bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hasanyone been over the Millau bridge since the beginning of Feb. Iwould love to know how much the cost was for a MH with two axles towing a trailer (1 axle) ? I have the price list but am still unsure :RollEyes: Thanks, Jane

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Take the old road down the valley. Its a much nicer run and you can see the bridge in all its glory. As a bonus its free.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I agree do the valley

OK it is longer, but nicer.. at @ €30 for a class 4 that is a lot of money... Also remember that the general area ..say from St Flour for 100 klm south you are at 1100 mtrs that is some climb with a motor home if you have a car on the back... plus the weather can change to snow or heavy mist at a moments notice... Can be a bad road.

Fuel is a problem as well in the summer, they back up on to the motorways... especially the cheaper stations as it is advertised ahead re the local price... I have tended to come down in to St Flour and take on fuel in the town.. not always easy, but it is cheaper and saves the jams on the motorway... but I would try the lower route through the valley.

Bob

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
certainly not worth 31euro's.

dont think you'll miss out on the views by not using the viaduct either....there aren't any thanks to the barriers/wind deflectors.
you can see in the distance but not into the valley.

the town is a lot quieter but there can still be some congestion, but is easy to navigate

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
the route before the bridge was bad

certainly not worth 31euro's.

dont think you'll miss out on the views by not using the viaduct either....there aren't any thanks to the barriers/wind deflectors.
you can see in the distance but not into the valley.

the town is a lot quieter but there can still be some congestion, but is easy to navigate

It used to b e a real bottle neck before the bridge, but I agree the wind barriers stop any views.. and if it is now €31 then I will not be using it... I gather the route below now is much better as less traffic and there are place to stop and view the bridge from below.

Bob

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We paid €10.10 and €7 when we came over the bridge on 07 Feb 2012. I am not sure which one was for the actual bridge crossing.

Our Van is a 24ft Hymer S700 4600kg two sets of wheels.

We had set the satnav to use non peage roads but didn't fancy trying to go down into Milaeu as the roads were icy, so we bit the bullet and paid the tolls to cross the bridge.

John

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We paid €10.10 and €7 when we came over the bridge on 07 Feb 2012. I am not sure which one was for the actual bridge crossing.

We had set the satnav to use non peage roads but didn't fancy trying to go down into Milaeu as the roads were icy, so we bit the bullet and paid the tolls to cross the bridge.

John
cant understand that !

there's only one charge each way to cross the viaduct and the A75 is a non-toll road so i think you were robbed :roflmto:.

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
been over once cost 25euros afew years ago no vews better going down through town good vews of bridge and lot cheaper . sooner spend money on good meal :winky::winky::winky: stan

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Sorry had no time to come back to write properly what I have been told by the person in charge of the Millau toll

So

1)If your vehicule is between 2 and 3 metres max high with a total weight being under or equal to 3,5 t ; and one axle then you'll be class 2

2)If you're higher than 3 metres or heavier than 3,5 t or both and one axle then you'll be class 3

3)If you have all the n°2) + more than one axle , than you are class 4

OK ???::bigsmile::winky:

Frankie:thumb:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

John

Well ... I have no idea how this happened ..... what's your secret ? Have you gone invisible?:Eeek:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Well ... I have no idea how this happened ..... what's your secret ? Have you gone invisible?:Eeek:

We had been at Narbonne Plage and set the Satnav for Magnag Bourge. We had used that Aire on the way down and had gone by Casrcassonne to Narrbonne before going to Italy and back.

I hadn't checked the route and we found ourselves heading for Mileau. It was blustery all the way and Joan was having kittens about going over the bridge. Anyway the wind seemed to drop as we approached the bridge and the road off all seemed icy, so we went over instead of going down into Mileau.

Joan tells me the toll charge for the bridge was €10.10 and and so does my card statement.

John

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
according to the Link Removed. that is Class 2 ( car+caravan) Off Season ..

so you got a bargain.. should have been Class 4 . €31.20

The machine must have taken pity on us as it was windy and about minus 8c.

John

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
and that is the reason to go down the valley

according to the Link Removed. that is Class 2 ( car+caravan) Off Season ..

so you got a bargain.. should have been Class 4 . €31.20

That is the reason to go down the valley.. I have better things to spend €31 or what ever it is in £.... these days.

Bob

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Our MH is 3.2m high,7.27 long and pulling a twin axle trailer 4m long.Going down through France last year we were charged as class 2 on all the tolls including the Millau bridge,dont know if that is correct or not.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
They would have to pay me to drive across the Millau. Its a blot on the landscape and imo should never have been built.

I have been told that the reason that it was built was to entice people living in northern France to travel further south and holiday in France, rather than them travelling abroad. Don't know' how true that is.
Jim
:Smile:

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Our MH is 3.2m high,7.27 long and pulling a twin axle trailer 4m long.Going down through France last year we were charged as class 2 on all the tolls including the Millau bridge,dont know if that is correct or not.

You can check Broken Link Removed

Looks like you might be Class 3 or 4.:Sad::Sad::Sad::Sad::Sad:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
The machine must have taken pity on us as it was windy and about minus 8c.

John

No John

It's because there doesn't appear to be any facility to weigh vehicles at toll booths, all they can do is measure height. Your Hymer in standard form is around 2.82m high and that's what they based your toll on, Class 2.

If they could tell you are over 3.5t you would be class 3 as per Frankie's posts, some of the manual booth operators will charge Class 3 if they know what your vehicle is and this is the reason we try to use only automated booths with a MH.

If you have a topbox fitted you will be over 3m and then classified as Class 3, expensive having a topbox in France.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
LOL I have to say we are 3.05m but when the auto machine says Classe 3 I just press the bouton and when they answer say Bonjour, Classe Deux M/Mme/M'elle in my friendliest, politest voice. They rarely argue. (There's no point arguing with me, as a local Guardien de Peche discovered last year - he indicated that as Pete had his rods out leaning on the side of the van, this meant he was about to fish in which case he had to pay. Pete indicated that he wasn't. He insisted that he was. All in sign language - P may know the names of all the fish in French and the bait etc, but can't actually have a conversation. I didn't actually understand most of his diatribe as he was jabbering away very fast and loud and annoyed but definitely got the gist, I just kept smiling at him and nodding and when he eventually came up for air said Pardon, nous ne comprends pas, M withoutany attempt whatsoever at a french accent (yes Frankie I know that's incorrect grammar LOL) and every time he said anything, repeated it. He had to give up in the end though. He wasn't happy.... )

Don't think I'd try it on the tolls if I knew we were really 3.20 though.

Jenny

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
LOL I have to say we are 3.05m but when the auto machine says Classe 3 I just press the bouton and when they answer say Bonjour, Classe Deux M/Mme/M'elle in my friendliest, politest voice. They rarely argue.
Jenny

I tried that once, only once, at an Autoroute peage .. I argued that we were class 3 not 4 ..( RV + trailer) .. the " lady was not for turning "

I paid up fast when I saw the attendant signal to the gendarme to come over.. :roflmto:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Interesting fact that nearly everyone has different experiences of French tolls.

I went through Millau toll last year in 32ft A class RV....class 3. This year in 32ft C class RV.....class 2.

I must say that if I now ever use peage routes I always aim for the attendant booth and smile sweetly with a booming "Bonjour". Funnily I nearly always get charged class 2 when, at 6.5t, I am without doubt class 3. However it never happened when I had the A class. :Eeek:

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
You can check Broken Link Removed

Looks like you might be Class 3 or 4.:Sad::Sad::Sad::Sad::Sad:
- Train with overall height from 2 to 3 metres and GVW of towing vehicle not exceeding 3.5 tonnes.
This is class 2,our height above 3 metres is the top box which is not visible from the front.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Best way to cross bridge

Taken from my Harley Roadking

Attachments