LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
That was a question that a customer asked me at the Shepton Mallet show. I was explaining about battery charging systems and the lady I was talking to asked which van I had. I told her that I had a Winniebago. She asked the question

"why are RV's better?"

I tried to answer honestly, that there are advantages and disadvantages on both American and European vans. Still the question stayed with me.

So, as most of the regular posters on Motorhome fun own RV's and it has built a reputation as a RV web site I thought that I would ask the question here rather on motorhome facts which is a broader church

Why are RV's better?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
John Is Right.More Bang for your Bucks.

Seems the Americans have been doing this in style for a long time and like their creature comforts.

Even my Classic has all these fitted as standard. Seems only now the Europeans are starting to catch up, at a price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
MotorhomeFun Members who own European motorhomes outnumber the RV owners here 20 to 1. But I think you are right to ask here because Motorhomefacts has very few RV members and the RV owning members here do seem to like a good chat.

But to your question "Why are RV's Better?"

The question presupposes that RV's are better, but at what? Getting stuck in country lanes? Doing 8 miles to the gallon? Severely restricting the places you can visit.

Drop the "Why" and you have a better question already, but it is still incomplete. Better at what?:Smile:

OP
OP
eddie

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi Jim, The conversation that I had was just after us chatting swopping notes about getting stuck down lanes with trailers on and the ensuing fun that this causes:Blush:

I have tried to go back to European vans several times, but personally I just miss the space and the gadgets that come as standard.

Frankly, if everyone bought RV's I would be out of business really as everything is one them.

My mate sold a 36' Georgie boy and bought a S820 Hymer and then added Air Conditioning, Ice maker, generator,extra batteries, decent charging system, outside 12 volt points/220 Volt AC points/ Gas BBQ point and waterproof speakers. Then he set about putting an additional TV in the bedroom, Air assisted suspension.....Basically all the things that he has on his previous van that cost him less money! Don't even start about automatic, cruise control, leveliing jacks etc

Over to the European owners, tell us why were wrong:Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Size is the main advantage and at the same time a major disadvantage. Living in a motorhome with three kids in winter, you need an RV, but proper touring and exploring in an RV is not so practical.

I know that RVs can go places that many think they can't, but, and its a big but, they can't go to a lot of places. So if you want to dos around in a campsite for months on end an RV is great, out on the byeways they are not so. Yes you can tour, but the planning and stress is too much for some, which is why there are so many low mileage RVs on the market.

As for the gadgets, well the Europeans are catching up, I looked at a dethleffs at Shepton and the finish and quality and standard fittings would put most sub £150,000 RVs to shame. The RV build might be substantial, but generally the quality is dirt poor and a bit too "Laura Ashley" for me.

Presently I would not swop my RV for a European, but that is only because it suits my present circumstances. When the kids are gone and we want to do some serious touring then I wonder if we will choose to do it in an RV. I doubt it.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Size is the main advantage and at the same time a major disadvantage. Living in a motorhome with three kids in winter, you need an RV, but proper touring and exploring in an RV is not so practical.

I know that RVs can go places that many think they can't, but, and its a big but, they can't go to a lot of places. So if you want to dos around in a campsite for months on end an RV is great, out on the byeways they are not so. Yes you can tour, but the planning and stress is too much for some, which is why there are so many low mileage RVs on the market.

As for the gadgets, well the Europeans are catching up, I looked at a dethleffs at Shepton and the finish and quality and standard fittings would put most sub £150,000 RVs to shame. The RV build might be substantial, but generally the quality is dirt poor and a bit to "Laura Ashley" for me.

Presently I would not swop my RV for a European, but that is only because it suits my present circumstances. When the kids are gone and we want to do some serious touring then I wonder if we will choose to do it in an RV. I doubt it.

A good answer:thumb::thumb:

I love the 'idea' of owning one, but would find the practicalities a nightmare and an incumbrance. Crikey we sometimes feel our 6.3 metre A class Dethleffs is pushing the limits a bit ::bigsmile:

Horses for courses though, innit?

John

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This is a similar question to the one we are often asked about which genealogy software is best. The answer I always give is that the best for you is the one which most closely meets your requirements.

Jill and I went for a motorhome over a caravan because neither of us has ever fancied towing. We also wanted one which was both large enough for the two of us but comfortable to drive and could be parked up at home conveniently.

After looking at a lot of vans we came across the Autoquest 100 and it has been ideal for what we want.

When we were at Hope in October ours was the smallest of the MHFun vans by a long chalk - and over the wall there were some even smaller. The thing that struck me then was that such a set of options to choose from is great because it probably means that as wide a range of people as possible is able to have the fun they want.

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
All very good answers, there are two things to consider, quality and value for money, IMO the yanks win hands down on value and arguably the Germans win on quality, if I could afford it I'd buy a German RV ..
Size is a different issue, whether yankee or European, one size will never fit all, it's as said before, horses for courses and it will always be a compromise .. how often I wish I had a nice compact van conversion to go exploring, then later when it's pouring with rain and stuck indoors I'm so glad I don't.. maybe the answer is to have camper van toad with the RV. :roflmto:

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
i don't think mpg comes into it, for me we took up motorhoming when the kids were virtually off our hands if they were still young i would have considered an rv.:Smile:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
I personally think that the European / British motor home or caravans are built to cater for the two weeks per year annual holiday user.

Because they have to remain light they are very flimsy built which also causes so may leaks.

Most British caravanners accept this a which why they call them colanders.

The furniture is also flimsy and sags after a year or two's use.:Sad:

American RV's on the other hand because of their size and weight are fitted with 'proper' household furniture and fittings which is idea for 24/7 full timing use :Smile:

Yes MPG is heavy if you drive your RV as you do a car but I see our RV as a base that I can move when ever I wish to where ever I want.

Last edited:
N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
We'd love an RV but... we did 6k miles in our Bessie last year, the thought of tripling or quadrupling fuel costs is enough to keep an RV as a dream....

...and the thought of parking a 34 footer in Sainsbury's...:Eeek:

U

ukrv

Deleted User
You dont park your RV in Sainsburys - you go on your motorised cooler box

Link Removed

And, dont complain it is too uncomfortable as you can have a seat too

Link Removed

Of course, someone (probably a girl) will complain that you can only fit beer in there - but they'd be wrong

Link Removed

We saw a fair few of these on our US travels - I did mean to buy one just to see the stares as you drive it around a UK campsite.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Paul

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We'd love an RV but... we did 6k miles in our Bessie last year, the thought of tripling or quadrupling fuel costs is enough to keep an RV as a dream....

...and the thought of parking a 34 footer in Sainsbury's...:Eeek:

We have done 10,000 miles in the last 8 months. At 8 to the gallon I haven't the courage to work out the fuel cost. We are 35 foot long towing a trailer which is another 9 feet. Plenty of that has been on B roads and we always pop into sainsburys and tescos in ours, though normally late at night when the car parks are quiet.::bigsmile:

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Sounds good to me Jim but there's two problems,,,

1. Head of domestic trivia is dead against it (I get enough 'help' (earache) parking the 6m :cry:)

2. I wouldn't be able to see where I'm going... tears from watching fuel gauge:ROFLMAO:

but... I'd still love one:winky:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I dont think RVs are better per-say Iv'e had both European and American, there are +'s and -.s for both, What I can say without fear of contradiction is the RV puts a much bigger grin on yer face when driving ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
I think its all about Boy's and their Toys.
Geo

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I dont think RVs are better per-say Iv'e had both European and American, there are +'s and -.s for both, What I can say without fear of contradiction is the RV puts a much bigger grin on yer face when driving ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
I think its all about Boy's and their Toys.
Geo

Can't imagine why Geo?

Just love driving something a bit unique.

Link Removed

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I was looking for a giant smilleLink Removed for my post I love this one steve ,it ought to be on the pennant, shall we have a poll:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I was looking for a giant smilleLink Removed for my post I love this one steve ,it ought to be on the pennant, shall we have a poll:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

LETS HAVE A POLL ON WHETHER WE SHALL HAVE A POLL.

I can see those knickers making a reappearance.:Eeek:

2escapees

Deleted User
I personally think that the European / British motor home or caravans are built to cater for the two weeks per year annual holiday user.

Because they have to remain light they are very flimsy built which also causes so may leaks.

As the owner of an excellent European Class A I think Mick & Pat are talking through their exhaust pipe when they make statements like this. We have travelled for many months a year over the last 5 years in Europe, North Africa and Asia and think those you are prejudiced in favour of one type of vehicle should consider their comments carefully!

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?

As the owner of an excellent European Class A I think Mick & Pat are talking through their exhaust pipe when they make statements like this. We have travelled for many months a year over the last 5 years in Europe, North Africa and Asia and think those you are prejudiced in favour of one type of vehicle should consider their comments carefully!

Well I can say that I'm not prejudiced in any way whatsoever.:RollEyes:

RV'S RULE.Link RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed

SORRY GUYS I COULDN'T RESIST THAT.

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Having had both I'm staying Neutral

RV's RULE :ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Boils down to really what you want out of a holiday vehicle on wheels.

I had some great years touring all over the UK and Europe with my caravan and 4 x 4 but now would never go back.

I needed more space and Euro vans didn't have it (well not as much as i needed) so got the RV and never looked back.

To be honest though there are days when I fancy a euro van that I could wild camp in relatively easily where an RV cant.

Euro vans fills up with fuel easier and can dump easier and can fit on most campsite where RV hit size and weight restrictions.

But I am now used to my RV and thrilled with what i have got.

So in my book it's what you feel happy with and what you expectation of a holiday are.

Be it caravan, euro motorhome, 5th wheel or RV they all have there good and bad points and people will choose what they feel happiest with.

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
Boils down to really what you want out of a holiday vehicle on wheels.

I had some great years touring all over the UK and Europe with my caravan and 4 x 4 but now would never go back.

I needed more space and Euro vans didn't have it (well not as much as i needed) so got the RV and never looked back.

To be honest though there are days when I fancy a euro van that I could wild camp in relatively easily where an RV cant.

Euro vans fills up with fuel easier and can dump easier and can fit on most campsite where RV hit size and weight restrictions.

But I am now used to my RV and thrilled with what i have got.

So in my book it's what you feel happy with and what you expectation of a holiday are.

Be it caravan, euro motorhome, 5th wheel or RV they all have there good and bad points and people will choose what they feel happiest with.

well said i reckon that about sums it up:thumb:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
The term "American RV" is far too broad a term to generalise the way folks do here. Putting aside the fact that, in the US, an "RV" can be a motorhome (Class A, B or C), a truck camper, a tent trailer, a travel trailer, a 5th wheel trailer, a toy hauler, etc) ...

For any given "class" of RV, many American manufacturers make a wide range of models, different not just in size, but quality and price. Their "entry level" models will often be spartan and maybe even flimsily built. But they're just fine for most people who want to go RVing, and either don't have the money or don't want/need to spend the money for a high end model.

A simple example might be Fleetwood, once acclaimed to be the largest RV manufacturer here. They have entry level, mid range and high end models that are very different in terms of amenities and quality. Even the low end ones that have all the amenities won't have the quality, fit and finish of their high end American Coach line.

Then we have the manufacturers who only build low-end (entry level) models. I cringe when I see someone buying one of these in good faith, are proud of their new possession, and get told "you bought a piece of junk". For sure they might not stand up to the rigours of fulltiming, but they'll be quite adequate for the family who make shorter weekend trips or spend their 2 weeks holiday in them.

One of the members here owned several Marathon Prevost bus conversions (Marathon's products cost well over $1M and many cost in excess of $2M). After selling his last Prevost, he bought a European model which I believe was Mercedes. He told me that the Mercedes was every bit as good as the Marathons he'd previously owned.

So, I think Jim's suggestion of dropping the "why" from the subject line is very appropriate.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
The term "American RV" is far too broad a term to generalise the way folks do here. Putting aside the fact that, in the US, an "RV" can be a motorhome (Class A, B or C), a truck camper, a tent trailer, a travel trailer, a 5th wheel trailer, a toy hauler, etc) ...

I have posted that very fact on the forums more times than I care to remember Tom in a vain attempt to get people to realise that even a VW camper van, a home built conversion or an A calss Hymer is, infact (technically speaking) an RV :winky:
:roflmto:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Phew! Thanks Linda. I was half expecting folks here to jump on my post (maybe some will anyway).

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
I hope that we do not get into the RV Versus Euro debate on this forum, please guys remember that RVs are Recreational Vehicles and I think we all have one of those (or are looking for one :winky:) The debate leads nowhere generally except to create little cliques (and they should be left to another forum in my opinion), however to add my answer, I do not think RVs are better than Euro MH's as they each have a target audience, As has been said "each to their own" and thankfully we are able to have the choice, otherwise we would all own the same RV :roflmto:
Graham brought up the usual argument regarding RV fuel consumption, which while it is valid consideration, is not in my opinion the be all and end all of the points which add up to us making the purchase of choice.
Just to use Grahams mileage figures, let us look at relative costs:
Euro MH 6000 miles @ 25 MPG will use £1154 worth of diesel @ £1.06/ litre
ARV 6000 miles @ 15 MPG will use £1924 worth of diesel @ £1.06/ litre
This makes a difference of £770 in favour of a European MH for the years motorhoming or about £0.13 pence per mile difference. Of course some Euro MH's can get more MPG and many RVs can get less which will widen the gap further, so this comparison will need to be adjusted to compensate for the actual MPG figures for the particular vehicle being considered, however, fuel consumption alone is not the major decision making factor to us when considering replacing our coach.
Taking these figures into the equation the fuel consumption is not so important in my view, many other factors have a much bigger impact upon the decision.
I hope this helps

Keith

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back