Charging Leisure Batteries (1 Viewer)

combi

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
I will be collecting the motorhome from its winter storage at the weekend and I intend to charge the leisure batteries with my smart charger which is supposed to give a good maintenance charge.

My question is that as my van has a solar panel what is the best way to charge - should I connect the charger to one battery at a time or should I disconnect the batteries and charge individually? If I do this what happens to any charge that the solar panel generates.

I try to read all the posts re leisure batteries but it all goes over my head!!

Many thanks

cakeboy

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
why?

Can you not just plug it in to your electiricity at home?

How long a journey are you going on?

OP
OP
C

combi

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
Thanks for the reply.

The Smart Charger is supposed to carry out a desulphation charge and I thought it would be a good idea as they haven't been used for a while.

cakeboy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Are you saying you have two leisure batteries connected together.

So should you treat them as one ...or two ?

barry

OP
OP
C

combi

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
There are two batteries and I assume that they are connected (the electrics are a complete mystery to me).

Instructions for the charger say only charge one battery at a time. My main concern is what happens to the electricity generated by the solar panel. Should I wait until dark!!

Thanks

cakeboy

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
There are two batteries and I assume that they are connected (the electrics are a complete mystery to me).

Instructions for the charger say only charge one battery at a time. My main concern is what happens to the electricity generated by the solar panel. Should I wait until dark!!

Thanks

cakeboy

Surely if you have a solar panel the leisure batteries should have been kept charged while layed up.

I would just hook-up to the mains when you get it home for 24 hours or so.

It is more likely to be the starter battery which will be low but this also should be charged by your on board charger.

Brian

OP
OP
C

combi

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
Thanks for the reply.

The motorhome has been stored undercover, I have had the vehicle battery at home connected to the smart charger.

cakeboy

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thanks for the reply.

The motorhome has been stored undercover, I have had the vehicle battery at home connected to the smart charger.

cakeboy

Ah right so starter battery is ok then, as said I would just hook-up to recharge the leisure batteries.

Having said that I would put a tester on them before to check voltage charging because if they have disscharged much below 10.5 v they are probably US.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If it has been stored out of doors and your batteries are not fully charged then you have a problem. We have been using our van on and off all winter and batteries are fully charged. Do check that your 4 stage charge can charge the type of batteries you have they are designed for lead/acid and not in most cases Gel or sealed batteries. might vary from charger to charge so do be sure. Abattery will only sulphate if left in a discharged state, if you have not used it but solar on all the time then unless you have a naff (slang for knackered) battery then they will be fully charged and fine.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
get it home.and plug in the van to an external point letting your internal charger do the work......leave it for a couple of days and see how things are.......this should top up the leisure batteries...and by then the solar panels should be topping things up...and if you have been looking after your vehicle battery all could be well.

This is the simplest thing to do if you do not have a meter or know how to use one...Or pop into maplins and buy a cheap one....then visit your local friendly battery shop and ask him to show you how to test your battery.

You can then test all the batteries on the van....which by then may be ok.

barry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back