Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Rouen (Seine-Maritime). It is a well known classic trap motorists and truckers who have to cross Rouen (Normandy) through the city center. But the hoppers are always surprising. This Monday, March 5, earlier this afternoon, an RV was engulfed in the hopper, located at street level of Répblique ... And it is embedded.

Link Removed

Attachments

• camping-car4-356143.jpg
    camping-car4-356143.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 218

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Well it is not the first or the last

Well it is not the first or I suspect the last.. at least it was not a UK motorhome.. I cannot understand how people get caught here. If they took the trouble to check a map and say Google earth and follow the route.. it goes round this problem.. My satellite has never (any of the three I have) taken me in to the town.. It is the third exit after you come out of the long down hill tunnel and that then crosses over the top of the main road and runs down with the river on the right.. you cross over by bridge a few miles down. Done it dozens of times over the years both ways.. never an issue.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I did the same ( well not quite as bad) in one of the tunnels a few years ago.

It's easier to do than madblumad thinks

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Well it is not the first or I suspect the last.. at least it was not a UK motorhome.. I cannot understand how people get caught here. If they took the trouble to check a map and say Google earth and follow the route.. it goes round this problem.. My satellite has never (any of the three I have) taken me in to the town.. It is the third exit after you come out of the long down hill tunnel and that then crosses over the top of the main road and runs down with the river on the right.. you cross over by bridge a few miles down. Done it dozens of times over the years both ways.. never an issue.

Bob
We have ended up in the railway sidings a few times.
Jim
:roflmto:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I did the same ( well not quite as bad) in one of the tunnels a few years ago.

It's easier to do than madblumad thinks

I didn't say it was easy. If you wanna have a go at me for something then that's fine but don't misquote me.
Jim
:cry:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Bit daft to get stuck, I know they're not well signposted in advance but to keep going when its so obvious that you won't get under is plain daft.
I have gone as far as going down the slope and had to back up, but only once. In a large vehicle you must know the measurements of your vehicle, perhaps he thought he was less than 2.8m.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I didn't say it was easy. If you wanna have a go at me for something then that's fine but don't misquote me.
Jim
:cry:

Not having a go at you at all. You referred to it as 'the pits' cos there was a sign overhead.

When we did it there was a road closure which meant we couldn't take the usual road. We drove round Rouen at rush hour and found ourselves in the wrong lane with a wall to prevent us getting into the right lane. First we knew was when a hanging height warning smashed into the mh. We had no choice but to go forward and just managed to fit under the tunnel.

Right laugh it was - later::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
That is not such an issue

We have ended up in the railway sidings a few times.
Jim

That is not such an issue as there is a road between the river (other side) and the railway tracks and if you follow it all the way down you can dog leg back on to the main road again.. I sometimes come back up that way to get a look at the rolling stock, being a train fan .. no not a train spotter.. as in the USA train fanning.. But to get to the train lines you will have crossed the river and it is your last chance to divert i.e first exit on the right after crossing the bridge and drop down below.

Bob

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Not having a go at you at all. You referred to it as 'the pits' cos there was a sign overhead.

When we did it there was a road closure which meant we couldn't take the usual road. We drove round Rouen at rush hour and found ourselves in the wrong lane with a wall to prevent us getting into the right lane. First we knew was when a hanging height warning smashed into the mh. We had no choice but to go forward and just managed to fit under the tunnel.

Right laugh it was - later::bigsmile:

When I said it was the pits I meant that it was real bad luck. Us younger guys have a different language than you wrinkles, its all a part of the generation gap.
Jim
::bigsmile:

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
We made a height sign and laminated it, also has the width printed on the back in large numerals which we keep attached in the centre of the dash. I could never memorise the exact dimensions but it's easy to just glance down when approaching bridges etc.
Geoff.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We made a height sign and laminated it, also has the width printed on the back in large numerals which we keep attached in the centre of the dash. I could never memorise the exact dimensions but it's easy to just glance down when approaching bridges etc.
Geoff.

Same here but its not laminated. Very large red font size.
Jim
:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
if you are over 3.5 tons it is required

If you are over 3.5 tons it is a legal requirement to have a sign in such a position that the driver can see it. I have my height, width, length and my wight plus the trailer details as well.

Plus I have a satellite system that also records the same and while it does send me the long way round often.. I have not had an issue yet in the UK.. in France the roads (Nationals) may not have all the details, so it is a case of maps and checking the route as well as satellite and then eyes.. I do a lot of night runs when we go to France so we need to be sure well in advance that we have not got to back up 45' ... that is not a lot of fun.

Bob:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Oh gosh! What a shame, there's so many things to think about, width, height etc:Sad:

We managed to mis-judge the height of some flowering cherry trees in Morrisons car park in St Andrews last year:Doh: they weren't in flower and we didn't realise it until we heard the scraping of the branches against the luton cab:Blush::Blush: fortunately it was fairly soft stuff, nothing too solid.

However, you learn by your mistakes I suppose:RollEyes:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
If you are over 3.5 tons it is a legal requirement to have a sign in such a position that the driver can see it.

I didn't know that. You learn something new every day. Now if I had been on RVOC I would have known that woudnt I.
Jim

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
that would have been an expensive mistake to learn by

Oh gosh! What a shame, there's so many things to think about, width, height etc:Sad:

We managed to mis-judge the height of some flowering cherry trees in Morrisons car park in St Andrews last year:Doh: they weren't in flower and we didn't realise it until we heard the scraping of the branches against the luton cab:Blush::Blush: fortunately it was fairly soft stuff, nothing too solid.

However, you learn by your mistakes I suppose:RollEyes:

That would have been an expensive mistake to make ..... anyone can get caught by the odd tree over hanging, but it is a bit different when there are warning signs hanging down and you ignore them. Do not have a lot of sympathy with people that do not look.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Been there and done that - well as far as hitting the height bar at any rate andyes, it is easily done. Once you know about it there is no problem you just go round instead of under. I can't see why people are so keen to blame the satnav. A map would have made no difference.
Wyn

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I take it you did not see the sign?

Been there and done that - well as far as hitting the height bar at any rate andyes, it is easily done. Once you know about it there is no problem you just go round instead of under. I can't see why people are so keen to blame the satnav. A map would have made no difference.
Wyn

I take it you did not see the sign as you approached.. My satellite has never sent me that way.

Bob:RollEyes:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I take it you did not see the sign as you approached.. My satellite has never sent me that way.

Bob:RollEyes:

I've been through there with two separate Sat Nav's, a Binatone and a Tom Tom. Neither have sent me down there.

I have been caught in a Tractor go slow through there. The French were on strike again and we got caught in the picket line. :RollEyes:
Jim
:Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Well that's the internet for ya, Cant keep bloody nothing a secret these days.

Oh well, At least we're allright, thanks for asking :ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
looks like an escape lane there

Here is a low tunnel in Brest .. (looks like 2.6mt on the sign) and TomTom DID direct me to go under :Doh:

http://maps.google.com/?ll=48.398579,-4.488124&spn=0.000924,0.002642&hnear=Alderton,+Suffolk,+United+Kingdom&t=k&z=19&layer=c&cbll=48.398633,-4.488033&panoid=7WVwvxLDZAcZgb2jUXvg9g&cbp=12,243.7,,0,13.98

Fortunately I was alert and saw the warning signs.. otherwise topless RV

looks like there is an escape lane there?

Bob

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My Satnav told me to go under. I ignored it. My eyes are far more reliable than any computer..... I tried to pull into the lane to go around it but too much traffic so I slowed to a crawl and slowly barged my way out. Got a few toots of appreciation for my observational skills :ROFLMAO:

I have little if any sympathy for this person, hopefully they will have learned a valuable lesson. Don't chat on the phone, eat, smoke or anything else that takes your eyes off the road (and its signs) and definitely don't trust satnav.

Satnav is a tool not an auto pilot. When you switch it on don't turn your brain off.

Spookily enough Rouen is the only place in France I actually switch the Satnav on because it is a sod to navigate through. Much better now the bypass is open :thumb:

Jan 23, 2012
taunton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Well Well Well
That was the reason for my post:Doh:
Regards vana

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun