gas tank, is this going to be more trouble than it`s worth? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Some may remember a previous thread about a underslung gas tank having been romoved from my MH between purchase and collection.

When I briefly looked under the MH before pourchase I saw what I think was a large round tank, similar to a gas bottle but larger and I `think` it had two steel straps holding it in place. Is this the normal way of fixing?

Originally they said they had to decomission it by capping it but it could be re-connected, but then they removed it completely. There is a `Alugas` filler in the side of the MH.

Having pondered on this and eventually made contact with the previous owner of the MH I decided to go back to them over this.

They originally said that they still had it and I could have it back if I wanted to collect it. I asked yesterday if the `fixings` were with it and they are now saying a) there are no fixings with it and b) it is full of gas.

I also asked if it would fit through the door of the MH and they say it will.

So, as it stands, it is there if I want to collect it, I would then have to pay to have it fitted and re-connected.

Is it worth it???

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Suggest you talk to the chap at Autogas 2000 in Thirsk - very helpful. He is the importer of the Alugas system and since you mentioned Alugas fitting, there is a chance it was installed by him or one of his agents.

Broken Link Removed

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Why did they have to decommision it, was it perhaps due for/failed a pressure test? They have to be retested every 10 years, and this applies to the bottle type tanks as well.

Otherwise I would tell them that as it was on there when you purchased it, it is part of what you paid for and so they should refit it, or refund the cost of doing so.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Why did they have to decommision it, was it perhaps due for/failed a pressure test? They have to be retested every 10 years, and this applies to the bottle type tanks as well.

Otherwise I would tell them that as it was on there when you purchased it, it is part of what you paid for and so they should refit it, or refund the cost of doing so.

They won`t really say, just using `safety reasons`, I will try and get them to do more, but for now just considering my options if they refuse.

The MH is only 5 years old, no idea how old the tank is though. If it was `dangerous` why keep it around the workshop full of gas?

Thanks

Steve

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The only unsafe thing I have heard of with these tanks is the fixings using steel bands can sometimes rust and drop the tank on the road.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
You purchased a van with a fixed gas tank, they did not tell you it was unsafe or would be removed. If it was unsafe it was up to them to make it safe, not remove it you paid for it they need to reinstall at their expence and ensure it is safe. End of story.
Our fixed tank is good for more than a month of having the fridge on 24/7 so it really comes into its own as we wild camp all the time and cannot be doing with lugging heavy gas bottles around. If they refuse to refit it I'd be looking at a refund of at least £700 or whatever it costs to get one fitted these days.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
I have spoken to Autogas as suggested, very helpful. Looking at nearly £400 to get it re-fitted.

Got to use an awful lot of gas to get that back.

The filler does say Autogas, not Alugas.

Thanks for the replies.

Steve

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
£400 to refit it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OMG if it is as you say it is that's ridiculous. You are talking about re seating it, and reconnecting it, a simple job. Sounds like they are talking about a complete remount esewhere.
I would take a punt on it myself, you could get it back and sell it on depending how much you wanted.

I would certainly be interested in a purchase if the money was right and depending on size, might even pay you with my own Gaslow bottle and filler.

Personally I wish I had gone the underslung route as opposed to the Gaslow route. :thumb:

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
When I had a VW converted to LPG it was not able to have the tank fitted under the van ,there was not enough clearance between the road surface and the tank.I wonder if this was the" safety reason ".

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi poppys .thats interesting as on the t2 we used to get them fitted right underneath on the chassis and on the t25 there was a special round tank that fitted in the spare wheel well under the front . what model and year was yours . i never fitted one on the t4or t5 as diesel sort of cancelled the idea . just being nosey .thats all.

S

stagman

Deleted User

I would agree and tend to think they had someone lined up for the kit . I don't think they would have carried out a pressure test as the tank is still full , and pretty sure the tank would have to be emptied first to carry out a test .:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
the only other reason for removing a tank other than those stated could be it was the wrong type of tank.
there are 2 types really vapour take off and liquid take off.
for a motorhomes cooking and heating you need a vapour take off tank.
most liquid take off tanks are like the ones used on cars for running the engine on and feed lpg in liquid form to the engine bay into an evaporator to then feed gas into the engine.

i dont know what effects having liquid lpg entering a motorhome regulator would cause but i imagine it wouldn't do it any good.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
£400 to refit it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OMG if it is as you say it is that's ridiculous. You are talking about re seating it, and reconnecting it, a simple job. Sounds like they are talking about a complete remount esewhere.
I would take a punt on it myself, you could get it back and sell it on depending how much you wanted.

I would certainly be interested in a purchase if the money was right and depending on size, might even pay you with my own Gaslow bottle and filler.

Personally I wish I had gone the underslung route as opposed to the Gaslow route. :thumb:

The previous owner used nothing but the tank during the 12 months he has the vehicle without any issues.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Some tanks were fitted in an unsafe way by a well known supplier by suspending them on the retaining straps. Mine was one of them.

Chris at Autogas2000 checked it out. The mounting frame was fitted to the floor of the motorhome and the tank was suspended from the straps this was an 85 litre tank. It was reported that another user had had his fall off when the straps corroded. Chris offered to do a free inspection.

Chris removed ours and fitted the mounting cradle on brackets to the chassis, The tank was then mounted on the frame and now the straps take no weight but just hold the tank in place. The weight is carried by the carrier and brackets on the chassis.

It cost us about what was quoted to have our tank refitted properly. The whole lot is then coated with underseal to prevent stone chip damage and rusting. As a result of this refitting our tank is now more than 200cm from the ground which is the minimum safe distance.

Chris was on the panel that have drawn up the new National Caravan Council LPG tank fitting guidelines.

I would get Chris to refit your tank.

John

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Some tanks were fitted in an unsafe way by a well known supplier by suspending them on the retaining straps. Mine was one of them.

Chris at Autogas2000 checked it out. The mounting frame was fitted to the floor of the motorhome and the tank was suspended from the straps this was an 85 litre tank. It was reported that another user had had his fall off when the straps corroded. Chris offered to do a free inspection.

Chris removed ours and fitted the mounting cradle on brackets to the chassis, The tank was then mounted on the frame and now the straps take no weight but just hold the tank in place. The weight is carried by the carrier and brackets on the chassis.

It cost us about what was quoted to have our tank refitted properly. The whole lot is then coated with underseal to prevent stone chip damage and rusting. As a result of this refitting our tank is now more than 200cm from the ground which is the minimum safe distance.

Chris was on the panel that have drawn up the new National Caravan Council LPG tank fitting guidelines.

I would get Chris to refit your tank.

John

I think this informative post probably holds your answer.

you mentioned yours being held on straps.

If its done for £400, you have to consider how mucha couple of gaslow's would be around a similar ammount.
Depends how much the guy wants for his tank I suppose to what you think is acceptable cost wise.

As said previously, knowing then what I know now, I would of fitted an underslung tank as opposed to gaslow but only because in the depths of winter, high in the mountains I need more than a couple of 11kg Gaslow bottles, if your not going to, then get yourself a couple or even one refillable.

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
hi vwalan, I had my 71 Bay Westy converted by a company based in Chester that advertises in the VW mags.My tank was mounted under the R&R seat because as stated safety reasons.

autogas 2000

Free Member
Jun 5, 2010
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
LMC
I have spoken to Autogas as suggested, very helpful. Looking at nearly £400 to get it re-fitted.

Got to use an awful lot of gas to get that back.

The filler does say Autogas, not Alugas.

Thanks for the replies.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Just to clarify the above for all reading this thread, this was a price to include a new tank , mounting and fitting as at the time of your call we did not know much about the tank that was removed and if it was serviceable for refit etc.
Look forward to the digital pictures coming through regarding your tank though as this may help me identify your tank and fittings etc and like I said we may be able to reuse your tank which then makes it a cheaper cost effective addition to your van.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards all

Chris Wise
Autogas 2000 Ltd

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Hi Steve,

Just to clarify the above for all reading this thread, this was a price to include a new tank , mounting and fitting as at the time of your call we did not know much about the tank that was removed and if it was serviceable for refit etc.
Look forward to the digital pictures coming through regarding your tank though as this may help me identify your tank and fittings etc and like I said we may be able to reuse your tank which then makes it a cheaper cost effective addition to your van.

Regards all

Chris Wise
Autogas 2000 Ltd

Now all of a sudden, you have gone from expensive to Im nearly coming over. What size tank was it please for that money?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
going back to the use aspect

Going back to the use aspect of LPG (I presume you mean LPG when you say auto gas).. I have like most RV's an LPG tank fitted, we have no trouble filling it in the UK or Europe, in fact the pumps are easier to use in Europe than the UK...

I have my heating set to come in above freezing all the time and through the winter December to last week I used a quarter of tank .. £8 worth of LPG... When we use it, we have the fridge/freezer running on it plus our water heater and the cooker plus the heating. Have found it works well and does what it says on the tin.. it is a lot easier than lugging gas bottles.. I remember those day long ago.

Bob

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi Steve,

Regards all

Chris Wise
Autogas 2000 Ltd

Thanks Chris, sorry, must have missunderstood.

I have asked for photos and have also asked them to consider re-fitting the tank, we will see.

Steve

autogas 2000

Free Member
Jun 5, 2010
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
LMC
Now all of a sudden, you have gone from expensive to Im nearly coming over. What size tank was it please for that money?

Hi there Haganap,

Dont forget this was a ball part figure over the telephone without seeing the work and to refit using new tank , labour VAT and comsumables. I am under the impression that the fill point hose brackets frame and fixing points are all present.

You are more than welcome to come over to see us and I will be at the shows as normal this year so please pop in to say hello. Work on a price of £650-£700 for a new tank fitted finished painted with stone gaurd all pipe work new regulator documentation , lpg and last but not least the dreaded VAT!

I can supply in a kit form version if you fancy fitting yourself and even have specific brackets for certain OEM applications if needed.

Sorry its not the news you wanted to hear but like i have said your more than welcome to pop in if passing.

Regards

Chris

autogas 2000

Free Member
Jun 5, 2010
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
LMC
Thanks Chris, sorry, must have missunderstood.

I have asked for photos and have also asked them to consider re-fitting the tank, we will see.

Steve

Dont worry Steve, like I said on the telephone it is quite possible it will be an easy fix for your van so yes when your get the pics please let me know.

I can understand the dealer removing the tank at the time but this should have been done really before the sale to you rather than afterwards which I think is a bit hard on the buyer. The problem here is that supplying dealers dont know enough about the LPG tanks and the fittings and although close, the new Codes Of Practise for fitting LPG tanks to motorhomes that is due to go final this year is still only draft. If the dealer sells a van with a tank that is later found to be not right for some reason then they will end up with the bill of putting it right if found early enough, so to protect themselves they remove the tank before sale except in your case.
Once some guide lines are in place (COP) I think it will be different as it will be easier for dealers (?) to identify tanks and fittings but I tend to field a number of calls each day on the subject but this is where digital pictures really help as we can get an idea of the setup and condition of tanks over an email as opposed to having to travel any distance. not ideal but certainly easy for a number of cases.

Hope this helps others on this matter and look forward to hearing from you.

regards

Chris Wise
Autogas 2000 Ltd

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back