Free Member
Mar 15, 2012
Alvor
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Thinking of Wild Camping in Alvor? - Forget It

On behalf of the many residents of Alvor and Portimao may I suggest that parking your Motorhome near the Alvor swimming pool and at the back of the Dunes should be the further most thought from your mind.

Alvor is a beautiful location and we do not want it spoilt by Selfish Wild Campers who are too mean to pay for a proper site. It is illegal to Wild Camp in Portugal but you do like to slip under the radar. Well the radar has spotted you, yes you, parking for free, using local water for free and dumping waste water down storm drains.

You look like a bunch of modern day Irish Tinkers that would be soon moved on in countries like the UK. You add little to the local economy, some of you even steal toilet paper from communal Toilets at local beach restaurants. You are a blight on the local landscape, an eyesore for all to see. You park close to villas and apartments that good people have paid a lot of money for and who pay their taxes that now partially subsidises your life style.

Our message to you is simply this - put your hands in your pockets and pay to park at the local camp site. This way you will pay fairly for what facilities you use, you will keep the campsite in business and you will contribute properly to the local economy.

Alvor Welcomes Campers But Not Wild Campers

Broken Link Removed

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi must say portimao and alvor isnt a very nice place anyway . why anyone would want to go there is beyond me. far nicer places . possibly it could be the local immigrants stealing the toilet paper . but you can park just about where ever you want thats legal. so lets just not go there and then we can spend our money in friendlier places. there are many in portugal . . give them a miss.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Don't expect this person will be joining the Fun website!

Remember all the locals who would much prefer it if there weren't loads and loads and loads of holiday "villas" and flats (mostly empty most of the time) where the power of the ex-pats' pound has priced out the locals...

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I thought MotorHomeFun was for people interested in motorhomes not those wanting to buy properties abroad... :Angry:

I didn't moan (too much) when my beautiful winter location (where the locals welcomed the motorhomers and even rose up against the council when they tried to ban them) was totally spoilt by huge blocks of holiday apartments which are now empty all year except for ten weeks in the summer... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
"You look like modern day irish tinkers that would soon me moved on in countries like the Uk"
Thats actually quite funny!

OP
OP
A

alvorcomments

Free Member
Mar 15, 2012
Alvor
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Hi,

Checkout the comment taken from

Alvor
A nice fishing village on the Algarve. You can get away with 1 or 2 nights on the harbour, after that the police will move you as the local campsite owner gets the hump. DO NOT take water from the sports centre or he will ring and have you moved and DO NOT empty your loo in his toilets. We were advised of this by people who had stayed there previously who had seen someone taking advantage in this way and spoiled it for all that were there.

As far as parking anywhere you like - no, only in designated areas and not on private land without permission. Immigrants stealing loo paper, I don't think so but I know so about the campers. Sorry you don't like Alvor and Portimao but thats good as thats one less van. 64 of you there 2 weeks ago and the authorities removed around 40 from one area overnight. That was a good nights work. Talk about spending money - well spend it at the Alvor campsite and then the guy wont go out of business.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi jj wait till property there falls flat .strange then they will be screaming for more money . but never mind . like i have said not a nice place and its quite clear they dont want me. . better take a few more fray bentos ,dont want to spend any money there. hope the op can write this on dutch .french and german websites as well.

OP
OP
A

alvorcomments

Free Member
Mar 15, 2012
Alvor
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
And its true

All thats now required is half dozen Mercs and Beemers scattered around, a few loads ofTarmac and some plastic cladding and guttering to make it look the real deal.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well welcome to the fun. a very strange way to make friends . but not very friendly in your 3 posts so far . lets hope you calm down and tell us some nice wild parking spots . bet you know a few .

OP
OP
A

alvorcomments

Free Member
Mar 15, 2012
Alvor
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Well I will try

hi jj wait till property there falls flat .strange then they will be screaming for more money . but never mind . like i have said not a nice place and its quite clear they dont want me. . better take a few more fray bentos ,dont want to spend any money there. hope the op can write this on dutch .french and german websites as well.

We are not worried about property prices falling and we wont scream for money. Its the locals that need the money and they need it now. They need you to pay for your parking, to pay for your water, to pay for your sanitation just like they have to do.

Oh, by the way, just send me the links to the Dutch, French and German sites and the job will be done. No worries.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I would like to know why the op thinks that its members here that would be parked there, or have they put the same message on all the other motorhome sites not only in the UK but as already stated in Germany, France,Holland, Italy not to mention Spain and of course those that live in Portugal that own motorhomes there.

Just seen the above reply, Google is everyones friend other countries forums can be found through it and it will even translate what you want to put. Saying that i think the manner and phrasing in which you have put your original post to be quite rude and i think if you read a bit on here you will find that most here use aires and sites and yes im not disputing that a few might wildcamp but Portugal isnt really on the agenda for most of us

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont blame me i,m not there i,m in uk. and can say i wouldnt park there as its not up to my usual standard .bit rough area i think.

OP
OP
A

alvorcomments

Free Member
Mar 15, 2012
Alvor
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
well welcome to the fun. a very strange way to make friends . but not very friendly in your 3 posts so far . lets hope you calm down and tell us some nice wild parking spots . bet you know a few .

I am here just to get the message across that camper vans randomly parked in Alvor are not a pretty site. In fact 2-years ago they made a complete mess of the official parking area near the swimming pool that clearly had a sign indicating that it was illegal to park in an area designed for cars only. A sign indicating no caravans with simple little symbols, so simple that the dimmest person could have understood it. It was so obvious that Stevie Wonder could have seen it. But whether from the UK or elsewhere in Europe those campers thought they were above the law.

Dozens of motor-homes were seen and photographed in that area over the winter months where the area eventually became a mud pond. After they were requested to move the authorities then had to tidy the area up at whose cost - the locals and those who pay taxes. I hope someone is getting the picture by now?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Why tell us all this... Half the Funsters here never go further than France... A quarter of the rest of them don't leave the UK...

Hardly anyone here long term wild camps (I do though)...

I have stayed in Alvor for a couple of nights but I found the town to be a tourist hell hole...

I am proud that in over twenty five years of full time living I have never been moved on by anyone... police or grumpy "residents" who think that because they have spent a few bob buying a "villa" they own the surrounding area and its views...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, are you getting the picture a m,home is a category m1 vehicle .thats a car with a special body . eu law allows m,homes to park in any carpark or parking area that allows cars to park . the caravan pic is for caravans . the spanish have already been taken to the eu courts about this . parking is allowed. things outside like tables and chairs mean camping . its all very simple .nothing outside is parking . un fortunately the gnr and police local are being notified about this as we write here. try contacting a portugese m,home club there are some on the webb they are very familiar with the ruling.if you ask i,m sure they will direct you to the contacts to speak to.
its not illegal to park in portugal. you could try asking the offenders to be more helpfull and tidy .
i for one have never been asked to move by the portugese authority when i have been there. i abide by the rules .
but please try a google for m,home clubs in portugal .i cant remember the site this moment but its quite active in m,homes abiding by the rules .
but thanks for warning us that your area isnt so friendly anymore .
it did come across a bit strong . have a pleasant search might be usefull for you.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
This is getting personal, as already said most of us on this forum use sites or do not even leave the UK.
I suggest you start knocking on the doors of the offenders where they are wildcamped, probably most from all over Europe, as you are wasting your time here especially with your abrasive approach. :Eeek:

OP
OP
A

alvorcomments

Free Member
Mar 15, 2012
Alvor
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
I would like to know why the op thinks that its members here that would be parked there, or have they put the same message on all the other motor-home sites not only in the UK but as already stated in Germany, France,Holland, Italy not to mention Spain and of course those that live in Portugal that own motor-homes there.

Just seen the above reply, Google is everyones friend other countries forums can be found through it and it will even translate what you want to put. Saying that i think the manner and phrasing in which you have put your original post to be quite rude and i think if you read a bit on here you will find that most here use aires and sites and yes im not disputing that a few might wildcamp but Portugal isnt really on the agenda for most of us

Don't get me wrong as I am not pointing the finger at any particular person, group or country or any particular Forum Group. The purpose of these posts was to get it across to those who have motor-homes and wish to travel to Alvor to respect it, use it and have a good time but to do it in the right way and not to take advantage. To date many of the motor-homes that are seen in Alvor have not been doing it the right way.

As I have written so many times - no one living in the UK or indeed in any other civilized country would want to wake-up one morning to find 50 or 60 Mobile Homes parked opposite their homes, taking water from a stand-pipe in the street, taking a free shower at the local pool and emptying waste matter down the rainwater drains or in someone else's toilet.

My message on behalf of many, Portuguese residents and business people is aimed at any website where wild camping in Alvor is mentioned and that was the case with this site. Obviously my post has hit a nerve which begs the question of how many feel guilty. Those who have been to Alvor and "wild camped" should talk to campers currently staying the winter at the camp site. They are of the same opinion as me and many others.

I rest my case.

OP
OP
A

alvorcomments

Free Member
Mar 15, 2012
Alvor
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
This is getting personal, as already said most of us on this forum use sites or do not even leave the UK.
I suggest you start knocking on the doors of the offenders where they are wild-camped, probably most from all over Europe, as you are wasting your time here especially with your abrasive approach. :Eeek:

Well this may be the wrong site but as I replied to another gentleman it seems to have hit a nerve. I agree its not just a number of Brits who are to blame as many other nationalities are involved. I am simply wanting to get the message across that whoever is to blame in Alvor should stop and think what they are doing if they happen to visit again.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Don't get me wrong as I am not pointing the finger at any particular person, group or country or any particular Forum Group. The purpose of these posts was to get it across to those who have motor-homes and wish to travel to Alvor to respect it, use it and have a good time but to do it in the right way and not to take advantage. To date many of the motor-homes that are seen in Alvor have not been doing it the right way.

As I have written so many times - no one living in the UK or indeed in any other civilized country would want to wake-up one morning to find 50 or 60 Mobile Homes parked opposite their homes, taking water from a stand-pipe in the street, taking a free shower at the local pool and emptying waste matter down the rainwater drains or in someone else's toilet.

My message on behalf of many, Portuguese residents and business people is aimed at any website where wild camping in Alvor is mentioned and that was the case with this site. Obviously my post has hit a nerve which begs the question of how many feel guilty. Those who have been to Alvor and "wild camped" should talk to campers currently staying the winter at the camp site. They are of the same opinion as me and many others.

I rest my case.

The only thing that hit a nerve was the abrasive manner of your post, there is a right and a wrong way to phrase things, especially in a first post. Many places get mentioned on a forum like this but that doesnot mean that someone goes there to wildcamp, if i remember rightly a warning was put on the forums last year about someone in a campervan that was breaking into other vans, they were it was stated east european down the area you are on about

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Well this may be the wrong site but as I replied to another gentleman it seems to have hit a nerve. I agree its not just a number of Brits who are to blame as many other nationalities are involved. I am simply wanting to get the message across that whoever is to blame in Alvor should stop and think what they are doing if they happen to visit again.

You probably have hit a nerve, you are probably knocking on the wrong door and I don't do cold callers :RollEyes:

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
am not the brights in the pack put what i do find that its them that complain dump shit and then blame others

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi again . the point is eu law allows 50 to60 vans to be parked there. so long as they abide by the rules . taking water from fountains taps etc isnt a crime . tipping sewage into storm drains is . i sugest if you see one doing it then report them . there are strict guidelines that the police can use. i ca assure you i live in the most tourist area of the uk and in summer its out turn . but the same rules apply . i have played a part in the spanish changing of their suposed rules to align with the eu . it did take time . i also know of several signs put up in portugal a few years ago that were illegal by the authorities thses have been removed .
its unfortunate that the press in these countries dont read or understand the eu rules they load the gun for locals to fire . but in fact the campers may be totally legal.
sorry if its what you dont want to hear .but it could be true . not being there i ,m only sumising .

OP
OP
A

alvorcomments

Free Member
Mar 15, 2012
Alvor
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
hi, are you getting the picture a m,home is a category m1 vehicle .thats a car with a special body . eu law allows m,homes to park in any carpark or parking area that allows cars to park . the caravan pic is for caravans . the spanish have already been taken to the eu courts about this . parking is allowed. things outside like tables and chairs mean camping . its all very simple .nothing outside is parking . un fortunately the gnr and police local are being notified about this as we write here. try contacting a portugese m,home club there are some on the webb they are very familiar with the ruling.if you ask i,m sure they will direct you to the contacts to speak to.
its not illegal to park in portugal. you could try asking the offenders to be more helpfull and tidy .
i for one have never been asked to move by the portugese authority when i have been there. i abide by the rules .
but please try a google for m,home clubs in portugal .i cant remember the site this moment but its quite active in m,homes abiding by the rules .
but thanks for warning us that your area isnt so friendly anymore .
it did come across a bit strong . have a pleasant search might be usefull for you.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately a few spoil it for the majority. The situation in Alvor came to a head as they were not parked in a proper car park but had just taken over and dominated an area of land by the Alvor Pool. 64 motor homes 2 weeks ago was a bit over the top and thats the reason for the posts. All anyone asks if for due consideration to be given to the local environment and residents, thats all.
Thanks again for some of your advice.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
OP - So you've contributed £10 to the British economy by joining Fun to get your rant off your chest. :roflmto: Good on yer. ::bigsmile:

I wonder where you'll bolt to when the Euro finally goes belly up and Portugal ends up the doo doo like Greece? Wild campers will seem insignificant then I imagine.

Back to Blighty perhaps, lets hope you receive a nice welcome.:whatthe:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back