Strapping doors with belts (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Whats the point of straping the doors with seat belts the only person your kidding is yourself you dont secure your house with a belt or chains going every were
Paul:shout:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
When camping security is not that possible.

We leave god know how many hundred of pound worth of stuff in awnings and canopies alone.

I have even sen awning locks on sale:Doh:

I think with the door thing it makes people feel a little more secure physically rather than any financial reasons

Last edited:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Whats the point of straping the doors with seat belts the only person your kidding is yourself you dont secure your house with a belt or chains going every were

I think that the only time you would use straps of any kind, is at night when you are sleeping. I use ratchet straps when I am feeling insecure on an Aire knowing that all the banging will disturb me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Sounds like a Major Fire Hazard to me.:Eeek:.

Anything that impedes the means of escape in an emergency can, in my opinion, cost lives.

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Waste of time

Hi Guy's,
it is a waste of time putting a strap across the doors as the baddies remove your quarter light rubber quietly (probably using a Stanley knife) and then they reach in and cut the ratchet strap!!!:Eeek:
If you are going to use this method you need to chain the doors together:thumb:
Fit some sort of bracket to the door (not the plastic door pull) which lets you pad lock the chain to it.
But it would be an hindrance in an emergency evacuation as you would first need to unlock the pad lock before opening the door:cry:
I have this fitted to my m/h but I do not use it all the time:ROFLMAO:

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I would settle for a big dog everytime!:thumb:
I don't even lock the door!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Is this big enough:winky::roflmto:

(Bruno with scotjimlands daughter)

Link Removed

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Most European vans are really easy to get into without a key!!!. Putting a chain between the doors is a great deterrent to the thief that looks in and sees that even if he smashes a window he still might have to struggle to effect entry. However in my opinion this should only be done when you are leaving the vehicle unattended. I cannot recommend that you lock your self in by using this method, for the obvious risk that you may not be able to get out in any emergency and or it may impede your efforts to get in your seat and drive away which is often your best defence.

There are custom designed locks to fit most European vans, these are often locked with key and again may prove difficult to open in an emergency. If you do lock your self in, you should practice opening the locks quite a few times this will make it slightly easier to do if you find yourself in the dark and full of adrenaline and fumbling to get out:Smile:

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

I don't think it really matters what you do with the doors whats more important is to have a Fire Action Plan which everyone is aware of.

This Plan must include details what each of them should do in the case of a fire and more to the point, each person must know their route for evacuation.

Therefore if you do put a chain across the front doors I would strongly suggest that you make sure you and everyone else has an alternative evacuation route ? for chain read any none standard opening devices as deadbolts down the sides of the door or other ingenious bolt/locks etc may not be easily found when the place is full of smoke and heat, so what ever you do make sure everyone is aware of their route and if that route means they need to open locks etc and there really is no alternative make sure they have the knowledge, implements and ability to open them ?

Its always worth testing your Fire Action Plan to see if it will work and that everyone knows what to do ?

Make a fire action plan so that everyone in your motorhome knows how to escape if there is a fire,

You should also make a Fire Action Plan for your home

hope that helps

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
to be quite honest i think 17stone behind a size ten boot will soon make a new door where a window used to be when the flames are licking your ass :Eeek:. hence, get out of the window, after all, they're only plastic clips holding it shut. if your vans on fire i wouldnt worry about a little damage!!!!!!

john.

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

I totally agree with you, our bed is above the rear garage and there is a window at either end of the bed which are both big enough to get through, so that is certainly our way out if God forbid there is a fire in the main seating area.

Brian

to be quite honest i think 17stone behind a size ten boot will soon make a new door where a window used to be when the flames are licking your ass :Eeek:. hence, get out of the window, after all, they're only plastic clips holding it shut. if your vans on fire i wouldnt worry about a little damage!!!!!!

john.

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
Most European vans are really easy to get into without a key!!!. Putting a chain between the doors is a great deterrent to the thief that looks in and sees that even if he smashes a window he still might have to struggle to effect entry. However in my opinion this should only be done when you are leaving the vehicle unattended. I cannot recommend that you lock your self in by using this method, for the obvious risk that you may not be able to get out in any emergency and or it may impede your efforts to get in your seat and drive away which is often your best defence.

There are custom designed locks to fit most European vans, these are often locked with key and again may prove difficult to open in an emergency. If you do lock your self in, you should practice opening the locks quite a few times this will make it slightly easier to do if you find yourself in the dark and full of adrenaline and fumbling to get out:Smile:

HI:winky: agree with jim on this only do my doors when parked on the drive has a extra
deterant not when camping because off fire hazard

Ray

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Straping doors with belts

Had an attempted break in in France (Carpentras) in 07 while we got a cup of coffee but a street cleaner foiled them (kids) After that I went to the hardware store to buy a length of chain and padlock. Met a helpful guy there who recommended a length of high tensile steel cable, cut to length and threaded through the steering wheel. It is much lighter than chain, coils up and fits in the side door compartment and you need an angle grinder to cut it. We made 3 attempts to cut it in the shop with a bolt/cable cutter and made a hash of it. I use it when away from the van during the day, I also leave the glove box open and empty as a lot of these type of break ins are smash and grab. I also use the cable at night.

BTW Happy New Year to you all. I was sick over the new year and wasn't online.

OP
OP
paulharrison
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi Pat
you can get a plastic coated steel cable with eyelets at both ends and it will not mark you van doors
Paul

TinaGlenn

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Near King's Lynn
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
When wild camping or when we don't feel 100% even on some camp sites, we just put the alarm system on, all of the doors and lockers are alarmed and I have got one on the Heiki too. Anyone trying to open anything will set it off and it will not go off by closing the door, it has to be switched off by the key or code pad.
It is always the first thing we have fitted on our vans.

I have always worried about getting out of the van in event of a fire or other emergency so strapes are out of the question for me.

Tina

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have always worried about getting out of the van in event of a fire or other emergency so strapes are out of the question for me.

Tina

If you must strap the doors whist you sleep make sure that you have a quick release system, the last thing you need to be doing in an emergency is fumbling with a combination lock. Like Tina suggests, the risk of being trapped is probably greater than being robbed and if it isn't, you really shouldn't be sleeping there.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: The Kontiki we have just bought, has Chubb locks fitted to the Driver and Passenger doors. When we are away from the Van. There is an Hasp and Staple with a sturdy lock on the entrance door.
BTW. Just travelled down through France to Spain again. Stayed on Aires. No attempts at robbery, entry, molestation etc. :RollEyes:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
:Cool: The Kontiki we have just bought, has Chubb locks fitted to the Driver and Passenger doors. When we are away from the Van. There is an Hasp and Staple with a sturdy lock on the entrance door.
BTW. Just travelled down through France to Spain again. Stayed on Aires. No attempts at robbery, entry, molestation etc. :RollEyes:

Anything to do with the UZI 9mm you just bought?:Eeek:

vector_uzi_used.jpg

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Security

I have bought two Bike Locks - Halfords 90cm Combi Bike Lock @£9.90 each and thread them through the handles, combination locks. Job done...
Link Removed

ShiftZZ

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Risk Assessment???

Good heavens - you lot certainly know how to put the frighteners on!!

How many times have you heard of anyone being robbed in their van, or worse still the van catching fire???

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Don't worry about being robbed Teasy they gas you first so you won't know a thing about it until you wake up:ROFLMAO:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Sorry Teasy it was a joke.
Gassing is a subject on any motorhome forum to get em going, some swear it happens other say it's not possible.
For me I don't believe it is possible.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Thank goodness for that! I have enough to worry about just making sure him (in the driving seat) keeps on the right side of the road, let alone worrying about what happens when we stop!

France for 5 weeks a week on Sunday, so we will have plenty of time to test out all the different ways to fall foul of whatever bad luck is out there!

One serious question, our motorhome has dead locks, does this mean the b*****rs cant get in through the doors? I can see I am not going to get any sleep tonight!!! :Eeek:

Ginny

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Deadlocks will keep you safe, the most important thing is where you stop, make sure there are others around. Enjoy france we are off for a couple of weeks in June, we did it last year and it is not the difficult.

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
I would like to be able to strap my doors together when we leave the van. However my Renault Master doesn't have anywhere suitable to thread the cable. The door covers are plastic so I can't see anywhere to secure a fastening. Does anyone know if there is somewhere on the door that is suitable for screwing into?

Thanks.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If there is nothing strong enough to thread a cable through than you cannot use this method, however the duoSafe should fit and it will do the same job. It slots down close to the window glass and prevents doors opening and at the same time provides a good visual deterrent. It is very light aluminium and when not in use it packs down small and is easily stored.

<John Cross> probably sell them and they give Funsters a good discount:thumb:

Attachments

• Fiamma_Duo_Safe.jpg
    Fiamma_Duo_Safe.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 63

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries