Which LED Bulbs (1 Viewer)

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Having got the solar panels and digi monitor, im constantly watching my power consumption, especially at night when the lights go on and Im watching telly.

I have a 2001 Cheyenne, mostly use the spots in the rear at night (now that sounds odd:Eeek:), you know what I mean....

Can I just whip the bulbs out and put LED bulbs in? What types do i use?

I know narthink..

Cheers all

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Having got the solar panels and digi monitor, im constantly watching my power consumption, especially at night when the lights go on and Im watching telly.

I have a 2001 Cheyenne, mostly use the spots in the rear at night (now that sounds odd:Eeek:), you know what I mean....

Can I just whip the bulbs out and put LED bulbs in? What types do i use?

I know narthink..

Cheers all

The standard appears to be G4 LED.. Try E-bay

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if your spotlight bulbs are side mounted in the lamp you could use these...

Link Removed

if the bulb hangs down in the lamp then these will do....

Link Removed

i got all mine from

LED BULBS 4 U

they both come in 6 or 9 led units and bright or soft options

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Depends what type of lights you have.

If you have spots then they could be MR11's. these led bulbs for these can be seen at -

http://www.caravanledlighting.co.uk/mr11-6-led-warm-white-bulb-8-30v-18w-73-p.asp

for down lighters it probably be G4's - something like this

http://www.caravanledlighting.co.uk/g4-10-led-warm-white-circular-10-30v-2w-4-p.asp

Look around for best prices at Alten Lighting, Leisure power, CaravanLED lighting and Ebay and Amazon.

Look and compare watage, lumens, life hours for each bulb

Best to ensure that the lights have "an input voltage range which s 10-30V DC allowing voltage fluctuations to occur such as a water pump switching on and off."

As if it does not have protection circuitry then the bulb could fail.

However bulbs which have it are over £6, without it around £2 so you could get three bulbs for price of one. you takes your choice.

I after much soul searching, went for the bulbs from CaravanLED lighting.

hope this helps

bob

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In addition to G4 and MR11 you could need bayonet cap bulbs for certain spotlights.

Aten Lighting do a full range of well made bulbs. See my post (#9) Broken Link Removed as regards quality differences. I'm still awaiting the two bulbs from the other Hong Kong supplier 19 days after ordering.

Our Burstner had a couple of round ceiling lights with 16W fluorescents in them (one of which I managed to break when finding out what they were). Rather than mess about converting I bought two of the Silver Sand fittings from . as Aten don't do fittings in the size I wanted.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
if you need the bayonet cap bulbs (ba15s fitting ) have a look on ebay , i got 8 delivered for £6.99 been using them now in the spotlights on our Cheyenne for nearly 2 years now, as they are sold as car brake lamps you don't have to worry about voltage regulators

something the same as these
Link Removed

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
if you need the bayonet cap bulbs (ba15s fitting ) have a look on ebay , i got 8 delivered for £6.99 been using them now in the spotlights on our Cheyenne for nearly 2 years now, as they are sold as car brake lamps you don't have to worry about voltage regulators

something the same as these
Link Removed

You need to be a bit careful with the car bulbs. I bought some of These (£17.88 for four, including P&P) in July 2007 (when LEDs were pretty new) and found that they did not fit the eyeball spotlights in our Elddis as the neck was not long enough to allow the bayonets to engage. It's worth checking before ordering.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You need to be a bit careful with the car bulbs. I bought some of These (£17.88 for four, including P&P) in July 2007 (when LEDs were pretty new) and found that they did not fit the eyeball spotlights in our Elddis as the neck was not long enough to allow the bayonets to engage. It's worth checking before ordering.

cheers Graham , i bought 1 of the type i was interested in to make sure it fitted ,then bought the rest

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
led lights

Hi, we had a Cheyenne and changed the bulbs in the spotlights and also added these strip lights fixing them under the curtain pelmet, gave an excellent lighting effect when the blinds were closed.

Link Removed

The guy is really helpfull, you can get them different lengths to suit or if you can handle a little soldering buy a 5mtr length and make up you exact requirements.:thumb:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Three questions -

Is it possible to fit LED bulbs in tube lamps? If not do people replace tube lamps with a certain type of LED lamp?

Is there a set percentage in current reduction used between convetional bulbs and LED's?

How does the output compare between a tungsten lamp and a LED? I think I am asking if you have a 10W conventional bulb and need the same output in LED, how do you know how many LED's to fit?

Sorry for so many questions

Thanks

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Three questions -

Is it possible to fit LED bulbs in tube lamps? If not do people replace tube lamps with a certain type of LED lamp?
Yes, two ways:
1) Replace the unit as I have just done (mentioned last night).
2) Buy an appropriate LED bulb (people like Aten and Ledbulbs4u will advise) then remove the tube and clip the wires to remove the ballast from the circuit (remebering to clip on the correct side of the switch) and wire in the LED bulb. I did that on our previous van. It's cheaper and no more difficult than unit replacement but this time I decided new units were preferable.[/QUOTE]

Is there a set percentage in current reduction used between conventional bulbs and LED's?
LEDs use about 10% of the current of conventional bulbs.

How does the output compare between a tungsten lamp and a LED? I think I am asking if you have a 10W conventional bulb and need the same output in LED, how do you know how many LED's to fit?
The warm white seem to give about the same amount of light and cool white are brighter. I just replaced one for one on both this van and our previous one. The best way to judge light output is to look at the displays of vendors at shows.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi, we had a Cheyenne and changed the bulbs in the spotlights and also added these strip lights fixing them under the curtain pelmet, gave an excellent lighting effect when the blinds were closed.

Link Removed

The guy is really helpfull, you can get them different lengths to suit or if you can handle a little soldering buy a 5mtr length and make up you exact requirements.:thumb:

i have also used the same and removed all the autotrail fitted strip lights above the lockers and fitted these led strips , same again using for 2 years with out a problem and no regulator fitted

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Three questions -

Is it possible to fit LED bulbs in tube lamps? If not do people replace tube lamps with a certain type of LED lamp? Yes, but its cheaper to convert them to strips of LEDs rather than buying the ready made conversion tubes

Is there a set percentage in current reduction used between convetional bulbs and LED's? It depends on the type of LEDs used and in general each LED bulb cluster is just under 1 watt some are lower of course

How does the output compare between a tungsten lamp and a LED? I think I am asking if you have a 10W conventional bulb and need the same output in LED, how do you know how many LED's to fit? If you buy higher output LED bulbs, they compare well with the standard G4 tungsten. Buy a 2 or 3watt LED cluster bulb and its brighter. Colours also vary with warm white, which is slightly yellow or cool white which is slightly blue but very bright

Sorry for so many questions
Questions are good, as it also helps others thinking the same thing but dont want to ask :thumb:
Thanks

:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back