Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
We are Off to Spain and Portugal end of may for 6 weeks,had intended using Brittany ferries to Santander,but having priced it up it would cost just shy of £1300.So think I will use tunnel and travel down through France taking everything into account should be about £500 cheaper.Any opinions?

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
We travelled from Dover to Dunkirk on 26 Feb with DFDS. I really don't like that crossing and hope not to do it again. I used to like going with Sea France to Calais but, obviously, that's no longer possible. We will either go the P&O or just do the tunnel, which would probably be the best way for us since we wouldn't need to leave Ellie, our dog.

We travelled x miles (1500?) down to Marjal, near Alicante, in 4 and a half days, driving from 9-4.30 ish each day, stopping frequently for tea and a leg stretch.

I wouldn't be spending that much going to Santander but that is an individual choice. Have a lovely time. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

scrapjack

Free Member
Jun 22, 2011
Andover, Hants.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
7/8 years
Ferry or tunnel?

We have been just about all possible routes but would probably take the DFDS (Dover - Dunkirk) route again next. Their ships are very good and their pricing is extremely competitive. It is often forgotten that while onboard Brittany Ferries meals are an additional burden, and not cheap. Once the other side, assuming you decide to depart from Dover, I would recommend the Aire in Wissant just along the coast from Calais if you travel late in the evening. Additionally, you will need to give some thought to the route down. Don't exclude the French motorways but they are expensive and I would always, for example, travel south via Rouen rather than Paris.
We're not long back from Spain having driven down from Dover (tunnel) but returned using Brittany Ferries. We booked a single out and then organised the return while there having decided I didn't fancy the drive back. At least this way all our options were always open.
Whatever route you choose enjoy. Scrapjack:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
We've always been a fan of euro tunnel but £38 return on the ferry's turned my head, stay off the toll roads and take your time. See France,use the aires and enjoy the journey :thumb:

Cheers. Nige

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I always used the Channel Tunnel. Except once I used a ferry and NEVER again. Tunnel is much better in my view....

I did look at the ferry down to Santander for my winter trip to Spain but it worked out cheaper to use the channel and drive. Also get to see some of France as well.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
if you want ease and speed then the tunnel wins hands down if you want cheap and a bit slower then ferry.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Must admit we are tunnel fans here, that's not people who support tunnels, nor are we fans within a tunnel...

OK back to the question. We have used the tunnel with car, trailer and caravan (not MH yet) and we do like it's efficiency, fast, on time, miss one then there's another 30mins later etc, what a pleasure. We have perfected BBQ'ing food the night before and then eating it on the tunnel the next morning, the train is usually filled with smoked chicken aroma. We usually get a return for €160ish although we always travel through the night to avoid high costs and traffic

I once went on a ferry thing, once was enough:Smile:

giddy1515

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
kidlington
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt hi top
Exp
Tesco points

Do you have a tesco card? you can exchange tesco points for money off vouchers for a number of Ferry companies reducing the cost significantly:Smile:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Tunnel for us everytime have'nt used the ferry since the first time we used the tunnel.

Sep 28, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA 765
Exp
Since 2006
Tunnel for us. We have used Ferries over the years, but now would only use the tunnel.
Enjoy your trip.

Cam.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Tunnel for me...

No screaming kids charging up and down...

No arguing couples...

No vomiting...

No Man Utd fans...

Listen to your own music...

Eat your own pork pies (with Branston of course)...

Use your own loo if needed...

Fast, clean and efficient...

Euro Tunnel Rools OK? :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
hdvrod

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Thanks everybody for your input,much appreciated! We used the tunnel a couple of times and think the speed and convenience outweigh the additional cost of the cross channel ferries.Plan to travel down through France avoiding tolls,time is not an issue as we are in no hurry.Last year we travelled up to calais from south of France and set the sat nav to avoid tolls,so glad we did some some great scenery we would have otherwise missed,additionally I found in France the cost of tolls is about the same as I would spend on fuel! The main Gist of my post though was using the Santander Ferry as opposed to driving down through France,which we have done numerous times and frankly are a bid fed up of.But I think the £500 saving is the deciding factor.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks everybody for your input,much appreciated! We used the tunnel a couple of times and think the speed and convenience outweigh the additional cost of the cross channel ferries.Plan to travel down through France avoiding tolls,time is not an issue as we are in no hurry.Last year we travelled up to calais from south of France and set the sat nav to avoid tolls,so glad we did some some great scenery we would have otherwise missed,additionally I found in France the cost of tolls is about the same as I would spend on fuel! The main Gist of my post though was using the Santander Ferry as opposed to driving down through France,which we have done numerous times and frankly are a bid fed up of.But I think the £500 saving is the deciding factor.

Britanny Ferries are really charging a very high price for crossing directly to Spain. We sailed through the Bay of Biscay once with the caravan, when P&O were running a route to Bilboa. It was OK and it did save time, which was what we needed back then. But the crossing was not that comfortable, even though we had fancy outside upgraded cabins. Our young sons enjoyed it though.:Blush:

I'd be in no hurry to make the journey again. Catch some rough weather when you've paid all that money - no, I think I'd stick to the tunnel and drive down.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I'd be in no hurry to make the journey again. Catch some rough weather when you've paid all that money - no, I think I'd stick to the tunnel and drive down.

Rough weather would be the only thing that might persuade me to go by ferry. A bit of excitement :Doh::ROFLMAO:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
We are Off to Spain and Portugal end of may for 6 weeks,had intended using Brittany ferries to Santander,but having priced it up it would cost just shy of £1300.So think I will use tunnel and travel down through France taking everything into account should be about £500 cheaper.Any opinions?

If I lived in Devon, I'd go Plymouth -> Roscoff, and save myself a whole load of pointless driving up to Dover and back down through France.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am a big fan of the ferry to Santander. It is more expensive than driving through France but with fuel prices the way they are the gap is narrowing. It's a whole lot more relaxing as well. Travelling while you are eating , drinking and sleeping is my kind of travel.We always go on the Pont Aven and go for a posh cabin.

We are going on the 3rd April for a week in Northern Spain in a car. All accommodation booked through Brittany Ferries who then discount the cost of the ferry quite substantially. 2 adults, 2 kids, apartment for 7 nights and Commodore cabin both ways just under £1200.

If I had 6 weeks though I would probably drive down and get the ferry back.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Have to say that we love the speed and ease of the tunnel. We have just returned from the Alicante area and on our return journey we used toll roads all the way back to Calais (after staying in the sun until the last minute). Our toll costs were 150 euro for the entire journey. Our route was Benidorm - Zarragaosa - Pamplona - San Sebastian - Bordeaux - Rouen - Calais. We needed to return in two days and the drive for me was very easy and stress free on the motorways. Time aprox 22 hours of driving.
::bigsmile:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
It looks like the tunnel is the best way to go!
I wish we had one in the south west, down here in Zummerset we have to drive all the way accross to go over to go all the way down!:cry:
We want to cross Le manche in May - June .
It looks like LD Lines for us-:thumb:

OP
OP
hdvrod

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
If I lived in Devon, I'd go Plymouth -> Roscoff, and save myself a whole load of pointless driving up to Dover and back down through France.
Take your point,but we have to travel up to St Albans first for grandsons birthday so will be departing from there,was a factor in deciding against ferry,were going to go Portsmouth Santander and back Plymouth,but the cost is extortionate. Possibly because the height and length of outfit.

OP
OP
hdvrod

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
I am a big fan of the ferry to Santander. It is more expensive than driving through France but with fuel prices the way they are the gap is narrowing. It's a whole lot more relaxing as well. Travelling while you are eating , drinking and sleeping is my kind of travel.We always go on the Pont Aven and go for a posh cabin.

We are going on the 3rd April for a week in Northern Spain in a car. All accommodation booked through Brittany Ferries who then discount the cost of the ferry quite substantially. 2 adults, 2 kids, apartment for 7 nights and Commodore cabin both ways just under £1200.

If I had 6 weeks though I would probably drive down and get the ferry back.
Funny you should mention the Commodore cabins,we took wives parents couple of years back put them in the Commodore cabin and we had an ordinary one,the whole crossing was really rough and we were sick as dogs,would have been really peeved if we had paid all that money only to spend the crossing looking down a very expensive toilet.(PS the old folks were absolutely fine!)

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Take your point,but we have to travel up to St Albans first for grandsons birthday so will be departing from there,was a factor in deciding against ferry,were going to go Portsmouth Santander and back Plymouth,but the cost is extortionate. Possibly because the height and length of outfit.

So why not go Portsmouth -> Cherbourg or Le Havre. Some of the best drives South through France from that region. Also makes your return trip easier to get back to Devonshireland.

Over the years I reckon I've done all the Channel crossings - Ramgate-Ostend; Dover/Folkestone-Calais/Boulogne; Newhaven-Dieppe; Portsmouth-Le Havre/Cherbourg; Poole-Cherbourg and finally Plymouth=Roscoff. And for ease of finding the port (right off the end of the M275), its smallness and simplicity, and now its upgrading of facilities, I find Portsmouth hard to beat. Easy-peasy from St Albans - west side of M25 (no Dartford tolls or roadworks) and either M3 or A3(my choice) straight down to Pompey.....:thumb:

I calls it thinking outside the box.....:Smile:

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
tunnel versus ferry.

Hi we are off on portsmouth - santander ferry this Sunday, booked using tesco points converted to the then air miles, one way with 28ft motorhome upgraded cabin and two adults cost us in cash £200 we will meander back through spain/france to Calais late June early July.
We have also used tesco points for return ferry to Holland with Stena which is great.
regards

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Tunnel for me...

No screaming kids charging up and down...

No arguing couples...

No vomiting...

No Man Utd fans...

Listen to your own music...

Eat your own pork pies (with Branston of course)...

[HI]Use your own loo if needed...[/HI]

Fast, clean and efficient...

Euro Tunnel Rools OK? :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

The tunnel rules used to say that you couldn't use your own loo as it was a 'fire risk' - curry the night before perhaps :Eeek:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
tunnel for us

It is the tunnel for us.. having Ezzie with us is the reason.. I do not have to worry about her being on her own in a strange environment .. she does wonder why the RV rocks and nothing is moving outside the windows....

It is fast and easy to use... but yes can be expensive.. for our 45' RV and trailer & dog in June £303.00 return.

Bob

OP
OP
hdvrod

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
So why not go Portsmouth -> Cherbourg or Le Havre. Some of the best drives South through France from that region. Also makes your return trip easier to get back to Devonshireland.

Over the years I reckon I've done all the Channel crossings - Ramgate-Ostend; Dover/Folkestone-Calais/Boulogne; Newhaven-Dieppe; Portsmouth-Le Havre/Cherbourg; Poole-Cherbourg and finally Plymouth=Roscoff. And for ease of finding the port (right off the end of the M275), its smallness and simplicity, and now its upgrading of facilities, I find Portsmouth hard to beat. Easy-peasy from St Albans - west side of M25 (no Dartford tolls or roadworks) and either M3 or A3(my choice) straight down to Pompey.....:thumb:

I calls it thinking outside the box.....:Smile:
We looked at that,but when we went through the online booking service we couldn't get past the second page,no obvious reason why, I thought was maybe because of the height length of rig,10.5 feet high 36 feet long including trailer was too much,maybe you can advise me differently?

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Used the tunnel for the first time today. We will never use a ferry again!!!

So easy and it seems like you are getting off 2 minutes after getting on. :thumb:

OP
OP
hdvrod

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
We looked at that,but when we went through the online booking service we couldn't get past the second page,no obvious reason why, I thought was maybe because of the height length of rig,10.5 feet high 36 feet long including trailer was too much,maybe you can advise me differently?
Sorted but too dear £600,might as well use the tunnel £300.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
We used the Tunnel for the first time last year and loved it.

It still tickles me how easy it is.

Just to drive on, sit in your van for a few minutes, and then drive off in France.

If you are coming from the North of England, as we were, might I recommend overnighting in the service station just before the Tunnel. It is less than 5 minutes away. It cost us £10 for the night and we felt safe, got a chance to freshen up before an early start, and even had supper and breakfast. It broke up the journey nicely.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We used the Tunnel for the first time last year and loved it.

It still tickles me how easy it is.

Just to drive on, sit in your van for a few minutes, and then drive off in France.

If you are coming from the North of England, as we were, might I recommend overnighting in the service station just before the Tunnel. It is less than 5 minutes away. It cost us £10 for the night and we felt safe, got a chance to freshen up before an early start, and even had supper and breakfast. It broke up the journey nicely.

Understand this is now £20 per night.:Eeek:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Theres a CC site a couple of miles from the tunnel I think its called Blackmore. They have ferry pitches so you can leave early. We stayed there a few weeks back to catch an early tunnel crossing £11.00 for the night, so cheaper than the services and full facilities.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back