Flying flags .. be careful not to offend. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Like many I have a collection of flags ... Scotland, Union Flag, USA, France, Spain, Morocco and few more..
However, I have always been careful not to offend, and if flying the Saltire abroad would fly it bellow the nations own flag .. just as a matter of courtesy to my host nation.

What brought this to mind was a story I read today from Morocco where a man was jailed for six months flying the Israel flag .. .. seems a bit harsh.. so be ultra careful in Morocco ..

A Moroccan court sentenced a man who flew the Israeli flag over his home to six months in jail, Ynet leaned Saturday.

According to an Al-Arabiya report, Mohammed Jadidi, 42, raised the flag over his Nador home as means of protest against local authorities over the disconnection of electricity and water supplies to his residence.

Jadidi was arrested on Monday and was charged with "sacrilege" via the "undermining the Moroccan national flag."
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4197729,00.html

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
That is why when in boat we always run up the national colours

Like many I have a collection of flags ... Scotland, Union Flag, USA, France, Spain, Morocco and few more..
However, I have always been careful not to offend, and if flying the Saltire abroad would fly it bellow the nations own flag .. just as a matter of courtesy to my host nation.

What brought this to mind was a story I read today from Morocco where a man was jailed for six months flying the Israel flag .. .. seems a bit harsh.. so be careful in Morocco ..

In a boat you always run up the national flag or the country you are visiting then your own one.

When in the RV in France/Spain I tend not to fly any flags to save any issues.

On sites I have the Texas State Flag, the Confederate States Flag, the United States flag, the Union Jack, the yellow supporting our troops and I have an unused RVOC which is so thick I may use as a table cloth or try and flog it at a profit... Must have gone up in value since last year:Sad:

Different height flag poles dictates which get the higher rating (normally Texas).

Bob

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004

What brought this to mind was a story I read today from Morocco where a man was jailed for six months flying the Israel flag .. .. seems a bit harsh.. so be careful in Morocco ..

cor how would we manage then if we took our van there?

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
In a boat you always run up the national flag or the country you are visiting then your own one.

[HI]When in the RV in France/Spain I tend not to fly any flags to save any issues.[/HI]

On sites I have the Texas State Flag, the Confederate States Flag, the United States flag, the Union Jack, the yellow supporting our troops and I have an unused RVOC which is so thick I may use as a table cloth or try and flog it at a profit... Must have gone up in value since last year:Sad:

Different height flag poles dictates which get the higher rating (normally Texas).

Bob

Yes, I tend to agree, I wouldn't normally fly while stopping on an aire or small site.. however while staying long term on a Spanish site it was great to see all the different flags from around Europe..
I flew the Saltire below the Spanish flag .. this of course advertises where you are from and I had lots of 'guests' coming in and asking about Scotland and if I wore a kilt.. :roflmto:

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I have two flags a Fun Flag and a Donegal Flag.

We bought a Union Jack Flag for Kevin's best friend in Sweden. He was allowed to fly it on his birthday. On other days they had the Swedish flag flying. It was the only other country I have been to besides the USA that have flag poles in nearly every property and displays the National flag.

The only time it ever happens in this country is when the football is on. Our council have a policy of no flags National or Otherwise.

I think we have a Union Jack indoors (Belongs to eldest Son) and an Irish Tricolour (belongs to my youngest Son).

Sonja

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have a big flag on my drive..my RV

My RV is the biggest flag I can have.. it sits on the drive at an angle (due to shape of drive) all the world can see it is a Winnebago.. and if they does not sing America, I do not know what does.

I do fly a USA flag on 9-11 each year.

Bob

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Jim, you are absolutly correct , there is a definite etticate to flying flags.

I love to see all flags flying whether they be national, county, clubs or any others.

My biggest gripe is with the Union Flag being flown upsidedown unless of course someone is in distress. I feel that if anyone is proud enough to fly their national flag then they should at least have it correct side up.

I'm sure in some countries it would be an arrestable offence to fly the national flag incorrectly.

Maybe when the Scots leave the Union and the flag has to be changed we will have something less easy to get wrong.

Brian

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim, you are absolutly correct , there is a definite etticate to flying flags.

I love to see all flags flying whether they be national, county, clubs or any others.

[HI]My biggest gripe is with the Union Flag being flown upsidedown unless of course someone is in distress.[/HI] I feel that if anyone is proud enough to fly their national flag then they should at least have it correct side up.

I'm sure in some countries it would be an arrestable offence to fly the national flag incorrectly.

Maybe when the Scots leave the Union and the flag has to be changed we will have something less easy to get wrong.

Brian

That really winds me up.. see it quite regularly .. even on TV

Not so long ago I was looking at a shop window display that had the Union Flag upside down.. I couldn't stop myself so I went in and pointed out the error to an assistant.. but he didn't understand what I was on about .. :Doh:

Yes, blame the Jocks for such an odd flag ... :roflmto:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
That really winds me up.. see it quite regularly .. even on TV

Not so long ago I was looking at a shop window display that had the Union Flag upside down.. I couldn't stop myself so I went in and pointed out the error to an assistant.. but he didn't understand what I was on about .. :Doh:

Yes, blame the Jocks for such an odd flag ... :roflmto:

I usually do the same, even at one of the shows a guy selling flags had it upsidedown and when I told him he couldn't see what was wrong:Doh:

Joyce just walks off and leaves me when I spot an offender 'cos she knows what I will do :ROFLMAO:

The current flag is fine it just needs the addition of an arrow pointing "This side Up":winky:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
For those that dont know how it should be flown
Broken Link Removed

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
For those that dont know how it should be flown
Broken Link Removed

Thanks Geo. I wasn't aware of this. Always nice to learn new stuff.

I always thought the union jack was equal in all dimensions. I didn't know about counter changing or that it had the flag of northern ireland in it. TBH I didn't know ireland had a flag:Doh:

Thanks for the lesson :winky:::bigsmile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
The only flag I ever wave is a white one. :whatthe:
Jim
::bigsmile:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Also incorrectly called the Union 'Jack'

It is the Union Flag .. only called the Union Jack if flown from the jack staff on a ship or boat.

A jackstaff is a small vertical spar (pole) in the bow of a ship, on which a particular type of flag, known as a jack, is flown. It is from this that the term Union Jack derives

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I learnt the Union Flag one when I was in the scouts..BROAD BAR TO TOP LEFT LAD!!..as for flying flags I flew my Yorkshire Rose when I was in in Peniscola for a few weeks a couple of years ago..(Below the Host nation Flag as per regs!!) that was the centre of much discussion at times...that flag has a has a certain way up to be flown too..I also had on my flagpole..a Union Flag..A Jolly Roger... A small St Georges Flag and a small Vendee Flag..just so everyone knew I was a Brit and a Yorky too!!!..Mind you it did help Dawn to find where the van was when she came out of the shower blocks on any given site too...

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Remember too that the Funster Flag when flown upside down is an International Distress Signal

"Funster Out of Beer"

:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• flyingflagdistress.jpg
    flyingflagdistress.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 8

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I rest my case !!

What a silly effin cow !:Angry:
Queen ? I prefer Danny la Rue !! And he/she is better looking !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Old Mo used to sport a very pretty flag ! Where has that one gone ?????

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well hang on there Salopian - it's obviously been stuck to the stick the wrong way up and in any case - for all you know, Camilla might have been in distress - were her feet killing her? or was she perchance surrounded by idiots?

:ROFLMAO:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I never understood the tendency for UK folk to fly US flags / Confederate flags, etc.
Seems a nonsense to me if you aint a yank.
Can anyone enlighten me?

Flying the Union Flag upside down isnt a distress signal, it's ignorance.
It is considered "lese Majeste", which means an insult to the crown, and is still technically an offence in UK and Commonwealth countries.

Dont ask for a link: source is Wikki

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
St Pirans or the Southern Cross for me, Have never flown the Butchers Apron' BUT, admire the people that do, given this state of Political Correctness that is now ingrained in this once proud Countrty.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Flags

I never understood the tendency for UK folk to fly US flags / Confederate flags, etc.
Seems a nonsense to me if you aint a yank.
Can anyone enlighten me?

Flying the Union Flag upside down isnt a distress signal, it's ignorance.
It is considered "lese Majeste", which means an insult to the crown, and is still technically an offence in UK and Commonwealth countries.

Dont ask for a link: source is Wikki

You are right, it's nonsense, unless you are a burger van trying to attract trade, otherwise it seems pointless just like those dream catchers things flapping about, unless perhaps there are children in the party.

If people must fly a flag I would have thought it better to stick to their national one.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
You are right, it's nonsense, unless you are a burger van trying to attract trade, otherwise it seems pointless just like those dream catchers things flapping about, unless perhaps there are children in the party.

If people must fly a flag I would have thought it better to stick to their national one.

Dont have a problem with it, just wondered why.
I've never seen "foreign" flags flown by folk in other countries,that's all.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I normally only fly flags at shows, and this is largely an aid to me and my kids( in the days they came with me) to find my van among 2,000 nearly identical white boxes on a field.

I have a 'Pussers pirate club' flag I bought in Tortola (Skull & bones), a Fun flag (of course) an East Sussex Flag, and a Europe flag. I have never flown the national flags because there are always hundreds of those so it wouldn't help. Usually fly two flags to produce a hopefully unique combination.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998

What brought this to mind was a story I read today from Morocco where a man was jailed for six months flying the Israel flag .. .. seems a bit harsh.. so be ultra careful in Morocco ..

You don't have to be in Morocco to end up in jail half the councils in the UK would jail you if they could get away with it for flying for flying a flag, wether it be another countries or one of the UK countries

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back