Free Member
Jan 9, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
8 mths
Going to Italy in August can anybody recomend cheap campsite around Garda. And does anybody know if it would be cheaper to drive to Rome or go by train from Garda 2 adults 2 teenagers. Any tips on travel round Italy wuold be appreciated.Thanks Dave

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Don't know about that particular trip but in general train travel is very cheap in Italy. We were in Tuscany last September and October. (We found the camper stops/sostas were great. We stayed on one in a rural railway station car park with free EHU.) We took the train to several cities. Not expensive, very convenient and no problem having a couple of drinks with the pasta. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Don't know if you have spent much time in Italy but it is worth checking cafe prices if you want to sit to eat or drink. One place tried to charge an extra 3 euros for each item we had. Station cafes on the other hand were good and cheap.
Enjoy the trip. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Going to Italy in August can anybody recomend cheap campsite around Garda. And does anybody know if it would be cheaper to drive to Rome or go by train from Garda 2 adults 2 teenagers. Any tips on travel round Italy wuold be appreciated.Thanks Dave
I can't imagine anything cheap round Garda at that time. Getting a pitch will take an effort. Pesciera place to go, on main line.

Rome by train ? Implies a day trip, that's a pretty tall order.

Camping Tiber good for Rome.

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Avoid

I love Italy and have spent many months there over the past 20 years. The main advice I would give is to avoid it like the plague in August! Every Italian is on holiday and campsites, restaurants, bars, beaches etc are all full. It is absolutely manic - certainly not a relaxing holiday.
You will be lucky to find any available pitches on campsites and if you want to use the sostas I suggest you arrive before lunch.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i have to agree with bob been to garda a few times now and would never go in august again to hot and to busy as for rome take the train we stayed at norcenni last year near florence and drove to rome took around 3 hrs each way so from garda would be much more so the train is best a s for cheap in august nothin is cheap good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi dont know what you class as cheap but might struggle in August around Garda, we stayed at camping San Francesco in the south and just near by there was a MH Aire cant remember the Italian name for them.

When we where there we used the train to Venice and found it very good and reasonably priced. I know you asked about Rome but might help you.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I goo every year and believe me, the words cheap and Garda should never be used in the same sentence !

However...................... :)
12 miles east of or Riva del Garda there is a town called Rovereto ( which is where I will be briefly the 2nd week of August )
Beside the football stadium there is a great little aires with water and toilet dump facilities
Plot up there and get a taxi to the train station.. There are trains running to Rome from there. No idea of cost but can say it will DEF. be cheaper ( a return trip to Florence was 9.50 € , and that is about half way to Rome !)

Italy is a wonderful place to be. People are laid back and in general both friendly and helpful, at least in the north.
I was warned not to go to Rome in the van because :
A) it will almost certainly end up getting clumped ( as mentioned elsewhere, they drive as if they are on a banger track )

B) and if you go there do not have a camera hanging round your neck but keep a hand on it, and do be very careful in the touresty parts as the levels of bag snatching and pick pocket incidents is very high indeed.. so much so that the police have pretty much given up trying to catch the villains .. We have two lots of friends who have been there and BOTH had potential problems but managed to hang on to their bits and bobs !!

It has got to the point that most Italian people are actually ashamed of the whole situation and will tell you themselves to be VERY wary

We have always found the police helpful ( once, having plotted up for lunch, we attracted the attention of a local police officer.. He parked up and knocked on the door.. in reasonable english and my pee poor Italian we worked out that we should not be where we are as it is was not allowed to stop there.. But he then offered to show us a nice spot under some trees where we could stop as long as we liked ( as in days in needs be )

We followed him a couple of miles and was well pleased !!
I gave him a bottle of red for his trouble. He actually saluted and left us to our devices !!

All our experiences have been in the north of the country though.. the furthest south we have ever driven is Pisa in Tuscony ( and the police there are nothing short of amazing !! Managed to get the van completely stuck in a tiny side road.. They stopped all the traffic, opened the back gates to the hospital and got us through the grounds and away.. All the while smiling and encouraging rather than the dour looks I would expect in the UK !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back