Aussie deer hunters killed by leaking gas-powered fridge (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A tragic story, a reminder about how important it is to have gas appliances serviced regularly..

THE deaths of three deer hunters as they slept in an old caravan at a remote Australian camping spot are being blamed on inadequate ventilation and a leaking gas-powered fridge.

Police believe the men, who were camping in the Central Highlands of Tasmania, Australia's island state 149 miles (240km) south of the mainland, were killed by carbon monoxide poisoning.

A Launceston man in his 50s, his 21-year-old son, who lived in Hobart, and a 30-year-old friend from Launceston, were found dead in their caravan at Miena, near Little Pine Lagoon, on Saturday morning.

Their bodies were discovered by the trio's hunting companions, a man and his nine-year-old son, who had spent the night in a tent nearby.

Link Removed

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A tragic story, a reminder about how important it is to have gas appliances serviced regularly..

Indeed, Jim, especially coming on the back of This Story from last week.

Motorhomes these days usually have smoke alarms fitted but not CO. However, fitting a CO alarm is just as easy as a smoke alarm and they are available for around £12 at many supermarkets these days.

Our van had neither type of alarm when we bought it so I fitted Link Removed. A five minute job.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Two very tragic stories and so unnecessary these days with the availability of inexpensive alarms.

I particularly like the CO detectors that have a digital readout of current AND past CO levels in the air.

Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Motorhomes these days usually have smoke alarms fitted but not CO. However, fitting a CO alarm is just as easy as a smoke alarm and they are available for around £12 at many supermarkets these days.

yes indeed Graham.. a lifesaving piece of kit.. and cost is no excuse for not having one..

and as you say cheap as chips

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Allow me to be the first to pull the trigger then Craig?

PS have also got me own matches

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Oh my God! Those cruel awful men shooting the poor little cute brown-eyed bambi wambis!
They deserved all they got??????

Get real! Your motorhomes have damaged the planet far more than the taking of a few deer for food!:RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Indeed, Jim, especially coming on the back of This Story from last week.

Our van had neither type of alarm when we bought it so I fitted Link Removed. A five minute job.
likewise Graham...similar to mine.

i also fitted a smoke alarm in the wardrobe as the charger/converter and mains/12v fuse box is underneath the wardrobe floor

Kidde smoke & CO alarm

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Taking Deer for food is one thing (when farmed responsibly)

Just going out shooting things is another.

My driving of vehicles maybe polluting but I don't go around like a caveman shooting things for no real reason causing huge suffering to animals for a "look at me I'm tough cause I gotta gun".

Get real? I am real which is why I think more of the suffering animals than I do knobheads with guns trying to be tough guys.

At least it was a fair contest on this particular occasion! :thumb:

This of course is all my opinion. This is one step lower down the fair play than when these idiots shoot each other by accident, now that's entertaining to read!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I go target shooting, I must be a knobhead, I suppose.
I live in a village where many villagers indulge in shooting whether it be vermin control, deer control or clay/target shooting. I suppose that makes them all knobheads too.......

One thing all responsible country sportsmen do take seriously though, is the welfare of wildlife and the conservation of the environment. Nobody wants to see animals in distress and great lengths are taken to ensure clean kills.

So think about that when you next knock over a rabbit or pheasant when you are out in your motorhome and haven't the guts to go back and dispatch the poor unfortunate animal properly.

My friends in the village will be thrilled when I inform them down the pub that they are all wished dead by carbon monoxide poisoning.............

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Not at all. I was clearly referring to shooting animals.

I think target and clay is a great sport and a true tallent.

I live in the sticks and trust me, there are not a lot of "responsible country sportsmen" you speak of that give a damn.

Actually, if I ever do run over an animal (which has only happened once), I actually do go and rescue it. Along with all the other animals in distress.

You might want to think about your facts before posting that as myself and the other half do a hell of a lot of work for the local Wildlife Rescue centre. The other day, I saw a Pheasant that had been hit by a car. I drove home (as I was in the car and couldn't pick it up) got the Land Rover and drove back to collect it and take it to the Sanctury.

The centre deals with a lot of the left overs from these "responsible country sportsmen" you speak of!

EDIT: Just to clarify, I don't wish anyone dead? I've not said that, but as you mentioned it, you can tell your locals that they are fine as 2 out of 3 of my vehicles are Diesel which is very low in Carbon Monoxide, so they can sleep well at night.

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
We live near a big shoot and I hit plenty of pheasants in My Lanny, I always stop too,

Really bizarre law, but you do realise this is illegal.

A bit of a wierd one, if you run over a Pheasant (or other game bird) you are not allowed to stop and pick it up. However, if you find one that someone else has you can? British Law at it's best yet again?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Lets kiss and make up Craig! Agree to differ!

I acknowledge there are some idiots out there who don't give a damn about the animals in their sights, but one has to toe the party line, so to speak!

Just for the record, we have an RSPCA wildlife hospital in our village and i have taken them a duckling, kestrel and a muntjack, along with appropriate donations!

The munjack had me licking my lips but I would have had lost my FAC if I had slaughtered it in my garden!!::bigsmile:

S

stagman

Deleted User
We live near a big shoot and I hit plenty of pheasants in My Lanny, I always stop too,

MMM that looks nice , far prefer a pheasant that has enjoyed living in the wild till the day it is shot than a chicken that has been cooped up in a overcrowded pen until the day it is electrocuted . Can you tell me exactly where you hit these birds in your Lanny .:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back