Norway, motorhome or fly and hotel (1 Viewer)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi guys, perhaps you can help me a bit. We would like to visit Norway, specifically the Fjords, possibly late this year (October) and I'm interested in options. Obviously we would like to take the motorhome but its a long drive and fuel/ferries/campsite fees could become an issue. The alternative would be to fly out (cheap flights are pretty reasonable from either Manchester or Gatwick). Suggestions welcomed as to routes for going in the camper and what sort of ferry charges we might expect. Also suggestions for hotel/B&B type accomodation. We're probably looking at 7 to 10 days but might stretch to a fortnight.

D.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Dave
We're planning to do the arctic circle next year and most of Scandinavia and hoping to include a trip to Svalbard / Spitsbergen. Planning now although our plans are always very loose just a list of places we want to visit and we also want to make it to Nordkapp. We reckon to take 3 months at least to do the whole trip and will drive all the way.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Hi guys, perhaps you can help me a bit. We would like to visit Norway, specifically the Fjords, possibly late this year (October) and I'm interested in options. Obviously we would like to take the motorhome but its a long drive and fuel/ferries/campsite fees could become an issue. The alternative would be to fly out (cheap flights are pretty reasonable from either Manchester or Gatwick). Suggestions welcomed as to routes for going in the camper and what sort of ferry charges we might expect. Also suggestions for hotel/B&B type accomodation. We're probably looking at 7 to 10 days but might stretch to a fortnight.

D.

Someone has been watching the Hairy Bikers::bigsmile:

Funnily enough just calculated a trip from here, doing a Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and back

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Many years ago we went on a fly drive holiday to Norway. Picked up a VW at the airport in Bergen. The big advantage was it was LHD and locally plated so we could stare at the Brits on sites,caused some confusion when we picked up a couple of English students hitching.
That may be worth investigating.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Im glad a few are thinking of venturing out. Nikki has began planning our trip and looking at various options for a 3 month break. Got a few years before we can go yet so hopefully will have lots of information by the time we go from you lot.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
OP is asking the wrong forum for his post title. Obviously motorhome :Smile:

Hotels :Angry::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::Angry:

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi Dave,

Answered some questions about Scandinavia before so here some links that could be of help.

Suggestions for the trip to Scandinavia

And here another one

And here for driving in Sweden/Norway

In general, October is a bit late for traveling in Scandinavia. The days are getting a lot shorter and chances for bad weather are increasing.

And given the fact you are planning for a very short vacation, 7 - 14 days i think i would go for the plane.

Hope this can be of help

Paul and Ineke

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
OP is asking the wrong forum for his post title. Obviously motorhome :Smile:

Hotels :Angry::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::Angry:

Why is OP asking the wrong forum? I did say we'd prefer to take the motorhome but as its a relatively short break fly/drive may be a better option. Perhaps if you have nothing constructive to offer you might like to consider keeping your opinions to yourself?

D.

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi Dave
We're planning to do the arctic circle next year and most of Scandinavia and hoping to include a trip to Svalbard / Spitsbergen. Planning now although our plans are always very loose just a list of places we want to visit and we also want to make it to Nordkapp. We reckon to take 3 months at least to do the whole trip and will drive all the way.

Would it be possible to share some of your plans please?

D.

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Someone has been watching the Hairy Bikers::bigsmile:

Funnily enough just calculated a trip from here, doing a Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and back

I appreciate you'll be starting from a different country but would you mind sharing the route you planned?

D.

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Many years ago we went on a fly drive holiday to Norway. Picked up a VW at the airport in Bergen. The big advantage was it was LHD and locally plated so we could stare at the Brits on sites,caused some confusion when we picked up a couple of English students hitching.
That may be worth investigating.

Any suggestions as to companies providing fly/drive holidays in Norway?

D.

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi Dave,

Answered some questions about Scandinavia before so here some links that could be of help.

Suggestions for the trip to Scandinavia

And here another one

And here for driving in Sweden/Norway

In general, October is a bit late for traveling in Scandinavia. The days are getting a lot shorter and chances for bad weather are increasing.

And given the fact you are planning for a very short vacation, 7 - 14 days i think i would go for the plane.

Hope this can be of help

Paul and Ineke

Thank you Paul, some very useful and interesting reading in those linked threads. I'll give them a closer read through this evening.

D.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
D.
If it were me I would fly and take a smallish tent with me. Hire a car from the airport, don't stay in one place, book into a number of hotels and use the tent when you fancy. This would give you total freedom to travel. Then you have the best of both worlds, total freedom. Even for the more mature camper tents are great. :thumb:
Now all you have to do is convince the wife.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Dave
One thing to bear in mind when going so late in the year will be daylight. There won't be much of it that late in the year. Another one - if you did watch the hairy bikers last night then most of the more spectacular roads that you saw will be closed.

We have been to Norway on numerous occasions and absolutely love it. I do think however it is best seen in all it's glory which in my opinion is between May and September.

It's getting more and more expensive to visit in the van so maybe a fly drive will be slightly cheaper but no so enjoyable as being in the van.

Sonja

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Would it be possible to share some of your plans please?

D.

You can have as much info as you want matey:thumb:
We plan to leave the Uk end of April and be at Tromso sometime in early June to get to Svalbard.
Have a chat about it at Chester:thumb:

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
If it were me I would fly and take a smallish tent with me. Hire a car from the airport, don't stay in one place, book into a number of hotels and use the tent when you fancy. This would give you total freedom to travel. Then you have the best of both worlds, total freedom. Even for the more mature camper tents are great. :thumb:
Now all you have to do is convince the wife.

Thanks for the suggestion Buttons but its me that doesn't do tents:winky:.

D.

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Dave
One thing to bear in mind when going so late in the year will be daylight. There won't be much of it that late in the year. Another one - if you did watch the hairy bikers last night then most of the more spectacular roads that you saw will be closed.

We have been to Norway on numerous occasions and absolutely love it. I do think however it is best seen in all it's glory which in my opinion is between May and September.

It's getting more and more expensive to visit in the van so maybe a fly drive will be slightly cheaper but no so enjoyable as being in the van.

Sonja

Thanks for this Sonja, October was only considered because that is the month of J's ahemtieth birthday, August will probably be more do-able from a work/taking time off point of view.

D.

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
You can have as much info as you want matey:thumb:
We plan to leave the Uk end of April and be at Tromso sometime in early June to get to Svalbard.
Have a chat about it at Chester:thumb:

Thanks for that, wilkl definitely chat at Chester:thumb:.

D.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Not much help to the OP but we've been to Sweden (passing through) to get to Norway twice, once in a trailer tent with our boys aged 2 and 5 in the late '70's and again in '96 with a caravan, both trips of 5 weeks.

For some reason, probably based in the south of the UK, we found it easier going out Harwich to Gothenburg rather than direct to Norway from Newcastle with Fjord Line/Fred Olsen in those days. Those options are no longer available but Harwich/Esbjerg with a drive north to Hirtschals and across to the south of Norway or through Denmark across the bridges to Malmo is a longer way round. None of these are particularly cheap routes but Gothenburg north to Oslo and through Peer Gynt country, Gubrandsdalen, to the fjords is a wonderful route.

We drove to Esbjerg from the Hook of Holland to catch a ferry elsewhere a couple of years ago and that took us 10 hours, 95% motorway with 2 lengthy delays so Hirtschals will add 3 hours or more to the journey time.

Yes, 5 weeks and 2500 miles in 1978 in a wonderful country and according to the boys the best bit was "that camp site with the swings" Love it"! :shout:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
Any suggestions as to companies providing fly/drive holidays in Norway?

D.
Hi Dave it was some time ago and it was a firm called Norway Only.
We flew from Newcastle to Bergen and picked up the van a fixed roof PVC,at Bergen airport. We then overnighted in Bergen,on the quayside. The following day we set out,eventually to Oslo,we had a fortnight.
We headed to Voss camped on a site at the head of the fjoird following day. At Voss there is a train tour 'Norway in a Day'.We and then took a Ferry across the fjiord to Telemark,famous for the WW2 resistance(Heroes of Telemark) destroying the Germans Nuclear plant.
Over the Hardanger plateau there was still some snow in July! The van didn't have a fridge so I put a bottle of fruit juice underneath the van to chill overnight-it certainly did,it was solid in the morning.
On the plateau we camped at places called Skotjland and also in one called Geillo.
In Oslo we stayed at Bogstad which is a big international site in the lee of the ski jump.
The site was at the end of a tram route into the centre of Oslo. We went in to the city to visit the Kon Tiki,Viking ships and Fram(Nansens and Amundsens ship) musems.
Prices were high but now except for the city marginally less than here!
Eating out can be expensive out of town,not so bad,but choose wiseley.

Tip Varme polsner is a hot dog! and Smoking whilst driving is a no-no especially in built up areas,
Whatever you do enjoy it

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
We saw the Hairy Bikers last night and thought it was worth the trip for the buns alone !!!!
looks a lovely place...but for a couple of weeks must be better to fly drive:)

barry:Smile:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We saw the Hairy Bikers last night and thought it was worth the trip for the buns alone !!!!
looks a lovely place...but for a couple of weeks must be better to fly drive:)

barry:Smile:

Don't normally watch them but would have done if I'd known it was set in Norway. It's on Beeb 2 again Thursday evening for anyone who wants to catch up. :thumb:

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Forgot to tell you....

This year we will be travelling in Scandinavia second half June and first half July (plus or minus a week :ROFLMAO:)

We will stay in the southern parts this year

Paul and Ineke

Crwydryn

Free Member
Jan 5, 2012
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Compass 300
Exp
Car rental is very expensive in Norway.
Can i suggest flying to Sweden and then crossing the border?
There is a rental company called Rent a Wreck in Scandinavia and are very reasonable with rates.
You could fly to Gothenburg and then rent a car from R a W and drive to Norway,Oslo is only 3 hours away.
They also have places in Norway but the rental price is double.
Skyways fly from the UK and are reasonably priced.

It's very nice along the southern coast and the weather is much better than up North and on the same latitude as Aberdeen.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi Dave,

For the time you have available, fly/drive is the best option.

We found the ferries very expensive, with a sub 8 metre unit, yours would be slightly cheaper, but not a lot.

As said before, the days will be shorter at that time of year, but you will enjoy the country and the people.

If you take your unit, or hire one there, you will be required to join the camping organisation,"Camping Card Scandinavia" the official camping carnet. Currently costing about 140 crona's, purchased at your first camp site, that's if the hire company do not provide a free one as part of the deal, you could always ask!!

It provides some insurance, and is accepted in place of your passport.

Enoy your trip, which ever way you opt for:thumb:

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Its definitely looking like a fly/drive job and the drive will be a car I reckon (will look into rent a wreck). If we do go this year its more likely to be August but it might get put off till next year. Looked into renting a motorhome and its £2500 for eight days:Eeek:. Keep the info and suggestions coming please, its all good.

D.

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi Dave,

the "Camping Card Scandinavia" as referred to by Nomadic is changed per 2012 by the "Camping Key Europe"

Details can be found here

This card will also give you discounts on some ferries and other things as well

Paul and Ineke

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi Dave,

the "Camping Card Scandinavia" as referred to by Nomadic is changed per 2012 by the "Camping Key Europe"

Details can be found here

This card will also give you discounts on some ferries and other things as well

Paul and Ineke

Thanks Paul, maybe because I'm using an android tablet but that website is awful to navigate, will try on the laptop tomorrow.

D.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
Have a look at this

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Wjm6PFHv0[/ame] :thumb:

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Having looked into it a bit further a cruise is looking do-able (except I'm a rubbish sailor that gets seasick stepping over a puddle:helptitanic:) £500 per person late August for 8 days departing and returning Hull, doesn't look too bad.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back