Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
What to use??

lightweight camping type thingys or proper pots and pans?

Cheers
2dogs

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you have the payload to spare.....proper pots, pans, cups, plates etc.

lightweight stuff is ok for very occasional use.....like extra emergency pots for cooking christmas dinner etc but wont last long and any none stick will come unstuck in a short time.

same for cups/plates.....pottery is always best...melamine is rubbish and easily scratched.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Normal ones if you ask me. Just don't carry a full set, just what is absolutely essential. i carry 2 pans and 1 frying pan. But I am solo and only have a 2 ring hob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Thanks John,

must admit, proper crockery, mugs and glasses for me, weight is not an option, only need one glass ... large ::bigsmile: just wasn't sure about the cooking side.

Cheers
2dogs

Upvote 0

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,
It depends very much on storage space, that does not seem to be a problem for you. As has been said pottery plates are much better than melamine, that cost a fortune anyway, and lightweight domestic saucepans and frying pan. We don't keep them very long because they do scratch and lose their non stick coating but if you buy cheap ones they can be thrown away and repalced quite cheaply and use less gas to heat.
One tip though regarding cups, mugs, plates of the pottery variety do not do as we did at first and store them in your overhead locker above the cooker; they are too heavy and after a while you may find, as we did, the catches on the locker doors become weak and will have a tendency not to close properly. Remember lightweight up top and heavy weights down below.

have fun.

Norman

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We've had the larger Double Skillet for several years, which is what we use mainly. Bought the smaller version as well last year for when we might want to cook more. We also have a saucepan plus a couple of paella pans for when we want to cook outside (we have one of those table top gas hobs rather than anything posh).

We still use melamine plates and dishes but went back to proper pot mugs because we found melamine ones didn't last and weren't as nice to use. Still use plastic "glasses" though.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
If there was only 2 of us i'd change to china and glass. But theres 5 of us.
We've also got a great set of melamine plates, dishes, cups, serving bowls etc, that we had with the caravan. But it matches the MH too. So we thought why stop using them. As for pans , we have a Tefal set . This is 10 year old , easily. We have that from out tenting days. Its green , non stick and 5 piece. It all goes inside itself into a green canvas bag, with 1 handle that clips on to each item. Still going strong , light weight , so why change it . Then theres the cadac. We have all the bits and bobs that go with that , but only use the paella pan.

Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
My dear boy !! One has certain standards that must be adhered too !!:Cool:
"Proper" plates etc. And a Dartington decanter and glasses (Also Brandy Balloons) for the occasional visitor !!!:thumb:

Don't all rush at once !!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
One needs to resist the temptation to embark one's set of Le Creuset pans .... :Sad:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We carry 4 saucepans, two frying pans and a variety of ovenware. I did put my foot down about the Le crueset cast iron pans though.:thumbdown:

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We have 'normal' crockery & glasses. Fairly decent saucepans - had cheap ones & they didn't last long!
I also carry a stack of paper plates to use for things like toast or sandwiches etcc when you don't really need a china plate, only for the convenience of not having to wash them up!

Upvote 0

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
We have a set of pans that all fit inside each other,take up very little space..

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Normal ones if you ask me. Just don't carry a full set, just what is absolutely essential. i carry 2 pans and 1 frying pan. But I am solo and only have a 2 ring hob.

::bigsmile: We carry china mugs,thick clr placcy glasses (wish I could find some more)a couple of plates and a set of 4 malamine large,small,plates dishes mugs.Pan wise a small milk type pan and a 3 tier steamer that goes on either gas or leccy ring :thumb: pie dishes,yorkshire pud tins and small and large frying pans.Best bit is the steamer -cook a full dinner on one ring :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
One needs to resist the temptation to embark one's set of Le Creuset pans .... :Sad:

One would also like to point out that these weigh a lot, so palmed them off to son, but use normal pots, non-stick Tefal frying pan and these sit nicely in our pan cupboard under the oven.

OH has his crystal glass for his "malt", but I'm happy with usual wine glass, no sherry glasses as yet, but paper cups are fine for that:roflmto:

A pack of extra long straws is also handy for use with wine bottles, saves on the washing-up:thumb:

With regards to mugs and plates being heavy for the lockers, we have a fitted rack with shaped holder for the cups/mugs which grips them perfectly.

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I've just remembered that we still use the old "whistling" kettle that we kept when we sold the caravan. We keep meaning to get a low wattage electric one, because it would be better on the ehu, however, we still use the old whistler and just haven't got round to replacing it yet.

Does anyone else still use an old whistling kettle, or is it just us?:roflmto:

Margaret

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
What about the sherry glasses? :ROFLMAO:

S
Since when have you bothered with a glass Sue ?...........

images

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

Does anyone else still use an old whistling kettle, or is it just us?:roflmto:

Margaret

Yes we use one. :thumb:
We never , well very rarely ever , have hook up. So an electric one would be niether use nor ornament ::bigsmile:
We do have a couple of champagne glasses too , i forgot about those. I can drink my shiraz out of a plastic glass , but not my champers.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
We also have both £4 whistler plus £5 tesco leccy one works fine on hook up along with a Grand Ramoska also for use on H/U also leccy fan heater and gas Trauma blown heater -got to make use of EHU where you can :winky: I know we could make do with the cooker oven etc,but have plenty of storage and payload
terry

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Talking about pots and pans........has anyone else noticed the sponsored link to the right of this page?

It was showing a bowl of curry earlier on with a Groupon offer:thumb: but it's changed to cameras and phones now, shame!

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Talking about pots and pans........has anyone else noticed the sponsored link to the right of this page?

It was showing a bowl of curry earlier on with a Groupon offer:thumb: but it's changed to cameras and phones now, shame!

There you go, Groupon Offers !!, woops its gone. :whatthe:
Jim
:roflmto:

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Interesting how this thread has evolved over the day! Started out with "pots 'n' pans" and has ended up with wine glasses, beer tankards, champagne flutes, sherry glasses:thumb:

What a right bunch of alcies on here:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm