Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
OK my turn to ask...

What dongal will give me a faster speed. cost not an issue, but would be nice to know.. but I need to use a Toshiba in a new office we have set up at our housing association.. the telephone line is about to be installed, but as we use the office for lots of different groups the wifi if fitted would be controlled. As i sit as a chair of a scrutiny panel the information is very confidential and we need secure facilities.. It was suggested we got a dongle for the laptop we use ..so what, how and why.. any help appreciated.

Happy for a monthly one, but it is the speed issue that concerns me and the amount of down load you can do..

Bob

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
For me 3 mi fi is superb. Never not been able to connect and is very fast. Up to 5 computers can connect to it as long as they have the key. I have the 15gig contract. :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It will be very dependant on where the office is, as not all the 3g suppliers cover all areas and their transmission speeds vary. The problem is well known and thats why there is pressure being put on the regulators to force implimentation of 4g. This will obviously require new equipment and infrastructure upgrades

To be honest, most dongles are pretty slow as they use USB. In my experience the way forward at the moment is using a Mifi type hotspot like the one supplied by 3 in the uk. This will allow connection of more than one laptop or PC and is pretty secure, as you need the passcode to use it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I know there is a lot of wifi in the area

Within the area there is a lot of wifi, such as hot spots that belong to a pub chain and a coffee shop. Plus the mobile phone will connect to open zone .... is that a choice I ask? I think you can buy time without an account.. not sure.

Still trying to find a way round the issue .. but the computer (Laptop) needs to stand alone and to be able to use wifi in some way.. keep it simple please...

Bob:Sad:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Within the area there is a lot of wifi, such as hot spots that belong to a pub chain and a coffee shop. Plus the mobile phone will connect to open zone .... is that a choice I ask? I think you can buy time without an account.. not sure.

Still trying to find a way round the issue .. but the computer (Laptop) needs to stand alone and to be able to use wifi in some way.. keep it simple please...

Bob:Sad:
Hi Bob
Your talking about different technologies here....The hot spots and wifi from pub and coffee shop are basically like your router at home and connected to a fixed telephone line or cable if with virgin etc. Not very secure as virtually anyone can get access

The 3g dongles and mifi are used on the mobile phone networks like 3 O2 virgin vadafone etc. Not all the suppliers have a telephone mast in all areas, some have a contract and share a tower with others. Because of this and other technical reasons beyond this explaination, each supplier varies in speed area by area. And far more secure, as in the same protection as making a mobile phone call

If you type the postcode into the mobile phone/broadband supplier, it should give a good indication of coverage. For instance, because they are the larger of the 3g suppliers at present see 3 coverage here
http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Coverage

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
For me 3 mi fi is superb. Never not been able to connect and is very fast. Up to 5 computers can connect to it as long as they have the key. I have the 15gig contract. :thumb:

Hi Ken, I wonder if I can ask what your settings are?

I brought a MIFI on the advice of most and used Jim's method of using it with my Orange Iphone sim card as I have free internet.
However it was really bad yet everyone else seemed to be getting decent speed with the 3 cards. I then went and brought a 3 sim card and began to use that. However I payed something like a tenner for 3gig for a month. I put it in to my MIFI which is unlocked and think I activated it. But, it didn't work here very well and it was only at the cotton arms which is renowned for bad internet.
I need to know what the settings should be as My mifi is unlocked and before I put some more money on it for the Eden camp Meet, would like to check it for the 3 version.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
3 looks good

Hi Bob
Your talking about different technologies here....The hot spots and wifi from pub and coffee shop are basically like your router at home and connected to a fixed telephone line or cable if with virgin etc. Not very secure as virtually anyone can get access

The 3g dongles and mifi are used on the mobile phone networks like 3 O2 virgin vadafone etc. Not all the suppliers have a telephone mast in all areas, some have a contract and share a tower with others. Because of this and other technical reasons beyond this explaination, each supplier varies in speed area by area. And far more secure, as in the same protection as making a mobile phone call

If you type the postcode into the mobile phone/broadband supplier, it should give a good indication of coverage. For instance, because they are the larger of the 3g suppliers at present see 3 coverage here
http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Coverage

3 looks good and a 2 year contract with a lot of gb at £13.42 not bad..

Thanks

Bob

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
3 are in the process of upgrading to HSPA+ which its claimed is about twice as fast as 3G, (around 8Mb? download) you have to phone 3 to see if you area has been upgraded yet as the coverage map doesn't tell you.

I believe 4G when it arrives will give speeds of around 24Mb.

Ian

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Does this help?

Attachments

• mi fi.JPG
    mi fi.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 28

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi Ken, I wonder if I can ask what your settings are?

I brought a MIFI on the advice of most and used Jim's method of using it with my Orange Iphone sim card as I have free internet.
However it was really bad yet everyone else seemed to be getting decent speed with the 3 cards. I then went and brought a 3 sim card and began to use that. However I payed something like a tenner for 3gig for a month. I put it in to my MIFI which is unlocked and think I activated it. But, it didn't work here very well and it was only at the cotton arms which is renowned for bad internet.
I need to know what the settings should be as My mifi is unlocked and before I put some more money on it for the Eden camp Meet, would like to check it for the 3 version.

These are the settings (attached) which I entered and use for the "3" network on my 3MiFi. Mine is the older model MiFi which I bought of Ebay unlocked for £30. Works fine and speed is ok, with 3G I can stream live video on it.

However since I switched my phone contract to 3, I have all you can eat unlimited data included in my price plan, so I very rarely use the MIFI these days. With a 3G connection using my iPhone tethered as a hotspot, I can stream live Sky Sports to my iPad or laptop and at the same time my wife streams other TV shows to her laptop. :thumb:

Speed is excellent, and absolutely no limits on the Data used on the "All you can Eat" plan so I do not have to pay for the data sim card top ups anymore, as its included in my phone plan.:thumb::thumb:

Callum

Attachments

• 3a.doc
    42 KB · Views: 10
  • 3b.doc
    36.5 KB · Views: 6

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I was just about to reply to you earlier, on my works O2 dongle, showing seconds before I had a 7.2Mbps connection, when yet again it just dropped out.

This time it did not drop down on to 2G to something very low Kbps it has the habit of doing in many major cities, it just stopped altogether.

Earlier today when at the clients premises, it was up and down like a yo-yo.

At home for personal use and in the motorhome I use a 3 mifi. This not only lets me down so rarely, whenever I am having problems on O2 and i need to do something very urgent I change over to the 3 and hey presto, its done.

I used to do a lot in the vicinity of the NEC in Birmingham for 2 years plus. O2 was terrible without an event, and non-existent when there was an event.

For me, its less to do with overall top speed, more good basic access. I have not tried the others, 3 does it for me (but you do have to check coverage maps as suggested earlier).

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I used to have an 02 and whaerever in the coutry I was, it was like dial p on the two occasions it acually got online!

3 was recommended by a full timer web designer, so he would know his stuff as he requires it to work. It costs him £15 a month mifi wireless, and is unlimited. Seriously fast!

Link Removed

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Have just uploaded a pdf file with all the APN settings needed to connect an unlocked SIM card to pretty much any mobile broadband supplier around
the world.

Broken Link Removed

This lists all the server names and passwords required and where applicable any alternatives

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back