the world tend to have their nose well and truly in the trough!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Have you seen the vehicles the French drive in rural communities?:Eeek:

Held together with string most of them :RollEyes:

:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Havnt seen an American engine yet thats not capable of passing our basic emission test, if it does pass there is no need for data, only if it fails do we need the correct manf info, to carry out full cat test or default age related test, Its the manf that tell vosa what thier vehicles can meet, and we test accordinly
LPg vehicles have a formula that is applied to the results not seen one of those fail either
And if and when do not not meet the criteria then it is not allowed on the road
we are happy it seems to register anything,But registration does not automaticly mean its road legal, or ever will be,
Tony do you remember a conversation we had re lights and the MoT and i said it would fail if tested here

Section 5.1 in Lighting
Reason for rejection(fail) Item E Adversely affected Indicator and or hazards, by another lamp for example Duel Function lamps on foreign Vehicles
Geo

OP
OP

2escapees

Deleted User
Have you seen the vehicles the French drive in rural communities?:Eeek:

Held together with string most of them :RollEyes:

:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

I think you're a bit out of date the new EU farm subsidies which are based on land you own not what you grow and the cash rewards for buying a low polluting vehicle in the way of tax reductions mean that is and has changed!

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Tony do you remember a conversation we had re lights and the MoT and i said it would fail if tested here

Section 5.1 in Lighting
Reason for rejection(fail) Item E Adversely affected Indicator and or hazards, by another lamp for example Duel Function lamps on foreign Vehicles
Geo[/QUOTE]

Geo
I remember the conversation well
But I again beg the answer to why the VOSA tester at my local station showed me in his manual where if an "indicator is incorporated with a side marker light" it is deemed legal and on 2 occasions with different testers it has passed

Stop lamps or direction indicators may be Combined in the same housing as front or rear position lights see section 1.3 & 1.5

Last edited:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I think you're a bit out of date the new EU farm subsidies which are based on land you own not what you grow and the cash rewards for buying a low polluting vehicle in the way of tax reductions mean that is and has changed!

I am talking about cars and vans which are mainly absolute wrecks and i was through France in September 07.

Oh yes and the tractors we saw were not up to much.

I do however envy the laid back French lifestyle out on the major towns.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Stop lamps or direction indicators may be Combined in the same housing as front or rear position lights see section 1.3 & 1.5
All is becoming clear, you are talking about sharing the same housing, I am talking about sharing the same BULB as in the yank style ie position lamp go's out and comes on to act as indicater ie one fuction interfering with the other
Ah So!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:
Geo

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
All is becoming clear, you are talking about sharing the same housing, I am talking about sharing the same BULB as in the yank style ie position lamp go's out and comes on to act as indicater ie one fuction interfering with the other
Ah So!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:
Geo

Eureeka at last :Doh:
Geo I was begining to lose the will to live for awhile its only took me 2 weeks
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We'll both get pi**ed again at the Valentine Meet, this time we will just put the rest of the world right and leave MoTs alone:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo
PS send me a photo and i'll send to a Pass cert:whatthe:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back