Satellite experts out there? (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Hi,
Have just purchased a multimo satellite dish from fleabay (why, oh why did I do that?) and spent the last 4 hours in the cold with my wife trying to set it up with absolutely dismal results! I have read and retread all the instructions from multimo, the sat finder, road pro and marlin to no effect. If I put the finder in line I get a signal that isn't very stable but shows 73% however when I try and tune the receiver in I get 0% no matter what I do.
Assuming the receiver is good (I get all the correct info on the tv) and the cables are good (they are new) then that just leaves the dish that I bought on fleabay as being faulty.

Is there any way that I can test the LNB?

Any ideas please?

Cheers

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Is it a manual or automatic seeking dish?

If manual it sounds like you're pointing at a satellite but not the right one.

I'd check the receiver box first to make sure it's set to the right satellite you want. Then have another go at pointing the dish. Sounds like you're about right in the up and down just need to go left or right to get the right satellite.

I'm no expert, but this is what I find. Get a good signal on the sat finder but none on the box. Move the dish a bit to the right and bingo.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi,
Have just purchased a multimo satellite dish from fleabay (why, oh why did I do that?) and spent the last 4 hours in the cold with my wife trying to set it up with absolutely dismal results! I have read and retread all the instructions from multimo, the sat finder, road pro and marlin to no effect. If I put the finder in line I get a signal that isn't very stable but shows 73% however when I try and tune the receiver in I get 0% no matter what I do.
Assuming the receiver is good (I get all the correct info on the tv) and the cables are good (they are new) then that just leaves the dish that I bought on fleabay as being faulty.

Any ideas please?

Cheers

Are you sure you are pointing at the correct sat. It is VERY easy to pick up Astra 1 by mistake. If you sat finder picks up a signal but no picture I would check this first. Astra 2 will be slightly lower down & to the East.

PS I use this site to get the correct Co Ords. http://www.dishpointer.com/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we have the Arcon much like yours, very easy to set up and used in the UK and France and works like a 60cm, just keep practising once you get the hang of it, you will say the same.:winky::ROFLMAO:

Keep away from trees, and you will get there in the end. ::bigsmile: Great little dish. :Smile: Bob.

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have a Sky box , but I always set up using the cheapo Aldi box as it indicates which sat you are on, as others say sounds like your on Astra 1:thumb:

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
i had a multimo.
once you get the nack of setting up they are good. two points might help
make shure there is no damage to metal dish.to explain i twisted the dish slightly so lnb was off centre never got signall untill straighed it out

i allso made up used a suction mount to clamp to side of van made things a lot easyer only a few mins to set up after that

hope that helps

Hi,

Any ideas please?

Cheers

davaud

Free Member
Mar 20, 2008
cheshire
Funster No
MH
1992 coachbuilt
Exp
3 years motorhoming 18 years caraving
hi have the same problem last week tried to set the dish up in the garden which is quite enclosed after an hour just plonked it down and went in for a brew came back and it was done sometimes if the area is bad you need to just wait a minute or two for it to tune in

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
I do not know if your satellite box has a services page, SKY ones do, and I always use this and not a satellite finder as they can find many that you do not want. I stand where I can see the two (strength and quality) bars on the TV and I always swing the dish from East. Yes I know the wise guys say West but then it is not the first satellite you come to, from East it is the first. Get the up/down angle about right and come in from East moving the dish a fraction and stopping to give it time to lock on. When the strength bar begins to show and the box says locked on you can fine tune the up/down.

Have a look at http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/

but remember to come in from the East!

I find that if I cannot get locked on in two minutes something is wrong - usually a tree! Have a cup of tea and start over and it normally gets easier. Of course if someone else on the site has their dish up, or you can see one on a nearby house, it is permissible to cheat.

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
When I got my portable Maxview system had loads of problems getting the thing to work , eventually after a phone call to their helpline the coaxial cable was blamed and they dispatched a new one , have had no problems since . So a new cable can be faulty .

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As a dedicated non-watcher of TV, i am always fascinated by the immense amount of effort put in to get a satellite signal. I assume people see it as a challenge, as it's pretty unlikely there will be anything worth watching at the end of it. ::bigsmile:

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
As a dedicated non-watcher of TV, i am always fascinated by the immense amount of effort put in to get a satellite signal. I assume people see it as a challenge, as it's pretty unlikely there will be anything worth watching at the end of it. ::bigsmile:

Your right! it is a personal challenge to find the satellite, and as you say 200 channels of crap when you find it:Eeek:If it wasn't for BBC2 & Discovery Channels I would not bother:thumb: and in HD even clearer crap.

OP
OP
Nirvanauk
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Thanks to everyone that offered advice. Planted the dish in my field next to the house, ignored the sat finder just looked at the tv for signal strength and quality, soon locked on to Astra 2 . It was a bit more difficult finding Astra 1 just so I can watch the grand prix on rtl this weekend. I did find that the vertical elevation had to be put up quite a bit but it is now firmly (ha!) wedged in place with a few twigs.!
Thanks again.
Paul

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Pleased to hear your now sorted, but best advice I can give for future use is to turn the dish very slowly. So many times ive sat and watched people getting frustrated trying in vain to tune in a dish. The decoder box takes a second or two to respond, so if you turn the dish too fast, you miss the signal. The smaller the dish basically the slower you move it

acdctv

Free Member
Mar 28, 2012
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Dodge
Exp
Very true about the dish movements, the Easyfind kits help somewhat but as you already have a receiver you would be well advised to check if where you are located requires you to skew the LNB, (often it can be as much as 1/5th of a turn), we've wasted hours moving dishes when it was actually the LNB which needed turning. This also fixed our home set-up as well which could not get a decent signal on vertical signals but was ok on horizontal ones. Well worth checking.

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
Just got a new automatic sat dish....May have a problem testing it out!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• P3280204.jpg
    P3280204.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 43

bullrush

Free Member
Aug 11, 2012
gosport
Funster No
MH
Rapido c class
Exp
20 yrs
Multimo Dishes

Yep I had simular results when trying to set it up. I gave up and sold it, I just could not tune it in, useless.
I then purchased a Sat dish fron my local tv man and converted it to mount on a pole attached to my camper cycle racy with a quick release .........the result.... easy to set up and remove so WHY bother spending £150 plus when a simple £30 dish will do

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
I used my Multimo for the first time this weekend stuck it on the roof worked straight away through a Sky box
:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Anyone want a an Aldi Sat system?::bigsmile:

It comes in a plastic case, has a free-to-air 240/12V receiver with remote control, a suction mount, what appears to be a tow frame mount (for a caravan), a 40cm dish, a flat cable to exit a window or skylight and lots of coax.
Everything works well, in fact it was last seen in action at Hagger's bring and buy meet!

We are in West Norfolk and will be at Newark this weekend!:thumb:

£35.00 ONO!

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
We have had an Arcon dish ( similar to multimo ) for a few years now and get a fantastic signal and easy set up. You needto be aware that the elevation on these dishes is greater as the lnb is not offset the dish points at the satellite. Then come at Astra 2 from the East.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back