Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi,
My PC is about 6 years old and over the past 6-8 weeks appears slower than ever. Here are a few examples. When I am typing this message, the typo cant keep up and there is a delay between the typing and it appearing on the screen.

Video's
When watching videos there is a delay when it plays and sometimes it freezes. There is also massive whiring sound coming from the PC when I try and watch something.

i cant make up a video using movie maker because its so unresponsive.

Sometimes its bearable but often its not possible to watch whats there.

is it simply too much junk or is it the processor?

I don't have a copy of Vista to try a restall as I would try that. :Sad:
Im running Vista and I have Avira free anti virus.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Watcher Haggers, I recently installed pc-cleaner after suggestions by those in the know on here and it speeded it up immensely, give it a go, it's a free download.

Griff........:thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Watcher Haggers, I recently installed pc-cleaner after suggestions by those in the know on here and it speeded it up immensely, give it a go, it's a free download.

Griff........:thumb:

tries that , it says I have 474 errors and exceed teh trial limit, pay $39.95:Blush:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Paul,

Try Wise Registry Cleaner Its Free and has a PC optimiser.

How much Ram do you have Vista realy needs 2gb the grandson has a laptop with only 1gb running vista and that is slow and frequently freezes.

Also have you defragged the disk if you download . it is quicker than the built in windows defragmenter

Lunarman

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I would...

Do a right-click on the task bar at the bottom of windows and select Task Manager and then Processes. Have a look if anything is using lots of CPU (click "CPU" to get it to list in this order).

Then I'd download SuperAntiSpyware (free version) and then run that (after it's downloaded the latest updates etc) and see what it finds. It will find loads of advertising cookies but whatever it finds let it delete.

Then I'd download CCLEANER and run that. Get it to Analyse/Run Cleaner on Windows and Applications and then do the same with the registry (when if offers to back up the registry say YES).

When it's done it's thing, go to TOOLs and STARTUP and have a look through there to see if there is anything you don't want to automatically run when Windows starts. First thing to turn off is SuperAntiSpyware. Don't delete any of these, just change the YES to a No in the Enabled column.

If you don't know what some of the things are on the list then leave them or Google them. Anything you do recognise (software you thought you'd uninstalled etc.) then un-enable them.

Now do a reboot and keep your fingers crossed.

Other things which can slow a system down are the Anti-Virus softwares (check yours is up to date) and Windows indexing (which will slow everthing down for a while but should be back to normal when it's indexed your hard disk.

Good luck!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Haggers I think your PC needs to be retired, Vista was never that good (understatement) and Windows7 is light years ahead of it. For what you get, PCs are cheap. Draw some money out of one of all those accounts you have and treat yourself:thumb:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
clean it up stick it in the camper with a dongle payg
nothing lost if you loose it:thumb:

buy a new one for indoors:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Despite jim's best efforts to keep the economy going, I tried practically all of the above with little success,

however,

I opened up the old dog, and had a look inside,

My 2 x 512 DDR2 is now a gleaming 2gb 512mb of DDR and it's as fast as it comes at the moment. But who knows what will happen in the next 1 hour as I go through the various other updates, I even gave it a clean out.

So Jim boy,,,,, VISTA LIVES :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Despite jim's best efforts to keep the economy going, I tried practically all of the above with little success,

however,

I opened up the old dog, and had a look inside,

My 2 x 512 DDR2 is now a gleaming 2gb 512mb of DDR and it's as fast as it comes at the moment. But who knows what will happen in the next 1 hour as I go through the various other updates, I even gave it a clean out.

So Jim boy,,,,, VISTA LIVES :thumb:

6 YR OLD
Did you try turning the gas up:RollEyes:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
The first thing I'd do Paul would be to backup your photos and docs onto CDs since this happened to us last year, the whole lot went to pot and I lost most of them when the hard drive corrupted on it's own. No matter who tried to help and retrieve the goodies, it didn't work and we gave up in the end and got a new one with Windows 7. A bitter financial pill but these things happen. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hear hear Ivy.

We had much the same as that happen too.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Paul check your history and see what Nikki's been viewing..............

You might soon be traded in yourself............:Blush:

Glad to here you opened it and it still works, remember the mini digger........

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Paul.

Buy a new PC.

At least 4GB ram (memory)

At lease a core i5 processor.

Full HD screen

Blu-ray dvd drive.

It's the only answer to your 'hidden' question in your original post.
("Can I use the above as an excuse for a new toy?")

And Windows 7 Ultimate for the OS (Cheap as chips to a dad like you :winky:)

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
clean it up stick it in the camper with a dongle payg
nothing lost if you loose it:thumb:

buy a new one for indoors:thumb:

Thats what i did with my old compaq 420n only use when away from home keep nothing on it apart from what is needed to run it, clean it and use it for access to the internet and the forums/chatroom, autoroute, download pics taken on phone and camera to disc etc

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Agree with the earlier posts on RAM. My old XP desktop was a pain, took 5 minutes to start and the same to close down, slow in every other sense until I doubled the RAM. The things as quick as my laptop with Win7 now. :thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Paul check your history and see what Nikki's been viewing..............

You might soon be traded in yourself............:Blush:

Glad to here you opened it and it still works, [HI]remember the mini digger......[/HI]..

PMSL:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: you mean his back garden ( the Somme):Eeek:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
down load crap cleaner . , also if your hard drive is nearly full that will slow your pc down

I also use this, and have done for years. It is very good and not a scam to make you buy a better version. You can clean your registry and also clean other files. My browser was running really slow recently and after using CC I am back up to speed.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Don't be tempted to backup onto CD or DVD - a few years down the line you'll invariably find that they won't play, for any number of reasons. Far better to backup to an external drive, that way your files will always be readable and easily accessible.

Big thumbs up also for:thumb: CCleaner.....:thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Paul,

Try Wise Registry Cleaner Its Free and has a PC optimiser.

How much Ram do you have Vista realy needs 2gb the grandson has a laptop with only 1gb running vista and that is slow and frequently freezes.

Also have you defragged the disk if you download . it is quicker than the built in windows defragmenter

Lunarman

Last night I downloaded wisecleaner and wise registry cleaner onto this ten year old Fujitsu tower, that was ready for throwing out,

Blimey Lunarman have you got the equivalent for a 66 year old couple, the nearest comparison I can make is putting nitro into an already good engine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back