Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Just been to the expence of having fully synthetic oil change in my van to hear some guy serioiusly telling me it's not good in the 2500 TD fiat engine :Eeek:

I sure he's MAD but please confirm I am right :pray:

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
I used to use fully synthestic Castrol R 2 stroke oil in the race bikes, synthetic oil in a not so high spec engine would seem a bit OTT.

I reserve the right to be wrong at any point:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Here you go John
Fully Synthetic Characteristics
0W-30
0W-40
5W-40 Fuel economy savings
Enhances engine performance and power
Ensures engine is protected from wear and deposit build-up
Ensures good cold starting and quick circulation in freezing temperatures
Gets to moving parts of the engine quickly
Semi-synthetic Characteristics
5W-30
10W-40
15W-40 Better protection
Good protection within the first 10 minutes after starting out
Roughly three times better at reducing engine wear
Increased oil change intervals - don't need to change it quite so often
Mineral Characteristics
10W-40
15W-40 Basic protection for a variety of engines
Oil needs to be changed more often

Read more: http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html#ixzz1plqzTU9z
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ronecc

Free Member
Mar 21, 2012
Hellifield, N. yorks
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
various times

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
sinthetic oils

HI, there's no problems useing fully in your van, the only problems is you won't be able to go back to semi or normal diesel oil, unless you do a Engine flush, i always use semi in our's then if you can't get fully or semi you can use normal to top up, hope this answears your Q, Cheers Alf:thumb:.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I used to use fully synthestic Castrol R 2 stroke oil in the race bikes, synthetic oil in a not so high spec engine would seem a bit OTT.

I reserve the right to be wrong at any point:thumb:

Does the synthetic Castrol R smell the same?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
To keep this simple
There are basically only two types of oil
1.MINERAL OIL (The old fashioned stuff)
2. Fully synthetic oil (Man made superior product)

So where does Semi Synthetic oil come into the equation
Simple
Its a 70%/30% mix of the two:Doh:
so yes you can mix any and all oils if you want to,you will simply dilute the fully synths qualities
No need to flush any engine at all when swapping from one to the other just change oil and filter as usual
it is recommended to flush older engines prior to going simi or fully synth just to get rid of te crap left behind from the old minerals
Geo

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
To keep this simple

Simple
so yes you can mix any and all oils if you want to,you will simply dilute the fully synths qualities
No need to flush any engine at all when swapping from one to the other just change oil and filter as usual
it is recommended to flush older engines prior to going simi or fully synth just to get rid of te crap left behind from the old minerals
Geo

I love it when experts come along................:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi John.
i do remember a post on here a few weeks ago about someone whom had changed to synthetic oil and found they had problems with leaks from the oil seals so went back to the old stuff and the problems disappeared.
i think that was a 2.5 ducato as it also stated that fiat had changed the handbook and it now said some different oil to the previous book.
so if thats the case just get someone to check for you that there are no leaks and all should be ok if it leaks then change back to the stuff you had before.

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
semi gives you the same protection and as long as you change your oil every year it will save you money the detergents in full can be quite agressive and not good on a old style engine as the clearances can be a bit bigger than a modern tight engine :thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
John we had this the other day on here please see my post

Broken Link Removed

I would say its more important to get the grade right not to thin in an older design engine as posted in the other forum by Nick I think your van should be 15w40 semi synthetic NOT 10w40 as it would seem to cause long term problems with leaks if you use a thinner grade

Last edited:

Hycon

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
N.E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
just starting
15w 40w recomended for my 1994 2.5 D hymer .Change it every year.I don't think synthetics were readily availible when it was made.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
All base vehicle manufacturers handbooks offer a range of recommended grades of oil dependent on driving conditions and service intervals. I always use the best as it is cheap if you buy carefully and NOT from dealerships.
I can change my oil and filter for £30 and do it every 10,000miles or less if a nice day crops up for getting under when I'm not busy

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
There are def. certain engines that do not benefit.. Anyone who has ever owned a Blackbird for instance will tell you straight away that using fully synth is a massive no no..
Causes some really weird problems including frothing and often an early bath for the CCT
This is not hearsay or a maybe, its a reported ( repeatedly ) fact.. Folk who did not believe and tried fully synth almost always returned very quickly to either dinosaur oil of semi synth

As to why .. I have absolutely no idea... After working exclusively on the bikes for 12 years and being involved to a certain extent with the Rand D dept in Düsseldorf I STILL have no idea !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it's OK for you lot who can pick and choose....i have to use around 9 ltrs of a 'Ford specific' 5/30w, every 3000miles :cry:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
IIRC from 04 onwards (square nose, clipboard on dash, cupholder) should be fully synthetic, up to that semi.

The reason that synthetics are used is emissions. By using a thinner oil, and tighter tolerance they can minimise the amount of oil required to lubricate the engine, thus minimise any burn and reduce emissions.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Ford used to do a semi synthetic engine oil for my Cougar but changed it to fully synthetic. I was advised not to use fully synthetic oil on a high mileage engine as it would cause crank seals to leak. I used the synthetic and the seals did leak a bit only a drip or two so they were right. However I had no major issues running fully synthetic. I think that the hydraulic tappets pressurised faster with fully synthetic after the vehicle had been stood a while but other than that I noticed no difference.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
To keep this simple

Simple
Geo

And,as my ex father in law (lecturer in automobile engineering) once told me "Any oil is better than no oil at all" ::bigsmile:

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back