Free Member
Mar 13, 2012
Pontefract
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
Hi all hym 544 suspension very hard on the rear. springs fine and leaf springs ok would new shocks inprove it what are the signs of worn shocks Thanks :Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
welcome to the forum

welcome to the forum.

I expect someone with a Hymer will be a long to answer your question soon.. but have you considered having rear air suspension fitted... fairly common these days as an after fit... I know it did marvels on my American RV.. stopped bounce and sway.

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard.

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Hi all hym 544 suspension very hard on the rear. springs fine and leaf springs ok would new shocks inprove it what are the signs of worn shocks Thanks :Smile:

1) Excessive bounce.(travel in suspension).
2) Oil on outside of shocker body.

How high are your tyre pressures? What should they be?
How much gap do you have between your axle and its bump stops?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
coldstreamer

Hi,
I have had my present 544 for 8 yrs and a cracking bit of kit, but after about 3 yrs I found the ride harder and a bit unstable. Decided to fit Air Rides and a huge difference. I have found I need to adjust the pressure to allow for the load. Just normal wk-end jaunts no probs, but long trips with heavy loading demand a bit extra pressure. I think just use your common sense and trial and error. To find the right pressure I look for a small upwards curve on the springs, which is how it should be empty.
I'm sure without the Air Rides I would struggle.
I bought them from 'Marcell. Very good company with good instructions. Half hour to fit the first one, ten minutes for second Best Regards Mac.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

Not had a Hymer but had Air-ride springs fitted to a van, the difference it made was unbelievable went from a van that seemed unstable, and I did not like descending steep hills that twisted around next to steep drops, to a van I had complete faith in.

In my opinion money well spent.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back