Tuggers mirrors (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I'm sure that someone on here will know the answer to this.

Whilst following a caravan the other day I noticed that the tow cars mirrors were not able to be seen from a fair distance from the rear. I have to assume that the driver could not see anything in his mirrors except his caravan (as in the sign on the rear of trucks, warning that "If you can't see my mirrors I can't see you"). When I got closer, and on a corner, I could see that at best his mirrors were only the width of his van, but probably narrower.

The question is (at last), is there a legal requirement to have mirror extensions ?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I think you have to be able to see up the side of your van, hi mirrors could have been at an angle which allowed this as an ex tugger myself i could see up the side of my van and wider with just car mirrors but always added the wider ones for my own sake.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
towing mirrors are only allowed to extend a certain distance from the door of the vehicle they are being used on, over the years caravans have got wider, I have the same prob with my 5ver but if i angle both door mirror and towing mirror i get a decent view to the rear of my vehicle from one and down the carriageway next to me with the other to see approaching vehicles, but i have also put those trailer lights on stalks at the rear on the end of my vans bumper as a visual point which are good to ensure im clear to pull back in should i have overtaken a vehicle

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mirrors must not project further than 200mm on either the vehicle or the vehicle and trailer. the removable ones used by caravaners are ideal .as they can remove them when not towing .

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
This question ran and ran on a caravan forum and got a tad heated.

There was a set pattern of rear view as recommended by VOSSA but no one could agree what was law

The only thing that was agreed on was that too many drivers never used them often enough

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Most of the tuggers do not use them and are not any good at reversing with them anyway:ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
tend to agree with you

Most of the tuggers do not use them and are not any good at reversing with them anyway:ROFLMAO:

From my own 25 years of motor homing, and yes I diode own a caravan for a short time in the middle... I feel that caravan owns do not a group have any idea about reversing them or where they are in relationship to the tow car. Especially if turning in tight places like a camp site. I have seen some really bad one's and more than one take out a big chunk of the rear of there caravan as they swiped a tree (as in France last year .. in an olive grove .. had movers on it and he still decided to try and turn out of is pitch and took the tree.. could have connected it up in the roadway no problems)... On the road I hate getting stuck behind them.. especially if I get one on the motorway.. pulling a car trailer on my RV I am limited to 55 mph and middle lane only.. so they can be a real pain to not just truck drivers but other holiday makers using motor homes and RV's

And anyway why are we discussing tuggers? I thought this was MOTORHOME FUN .. the name says it. Bad enough when we have to discuss CC or C&CC issues of motorhomes on there sites... but do we not have a better subject than tuggers (I exclude 5th wheelers from that statement).

Now mirrors in general:reel: do motor home drivers use them? or do they rely on back up cameras? Do you have enough mirrors on your motor home / RV?

Bob

Bob

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
From my own 25 years of motor homing, and yes I diode own a caravan for a short time in the middle... I feel that caravan owns do not a group have any idea about reversing them or where they are in relationship to the tow car. Especially if turning in tight places like a camp site. I have seen some really bad one's and more than one take out a big chunk of the rear of there caravan as they swiped a tree (as in France last year .. in an olive grove .. had movers on it and he still decided to try and turn out of is pitch and took the tree.. could have connected it up in the roadway no problems)... On the road I hate getting stuck behind them.. especially if I get one on the motorway.. pulling a car trailer on my RV I am limited to 55 mph and middle lane only.. so they can be a real pain to not just truck drivers but other holiday makers using motor homes and RV's

And anyway why are we discussing tuggers? I thought this was MOTORHOME FUN .. the name says it. Bad enough when we have to discuss CC or C&CC issues of motorhomes on there sites... but do we not have a better subject than tuggers (I exclude 5th wheelers from that statement).

Now mirrors in general:reel: do motor home drivers use them? or do they rely on back up cameras? Do you have enough mirrors on your motor home / RV?

Bob

Bob

you can :reel: all day Bob... nice try .. :roflmto:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Just a bit bored today Jim

you can :reel: all day Bob... nice try .. :roflmto:

Just a bit bored today Jim.. just me and Ezzie .. Sue is off to granddaughters birthday party .. I do not do birthday parties... not for 6 year old anyway.

Not a lot to get your teeth in to on MHF this morning.. thought I might get a nibble.. still early.. may have to change the bait later.

Bob:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just a bit bored today Jim.. just me and Ezzie .. Sue is off to granddaughters birthday party .. I do not do birthday parties... not for 6 year old anyway.

Not a lot to get your teeth in to on MHF this morning.. thought I might get a nibble.. still early.. may have to change the bait later.

Bob:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:roflmto: I'm well aware of your fishing posts... is buttons giving you tuition ? ... :roflmto:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
at least I now mostly use the fish rod sign

:roflmto: I'm well aware of your fishing posts... is buttons giving you tuition ? ... :roflmto:

Except when I feel evil I do put the fishing rod sign on the post... Some who will not be named (oh hell with it... Buttons) is very good at his fishing stories like a few other I could mention.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back