LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Are MH steadies really required ? I see some with and some without. Is the only purpose to steady the MH when you're in it or can they also be used to level the unit as well ?

Do you require 4 or only 2 ?

They look like an easy DIY fit, onto the chassis I assume

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Steadies are normally only found on RV's as far as I know and yes they can be/are used for leveling

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
it's in the name

Corner steadies do just that. My van has them at the rear only. They simply reduce bounce in that area (fixed bed end :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:). They are just not up to the job of levelling the van unlike some powered jacks that are fitted for that purpose.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Corner steadies do just that. My van has them at the rear only. They simply reduce bounce in that area (fixed bed end :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:). They are just not up to the job of levelling the van unlike some powered jacks that are fitted for that purpose.

I concur.. we had them on all our Euro vans, great for stopping it rocking when walking about and also help when it's blowing a hoolie .. but as said.. not for levelling

Had none on the RV .. frankly it didn't need them to stop it rocking.. it takes a lot of bedroom antics to rock an 8.5ton coach ...
The type generally fitted to RVs are hydraulic, operated from the cab and are indeed for levelling ..

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We have two wind-down steadies on the back. Hardly ever use them and we have a rear over-garage bed so sleep above the area where they would make some difference.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
OK thanks guys, will go without for now and see how it is. Looks easy and not too expensive to add if we need to do so later this year.

Thanks

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
while we are an RV no jacks

While we are an RV, ours being a baby at 23'9" (see the red link below, allow to load) it never came with Jacks, they are made to fit the E350 chassis.. but was an expensive option.

On site we tend to use Fiamma levelling ramps as needed. We do have a double back wheel on the RV to spread the load.. I have fitted air suspension to the rear axle and can increase pressure is needed to stop any rock and roll.

But I do fit a bottle back under the rear tow bar to assist the stopping of any rock and then we have a scissor jack under the electric step to take out some of it as well (just only touches on so no pressure) We do have a couple special long jacks as supports on the slide out.. so it is rock solid when we move about in side and Ezzie jumps on and off the settee.

Everyone has there own ideas.. in the USA they do wind down steadies that are on a bar that bolts under the front bumper or across the rear and are used just like those on a caravan.. so you can go mega expensive to really cheap or DIY as we do. always think outside the box.

Bob

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Never felt the need to use the wind down ones caravanstyle
already fitted on the rear of our Apache when we bought it.
Use fiamma ramps for leveling.

regards
Steve

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Never use the steadies on our van. Just an extra job to put them down and something else to remember when you move.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Have steadies fitted to the Rapido. But they are in front of the rear wheels so it is down on your knees to reach them and they are awkward to get down so very rarely use them

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Somebody mentioned that it's something else to forget when moving one, must admit that's a very good point. i can see me trying to drive off with these things down:ROFLMAO:

Still have some Fiamma wedgey levelly things from the Tin Tent, will use these for leveling and pass on the steadies and see how we go.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Somebody mentioned that it's something else to forget when moving one, must admit that's a very good point. i can see me trying to drive off with these things down:ROFLMAO:

Still have some Fiamma wedgey levelly things from the Tin Tent, will use these for leveling and pass on the steadies and see how we go.

It isn't that funny. I've done it. No damage to van but a fair job of ploughing the field.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
We have the rear steadies, and have used them a couple of times, but the portable ones we have, are best used on the chassis near the step, which is where most of the wobbling originates.

If anyone wnated to fit a set of hydraulic levellers, some hearst' have them.

fraggle

Free Member
Dec 3, 2011
blackpool
Funster No
MH
lowprofile starspirit
Exp
3days
i also considered the same for my swift starspiritand swift sent me drawings as where top place them
i also trawled ebay and found sombody selling axlejack type steadies upto 24"
for £9.25 each plus postage as against (wind down corner) caravan type at £50 plus fitting:thumb::thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I did toy with the idea of fitting them to my boat, oddly enough everywhere I moor up for the night is dead flat.

Of course if I did sail off when they're down I'd catch all sorts of crap, weed mud, sharks etc.
:winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Any van with a long rear overhang can benefit by steadies. We have had a few vans with lutons, when there are three kids messing about in the luton, the movement is amplified and us in the rear bed would be thrown all over the place or have cups of tea spilled. Winding those steadies down tight eliminated the worst of this and also stopped any movement made at our end, waking them in the luton:Smile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Are MH steadies really required ? I see some with and some without. Is the only purpose to steady the MH when you're in it or can they also be used to level the unit as well ?

Do you require 4 or only 2 ?

They look like an easy DIY fit, onto the chassis I assume

Ridgeway.....I have them fitted as standard on the motorhome very quick to set up and quick to put away again...they are just pull click done...no winding.....do I use them Mmmm???? 95% of the time NO..........5% yes...I would mainly use them if it was very very windy.......but I would say if your suspension is a little on the weak side YES it could be an advantage stop the motorhome swaying from side to side as walk about inside

Now Ramps YES I use
Now ramps I have these three stage around 100mm max high,....
Link Removed

if and when I buy again I will get these at 140mm high or these at 160mm ....that little extra does help:Eeek:

Link Removed

Link Removed

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Simples really leveling ramps for leveling - Corner steadies for steadying :thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We had them on the last van, and I got away without putting them down for 2 years, :winky: before Jane realised other people were using theirs, and found we had them. :ROFLMAO:

Since then I have to put them down all the time................................Unless we free camp and need a quick getter way. :ROFLMAO: Bob.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have a longer overhang than some vans and they DO have steadies where as we don't have them fitted as standard.
Why do some shorter vans have them and we don't, we could do with some in high winds and when we are stepping in and out of the van?
We have done without them for 8 years (have never had them on any van )so probably will carry on as we are.
We do use the high Milenco quatro ramps for levelling, have got us level on quite a steep slope.

dealgan

Free Member
Oct 23, 2007
Donegal, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2006
I use the rear corner steadies all the time. They do make a big difference.

I also admit to trying to drive off with them still down though - First ever trip when we got the mh. Haven't forgotten since :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back