Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I've just put a BBQ point inside the gas locker, why you may ask? Well, it saves cutting another hole in the body and also saves another joint inside. It's all contained in the locker so if it leaks, it'll leak via the drop.

In case anyone is thinking of doing the same, this is how I did it. I appreciate it won't match everyones requirements, but hopefully at least give an idea.

First of all, this is what I needed for it to go ahead;

1. Truma KV8 BBQ point (http://www.autogasshop.co.uk/truma-coupling-quick-acting-valve-kv8-239-p.asp)
  2. 8mm Low Pressure T-Piece (http://www.autogasshop.co.uk/low-pressure-8mm-tee-527-p.asp)
  3. 1m of Rubber coated 8mm copper gas pipe
The idea is to "T" into the low pressure pipe in the Gas Locker but as you can see from the photos, there wasn't a lot there due to a small locker;

1.jpg

2.jpg

So I removed the regulator
3.jpg

I couldn't get the old olive off, so had to cut the end of the pipe off (and yes, I did scratch the wood above :Doh:)
4.jpg

Once cut off, I could remove it in a vice
5.jpg

I cut a small piece of 8mm, notice the rubber sleeve cut back to allow fitment
6.jpg

The 8mm pipe from new is slightly different so bear this in mind when ordering the right size. As you can see below, the standard pipe on the left has a thin coating making the pipe 8mm, however, the new pipe on the right is 8mm, but has a seperate thick rubber outer that needs to be trimmed back to fit connections;
7.jpg

Below, the pipe has been fitted to the regulator and T piece. Note, the ends were filed smooth before fitting
8.jpg

The regulator was now installed in it's new position after connecting the T Piece to the original remaining pipe.
9.jpg

I made some brackets out of Aluminium and fitted them to the KV8
10.jpg

I cut some 8mm pipe to length to connect the T Piece to the KV8 and as before I filed down the end including the inside edge

11.jpg

Using an inexpensive pipe bending spring (shown in photo), I shaped the pipe. Notice I removed the outer casing, this is because the pipe spring is 8mm and wouldn't fit otherwise
12.jpg

Refitted the outer casing, again, notice the ends trimmed to fit into the joints
13.jpg

The pipe was connected to the T Piece and in turn the KV8 which was then screwed to the wall of the gas locker;
14.jpg

15.jpg

Tightened all the joints opened the tank and sprayed some leak detector on the joints, just the low pressure side of the regulator was leaking, a little tighter on the spanner and all sealed
16.jpg

Put the outlet connector for the KV8 in to the feed pipe for BBQ
17.jpg

Connected it up and tested all ok. The gas feed pipe will be a bit longer than this when I use it as not a good idea to have the BBQ that close to the bottle!
18.jpg

Voila!

So there you go, hopefully this can help somebody else looking to do a similar thing. :thumb:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
A really neat job! :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
another bonus is that if you cant find somewhere to top up your refillable bottle, or your stuck on site, you could add a standard cylinder and regulator to supply gas to your van. Just remember to turn off the refillable cylinder and if the BBQ point hasnt got a non return valve it will act as an inlet rather than an outlet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
It appears you can already use a 'slave' external (calor or foreign) cylinder with a Gaslow installation by connecting it to the filler point. See picture clipped from the current Gaslow catalogue, downloaded from their website.

Attachments

• Gaslow Bypass.jpg
    Gaslow Bypass.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 54

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
My only concern is

I've just put a BBQ point inside the gas locker, why you may ask? Well, it saves cutting another hole in the body and also saves another joint inside. It's all contained in the locker so if it leaks, it'll leak via the drop.

In case anyone is thinking of doing the same, this is how I did it. I appreciate it won't match everyones requirements, but hopefully at least give an idea.

First of all, this is what I needed for it to go ahead;

1. Truma KV8 BBQ point (http://www.autogasshop.co.uk/truma-coupling-quick-acting-valve-kv8-239-p.asp)
  2. 8mm Low Pressure T-Piece (http://www.autogasshop.co.uk/low-pressure-8mm-tee-527-p.asp)
  3. 1m of Rubber coated 8mm copper gas pipe
The idea is to "T" into the low pressure pipe in the Gas Locker but as you can see from the photos, there wasn't a lot there due to a small locker;

1.jpg

2.jpg

So I removed the regulator
3.jpg

I couldn't get the old olive off, so had to cut the end of the pipe off (and yes, I did scratch the wood above :Doh:)
4.jpg

Once cut off, I could remove it in a vice
5.jpg

I cut a small piece of 8mm, notice the rubber sleeve cut back to allow fitment
6.jpg

The 8mm pipe from new is slightly different so bear this in mind when ordering the right size. As you can see below, the standard pipe on the left has a thin coating making the pipe 8mm, however, the new pipe on the right is 8mm, but has a seperate thick rubber outer that needs to be trimmed back to fit connections;
7.jpg

Below, the pipe has been fitted to the regulator and T piece. Note, the ends were filed smooth before fitting
8.jpg

The regulator was now installed in it's new position after connecting the T Piece to the original remaining pipe.
9.jpg

I made some brackets out of Aluminium and fitted them to the KV8
10.jpg

I cut some 8mm pipe to length to connect the T Piece to the KV8 and as before I filed down the end including the inside edge

11.jpg

Using an inexpensive pipe bending spring (shown in photo), I shaped the pipe. Notice I removed the outer casing, this is because the pipe spring is 8mm and wouldn't fit otherwise
12.jpg

Refitted the outer casing, again, notice the ends trimmed to fit into the joints
13.jpg

The pipe was connected to the T Piece and in turn the KV8 which was then screwed to the wall of the gas locker;
14.jpg

15.jpg

Tightened all the joints opened the tank and sprayed some leak detector on the joints, just the low pressure side of the regulator was leaking, a little tighter on the spanner and all sealed
16.jpg

Put the outlet connector for the KV8 in to the feed pipe for BBQ
17.jpg

Connected it up and tested all ok. The gas feed pipe will be a bit longer than this when I use it as not a good idea to have the BBQ that close to the bottle!
18.jpg

Voila!

So there you go, hopefully this can help somebody else looking to do a similar thing. :thumb:

My only concern is that the actual cooking unit is very close to the bodywork of the motor home... I liked your step by step photo's but I would have concerns having it that close to the body work.

Bob

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It appears you can already use a 'slave' external (calor or foreign) cylinder with a Gaslow installation by connecting it to the filler point. See picture clipped from the current Gaslow catalogue, downloaded from their website.

Very interesting post about Gaslows solution. However i expect this would be far more expensive and would suit any type of cylinder as you use a regulator to suit the local bottles. With the gaslow type your tied to british butane or propane

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My only concern is that the actual cooking unit is very close to the bodywork of the motor home... I liked your step by step photo's but I would have concerns having it that close to the body work.

Bob

agree, also my concern..

I can see the advantages .. but too close for my comfort. I had an external gas point on the RV .. but only ever used as an input from another bottle while abroad..

Also used a gas bbq, but used a separate bottle and well away from the van.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Bob

Voila!

So there you go, hopefully this can help somebody else looking to do a similar thing.

Read THE SMALL PRINT Bob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
a picture says a thousand words Geo

Voila!

So there you go, hopefully this can help somebody else looking to do a similar thing.

Read THE SMALL PRINT Bob

A picture says a thousand words.. while I note it says a longer hose, it would have been better in my personal view to have seen a longer gas pipe... it is interesting as I will admit, but if you are showing a how to do.. it is best to have the pictures showing the actual longer gas lead..

I think Jim makes the point also that if using BBQ extension from a tank (regardless if it is a fixed LPG tank or a portable one) it does need to be well away from the motor home.

I personally use a chobb unit I can place that anywhere I want.. cool to handle even when in use... even longer gas pipes can be a risk (trip) so it is personal choice. But I did like the pictures showing how to do it.

Bob

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not sure, but I thought there was a max length for rubber gas pipe..? 3 mts rings a bell ..

in any case, as Bob said it is a trip hazard.. pulling a BBQ over on bare legs doesn't bear thinking about ..

not knocking the job.. very neat :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I seem to have read on RVOC

Not sure, but I thought there was a max length for rubber gas pipe..? 3 mts rings a bell ..

in any case, as Bob said it is a trip hazard.. pulling a BBQ over on bare legs doesn't bear thinking about ..

not knocking the job.. very neat :thumb:

I seem to have read about the length on RVOC.. may have been Duncan of Star Spangeled Spanner that mentioned it.. may be wrong... always happy to stand corrected.

Like you Jim the job looks very professional. Just my view of risk with flexible pipes.. always wanted one of those Spanish double burner rings on legs... but the fear of it going over has stopped me buying one. I quite fancied a cadac as well, but store and other issues put me off. I do have a unleaded petrol Coleman I take with me if I need to use it.. but again it is all self contained no trailing pipes.

Bob

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I seem to have read about the length on RVOC.. may have been Duncan of Star Spangeled Spanner that mentioned it.. may be wrong... always happy to stand corrected.

Like you Jim the job looks very professional. Just my view of risk with flexible pipes.. always wanted one of those Spanish double burner rings on legs... but the fear of it going over has stopped me buying one. I quite fancied a cadac as well, but store and other issues put me off. I do have a unleaded petrol Coleman I take with me if I need to use it.. but again it is all self contained no trailing pipes.

Bob

I gave up on the Cadac, too much hassle setting up, cleaning and packing away .. it's now lying behind the garden shed .. probably rotting away ..

Can't beat a proper charcoal barbie.. Bought a portable Webber.. used it for all sorts, whole roast chicken, joints of beef, heating pizza , pies etc ... :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Nice work Craig and great step by step guide :thumb:

Only problem, for me is that my locker door is round the other side :Sad: I've opted for a spare bottle with my van as the dog kept knocking the BBQ over in the last one....then eating the contents ::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
now a webber is nice

I gave up on the Cadac, too much hassle setting up, cleaning and packing away .. it's now lying behind the garden shed .. probably rotting away ..

Can't beat a proper charcoal barbie.. Bought a portable Webber.. used it for all sorts, whole roast chicken, joints of beef, heating pizza , pies etc ... :thumb:

If I recall Si (Dodgey has one) .. now they are nice (Webber) .. we can do a full chicken in side the cobb.. plus with the frying pan, wok and other units we have we can do everything from bread to pancakes...and of course a full chicken.

Bob

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Nice work Craig and great step by step guide :thumb:

Only problem, for me is that my locker door is round the other side :Sad: I've opted for a spare bottle with my van as the dog kept knocking the BBQ over in the last one....then eating the contents ::bigsmile:

::bigsmile:That reminds me of when I was a young un. We had a spaniel and chickens, my dad used to give it a egg to carry home from the garden, then one day it dropped it and dad shouted it to eat it/lick/clean it up :whatthe: After that the dog used to drop the egg in the same place every day ::bigsmile:
terry

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I would like to thank you for taking the pics so it has made it so much clearer for anyone else thinking of doing this great pictures very clear:thumb:

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Thanks all. Yes I think 3 meters is the max you should use for an external connection.

That'll take it far enough away from the body. As for a tripping hazard, I guess we'll just have to open our eyes. Funsters have gone health and safety mad.

For me, the reason I wanted to use the MHs bottle is because I haven't got the room to carry another gas bottle unless it goes in the garage, then that's more dangerous than what I've done. It would have to be secure, if it leaked it could leak inside (garage is convertable) and the extra weight. Plus what's the point when there's a perfectly large refillable bottle?

The only reason I didn't show the full length hose is that I've not yet got one, I must try harder next time :roflmto:. Either that or read the text first and don't just look at the pictures before critiquing......... :winky:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I looked at the pictures you distracted me

Thanks all. Yes I think 3 meters is the max you should use for an external connection.

That'll take it far enough away from the body. As for a tripping hazard, I guess we'll just have to open our eyes. Funsters have gone health and safety mad.

For me, the reason I wanted to use the MHs bottle is because I haven't got the room to carry another gas bottle unless it goes in the garage, then that's more dangerous than what I've done. It would have to be secure, if it leaked it could leak inside (garage is convertable) and the extra weight. Plus what's the point when there's a perfectly large refillable bottle?

The only reason I didn't show the full length hose is that I've not yet got one, I must try harder next time :roflmto:. Either that or read the text first and don't just look at the pictures before critiquing......... :winky:

I looked at the pictures.. so it is all your fault:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: you distracted me.....

One thing Craig.. Ezzie does not respect bits of hose of electric leads.. 88 kgs just goes where they want, often the shortest route, especial when someone calls 'Hellooo Ezzie':cry::cry:

But heath and safety aside and not reading the words.. the photos looked good.

Bob

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

That'll take it far enough away from the body. As for a tripping hazard, I guess we'll just have to open our eyes.[HI] Funsters have gone health and safety mad.
[/HI]

I was only pointing out the hazard.. I don't think assessing the risk from a trailing gas line in an awning is being H&S mad.. we have two dogs and a 12 yo running around.. in my book, just a sensible precaution ..

however.... I was a H&S manager before retiring, .. so you may well be right :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back