Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
When transiting Europe I like to know what the HGV driving restrictions are for weekends and holidays.

Personally I like to transit Switzerland on a Sunday especially in winter, it's so much easier through the St Gothard Tunnel with just maybe one or two trucks about.

Details of the main HGV restrictions in Europe can be found at HGV driving bans in Europe I think the details are reasonably up to date.

Safe travelling.

Don

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Thanks Don as usual a very useful post:thumb:

Having ran trucks throughout most of Europe I know only too well the peculiar HGV driving bans that occur most are Holy days or Saints days and before we had the May bank holiday there always was adriving ban on May Day itself peculiarly they ran from 10pm the night before till 10pm on the day in question, is this still the case?

Regards Pat

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I don't want to raise the issue of whether US RV's should be (or are already) considered as HGV's in Europe - and I agree with Don that travelling in Germany, especially, is so nice on a Sunday when the 'heavies' are banned - but I wonder how, or if, the Europeans consider RV's as HGV or as motorhomes - and if they consider RV's as HGV - are they banned on Sunday also?

Anybody got any personal experience of being pulled over on a Sunday - on the Continent- for driving an RV on a Sunday?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Don Madge

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Thanks Don as usual a very useful post:thumb:

Having ran trucks throughout most of Europe I know only too well the peculiar HGV driving bans that occur most are Holy days or Saints days and before we had the May bank holiday there always was adriving ban on May Day itself peculiarly they ran from 10pm the night before till 10pm on the day in question, is this still the case?

Regards Pat

Hi Pat,

In Germany the Landers have there own holidays and it must make life very difficult for the truckers sorting it all out.

TableofGermanBankholidays1.jpg

Germanymap.jpg

I've got no idea of the actual times but I know in France the weekend ban ends at 22.00 hrs. We have often seen many trucks ready for the off well before ten.

Don

2escapees

Deleted User
The 10pm Saturday to 10pm Sunday ban on HGVs on French roads is a great idea.. something for the UK to copy?

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Lorries

Hi

Often the two lane section of many Italian motorways are snarled up with slower moving lorries. I am not really bothered whether lorries are on the road or not.

The chances are, that what ever we are using now, eating, drinking etc - A LORRY BROUGHT IT. We can't manage with out thehm however inconvenient it may be to occasionally follow one.

Russell

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi

Clipped....The chances are, that what ever we are using now, eating, drinking etc - A LORRY BROUGHT IT. We can't manage with out thehm however inconvenient it may be to occasionally follow one.

Russell

Well said Russell.

Jock.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
RVs HGVs/

Hi Dick

Ive never been stopped in our RV and would presume that they are not classed as HGVs in respect of the ban!

Also not all HGVs were banned, refrigerated transport for one used to be exempt if they were loaded that is and in the old days perishable fruit i.e. oranges from Spain even if just loaded in tilt trailers (canvas covered), you would get stopped by the gendarmes who would ask to see the load, a box of oranges later and you were on your way!!

Regards Pat

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
I think it as to do with if there is a tack-o-graf fitted and Rvs in the uk dont need them yet until some one opens there mouth
Paul

Zozzer

Free Member
Nov 4, 2007
Leigh, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Not Long Enough
When transiting Europe I like to know what the HGV driving restrictions are for weekends and holidays.

Personally I like to transit Switzerland on a Sunday especially in winter, it's so much easier through the St Gothard Tunnel with just maybe one or two trucks about.

Details of the main HGV restrictions in Europe can be found at HGV driving bans in Europe I think the details are reasonably up to date.

Safe travelling.

Don

What a pity it doesn't cover Great Britain, then at least some British drivers would get a few more weekends with their families instead of companies having their drivers work on Sunday to run down to the Ferry Ports along the south coast.

EEC my backside, when are the British workers going to be treated EQUAL to their European counterparts. We are definately getting crapped on from a great height.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back