No fill water tank ! (1 Viewer)

Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Yikes, just been out to fill the water tank for the first time this year and make sure everythings ok taps etc, closed the water safety valve, but having inserted hose and turned on the water tap the sound of running water, HELP. I've crawled under the tank and can see a large hose which the water seems to be coming out of, but strangely on the other side of the tank water is also coming out of an outlet which I didn't even know was there ! The split hose I can understand but the secondry outpouring ! any ideas ? Elddis 120 2009.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our Autoquest 100 (2004) had a convoluted pipe for draining the tank, which ended in a tap. There was also an overflow outlet but that, naturally, only came into use when the tank was filled.

The only other outlet was the one to the cold water system.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
are you sure its not from the heater dump pipe? check thats its closed inside

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Could it be that the frost dump valve on the boiler has opened automatically?
Geoff.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Sounds like you have the dump valves open! Elddis have a plastic, awkward to get you valve, at the floor beside the tank That needs to be closed.

Also check the frost dump and bypass valves which will be on brass pipes and exit through the floor. If the water from the top is quite a substantial amount, then it is probably the overflow and the tank is full.

Take up the seats/whatever is above the tank and have a look to see if it is full - eldiss usually have a lack tank, but you will see the overflow pipe coming from the top and be able to see water flowing out. Failing that, there is an access hatch on top - make sure you reseal afterwards!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The dump valve on mine is under a removable shelf at the bottom of the big pull out storage under the sink. Took me ages to find it as the manual just gave a picture of the valve, most unhelpful as I knew what it looked like, just wanted to know where it was. Operating mine involves removing many jars of curry sauce to get at the valve.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
sounds like a bit of frost damage.
the large hose would probably be either the tank inlet or drain pipe.
the small secondary one could be either an overflow pipe or the pump feed pipe.
i wouldn't have thought that the boiler would be causing this issue as that would leak only when the pump was running.

OP
OP
motorhomewave
Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Thanks

Thanks to all of you for replying. I am now shamefaced as I reveal the problem. The water tank was already full ! I got back from a trip last December with flu, thought I had emptied the water tank, lifted taps done all the correct things for overwintering etc but must have failed to empty the tank. Luckily we haven't had a bad winter or things could have been much worse, the kitchen tap leaks from the joints underneath, bathroom is fine, shower fine so it could have been worse.:Sad:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Thanks to all of you for replying. I am now shamefaced as I reveal the problem. The water tank was already full ! I got back from a trip last December with flu, thought I had emptied the water tank, lifted taps done all the correct things for overwintering etc but must have failed to empty the tank. Luckily we haven't had a bad winter or things could have been much worse, the kitchen tap leaks from the joints underneath, bathroom is fine, shower fine so it could have been worse.:Sad:

You may have got away fairly lightly with just the kitchen tap. I would check the water heater out carefully, as this is more of a confined area, these are more prone to going than anywhere else. Shower heads tend to split of the join, so do pressurise that and look carefully for leaks.

I learned the £60 tap lesson too years ago!:winky:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I would go out and buy a lotto ticket if I was you, your really lucky