Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Has anyone been to or stayed at Barnard Castle?

Can you recommend any sites? Any advice would be much appreciated!:Smile:

Thanks,

Bill

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Have a look at this
Link Removed

not cheap but we have been a couple of times and it was nice and clean and friendly owners

ps. if you have a dog there is a nice walk along the river

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Have a look at this
Link Removed

not cheap but we have been a couple of times and it was nice and clean and friendly owners

ps. if you have a dog there is a nice walk along the river

Many thanks for your reply to our post. This looks super, we were "hoping" to get away for Easter, will ring them tomorrow and see what's available.

Sadly, we no longer have our dog:cry:

Bill & Margaret

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rob w

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
North East
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
just over a year
We stayed at the Camping & Caravan site about 3 miles out of Barny, nice site modern and clean, mobile chippy, good walks, kids play area and loads of hedging with tunnels for the kids to play in.
But the Carvan club site is much closer to the town, a short walk up a big hill.
A must is Bowes museum, plenty of room to park your motorhome for free

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We stayed at the Camping & Caravan site about 3 miles out of Barny, nice site modern and clean, mobile chippy, good walks, kids play area and loads of hedging with tunnels for the kids to play in.
But the Carvan club site is much closer to the town, a short walk up a big hill.
A must is Bowes museum, plenty of room to park your motorhome for free

Thanks for your reply, we did look at the Caravan Club site (online) as we are members. But the reviews weren't great and said the site was noisy being close to a road.
Thanks for letting us know about the C & C site, we'll look into this tomorrow:thumb:
Bill

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
I can recommend the C&CC site, lovely walk through the woods into town, but do get in early for the fish & chip van it gets very busy, nice fish & chips though.:thumb:
Geoff.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Doe park is great. There is a good walk cross country into Barnard Castle. If you go to the town walk right up to the top and on the laft is the best fish n chips in the UK. :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
If you were looking to get a way for easter, there's still space on the Chester food and wine festival meet :winky:

One of Britain's finest cities to walk around, Great food and Wine to taste and some great company too. :Smile:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Doe park is great. There is a good walk cross country into Barnard Castle. If you go to the town walk right up to the top and on the laft is [HI]the best fish n chips in the UK[/HI]. :thumb:

Praise indeed from THE purveyor of fine foods and offle.......

.......even though he's a born again Frenchie..............Happy Birthday Steph.....Griff
:thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ralph built the substation for the museum at Barnard Castle . Nice place , great little town. He stayed on a farm outside the town towards High force waterfall , whilst working up there . We went up to see him on a weekend for 4 weeks on the trot .
I cant for the life of me remember the name of it.:Doh: It was a sheep farm on the right hand side of the road. The entrance is a stone wall curved at each side of the road with a cattle grate .
It has some well kept permanent statics , a tent area and hard standing area for MH and caravans , also a grassed area with hook up. They have a lovely walk around a wood for the dogs, a stream , and loads of trees to climb and make dens , which our kids spent most of the time doing. Laundry room with huge tumble dryer, great if your there for a while . In fact Ralph got all the bedding and towels washed and dried up there and all his work clothes , when he finished his trip. Which saved me a job .
No club / pub so it was nice and quiet. Or any roads .There was a little shop which sold home made cakes , cookies and sweets as well as the usual everyday stuff. I will try and get my thinking cap on today for the name.:Blush:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Ralph built the substation for the museum at Barnard Castle . Nice place , great little town. He stayed on a farm outside the town towards High force waterfall , whilst working up there . We went up to see him on a weekend for 4 weeks on the trot .
I cant for the life of me remember the name of it.:Doh: It was a sheep farm on the right hand side of the road. The entrance is a stone wall curved at each side of the road with a cattle grate .
It has some well kept permanent statics , a tent area and hard standing area for MH and caravans , also a grassed area with hook up. They have a lovely walk around a wood for the dogs, a stream , and loads of trees to climb and make dens , which our kids spent most of the time doing. Laundry room with huge tumble dryer, great if your there for a while . In fact Ralph got all the bedding and towels washed and dried up there and all his work clothes , when he finished his trip. Which saved me a job .
No club / pub so it was nice and quiet. Or any roads .There was a little shop which sold home made cakes , cookies and sweets as well as the usual everyday stuff. I will try and get my thinking cap on today for the name.:Blush:

You might find it on here Bev http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/results3.asp?search=barnard castle&by=town

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
CCC site is sound stayed there a few times as said nice walk into town through the woods only have to cross one road and your there, the showers are spot on and its a peacfull site :thumb: not stayed at the new CC site but looks ok closer to town but next to the main road its only a country A road not the M1 so would not put me off Gray.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
We've stayed at the C&CC site, spotlessly clean. Only negative if going in school hols is that, as on many sites, the toilet block is like a magnet for kids on bikes, why do they find toilets so attractive?
Bowes museum as mentioned is a must-visit as is Beamish is you don't mind an hours drive.

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
If you were looking to get a way for easter, there's still space on the Chester food and wine festival meet :winky:

One of Britain's finest cities to walk around, Great food and Wine to taste and some great company too. :Smile:

Many thanks for this! We weren't planning to go too far over the Easter weekend, because of other commitments, but would like to attend a meet at some point if possible. Then we can incorporate other things at the same time, visits to family/friends etc

Will let you know if we get somewhere sorted out for Easter around Barney.

Many thanks again, it would be lovely to meet up sometime:thumb:

Bill & Margaret

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We've stayed at the C&CC site, spotlessly clean. Only negative if going in school hols is that, as on many sites, the toilet block is like a magnet for kids on bikes, why do they find toilets so attractive?
Bowes museum as mentioned is a must-visit as is Beamish is you don't mind an hours drive.

Thanks for this, we usually try to go outwith the school hols, our two are now in their mid to late 20's and have long since given up hanging around the toilet blocks on their bikes:roflmto::roflmto:

We had a friend whose son used to be fascinated with water and taps!! He would turn them on and forget to switch them off:Doh:

Will certainly give Bowes Museum a visit when we get over. From what everyone has said on here it sounds a great place to visit, especially that Fish and Chip shop:thumb::roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back