Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
A cautionary tale which may help other beginners to avoid upsetting the site groundsman as much as I did....

Went to Castlerigg Farm campsite near Keswick last weekend. We arrived in convoy with our caravanner friends, and were allocated the pitch next to theirs. It was a grass pitch, sloping down to the gravel forecourt of the site reception area. Tom backed his caravan onto his pitch, and the groundsman directed me back onto the grass adjacent to him, but initially I was not as far back, with front (driving) wheels just onto the grass.

The 'van was sloping quite a lot down at the front - I dug out my ramps and let the 'van roll forward onto them as far as possible, but was still (in my opinion) too far off level to be comfortable. The pitch looked to level off further back, so I resolved to get the 'van further on (the groundsman had by this time disappeared)

So - drive gently forward onto the gravel, then boot it hard in reverse - still not far enough back. Repeated the exercise, this time giving it a good run at it, and success! Still needed the ramps under the front wheels, and even then not level, but near enough for comfort.

Then I noticed the results of my efforts - two grand canyon size ruts in the grass in front of the 'van. :whatthe: Unfortunately the groundsman now reappeared, and he noticed then too. :Angry:

Words were spoken. :Eeek:

Eventually peace and harmony was restored, and we went on to enjoy our stay in a very picturesque location - I will go back there (if they'll have me) but not if it's been raining! (which on reflection, seeing as it's the Lake District, probably is never)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
the usual front wheel heavy booted owners

The usual heavy booted front wheel drive owners.... now a nice rear double rear wheel drive does not have that problem of tearing the grass up getting on or off a pitch.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Winnebago, rear wheel drive rules A OK:Blush:

Bob:Doh:

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
There are times when these things happen. Though we do our best not to carve up the grass, some times we cannot help it!

There was an incident down here with a large a-class who sunk in a major way...it recovered within a month or so, but the ruts were a good 8" deep.

Grass is very resilient, and the rut can be stomped over to level it out a bit.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
A friend of mine was not so lucky. He manoeuvered his Hymer after lowering the legs. Result - broken legs (on the van, not his).

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Naughty Bob :roflmto:

I recall Lincoln Showground 2010. We had no problems getting out of the arena in our front wheel drive van but I seem to recall at least one owner of a heavy rear wheel drive RV being a bit concerned :roflmto:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
The usual heavy booted front wheel drive owners.... now a nice rear double rear wheel drive does not have that problem of tearing the grass up getting on or off a pitch.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Winnebago, rear wheel drive rules A OK:Blush:

Bob:Doh:

I'd love to come back with a witty, devastating riposte - but I have to say I agree with you. But did your mum never tell you - it's rude to gloat? :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Naughty Bob :roflmto:

I recall Lincoln Showground 2010. We had no problems getting out of the arena in our front wheel drive van but I seem to recall at least one owner of a heavy rear wheel drive RV being a bit concerned :roflmto:

That's nowt Graham, you should have seen the mess a 40ft made at Shepton, towed on buy landylovers, err, Landy and 'dug' out:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
There are just TOO many pictures of me up to my front axle in a sand trap ( also known as Pinah S Hose ) for me to say anything other than 'doodoo happens ! '

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back