Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
A quicky or 2?

EHU cables, is there any restriction on home-made cables on sites (wardens named elf and his mate safety spring to mind) ?

if not then what rated cable should I use to make one up.

If making one for home use, can I just put a standard 13amp plug for the domestic end?

Cheers
2dogs

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It would be sensible to just use the correct ready made leads available, /Then if anyone gets hurt you cant be sued.

Otherwise it needs to be a mimimum of 2.5mm 3 core arctic cable

Most sites dont like to see anything but standard orange though

If its just for home then still use the right cable as standard flex will perish in sunlight and temperature variations. Use a good quality ce approved and marked plug with a 16a trailing socket at the van end

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you know what you are doing there are no restrictions.

SOME caravan club wardens may insist on blue or orange but they are just jobsworths in my opinion.

recommended max length is 25mtrs

ideally you need 2.5sqmm 3 core flex (live, neutral and earth)..anything less may not be up to the job and could overheat.

as thebig1 said, arctic cable is best as it remains flexible at lower temperatures.

put any plug you want on the end.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Thanks for the replies lads,

may stick with made-up when away but home will be self made, will have to rig up an outside socket, (when I get round to it)

Cheers
2dogs

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
agree with pappajohn..

being a spark, I've always made my own .. used white, black, orange and blue.. just whatever was to hand ..

however..

orange is the recognised colour for 230v extension cables, with a max length of 25mt

oddly enough when I needed a new one for the caravan, rather than buy cable, plug and socket , it worked out just as cheap to buy a ready made up from JohnsCross Motorhomes.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the replies lads,

may stick with made-up when away but home will be self made, will have to rig up an outside socket, (when I get round to it)

Cheers
2dogs
if its 'outside' outside then make sure its fully waterproof (IP66) and RCD protected.....preferably on its own circuit, you dont want your fridge etc switched off if it trips

i have two dedicated motorhome sockets outside my garage and used the same type 'euro' sockets as you would find on a campsite hookup post.....both waterproof with flip-up covers.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi Jim, being a fellow sparky, you do realise that your advice could be dangerous. Not looking for an argument, but standard flex, being the most common available in white not only discolours but actually cracks when used outdoors long term. I am only going by what the op said and assumed this was for a hook up at home, which is likely to be outside pretty much permanently. Not good if somebody else doesnt realise the risks and gets a belt from it when its damp:winky:

As I say no offence intended, but with the current paranoia about electrical safety feel it just needed to be mentioned:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Before we start:cry:

the hookup for home will only be used prior to a trip, will be on the ground for minimum time, will probably have less degradation through elements than the mower cable.

Cheers
2dogs

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim, being a fellow sparky, you do realise that your advice could be dangerous. Not looking for an argument, but standard flex, being the most common available in white not only discolours but actually cracks when used outdoors long term. I am only going by what the op said and assumed this was for a hook up at home, which is likely to be outside pretty much permanently. Not good if somebody else doesnt realise the risks and gets a belt from it when its damp:winky:

As I say no offence intended, but with the current paranoia about electrical safety feel it just needed to be mentioned:thumb:

Hi .. no offence taken, I've had enough arguments tonight to last a lifetime..

of course it's important to use the correct cable.. but .. I've never come across white pvc flex that degraded any quicker than coloured.. how long is long term ?

I used a piece for about 10 years for my home EHU cable.. yes, it turned yellowish but I never saw any signs of cracking ...

Just had a look at a cable supplier .. this is what they say about white PVC flex.

2.5mm 3 Core 20A White PVC insulated / PVC sheathed circular light flexible cords 300 / 500 volts, BS6500, Harmonised Code H03VV-F.

NORMAL USUAGE: Suitable for use in domestic situations and applications including: Washing Machines, Refrigerators, Power Tools. May be used indoors and outdoors.

so, provided it is to BS6500.. I can't see the issue from a safety point..

Also.. irrespective of colour.. the cable should be inspected EVERY TIME before use... any signs of cuts, kinks or cracking .. BIN IT .
I've lost count of the number of cables I've had damaged on airs and camp sites abroad due to cars / vans running over them..

My advice is to buy ready made up.. then no one can accuse me of endangering them..

Upvote 0

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
When you see the cables used in France and Spain, I doubt any thought is
given to health and safety. Even the hook ups leave a lot to be desired, and
I'm not a sparky.:Eeek:
Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed
The correct cables are cheap enough to buy,and like most I have a small
adaptor lead to connect to uk 13amp standard socket and also 2 pin version
for use abroad.

regards
Steve

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
if your thinking of useing "white" cable to save on lenth as you dont need 25mts at home, why not buy a proper cable, cut one end to suit your home requiments, and make up a short extension for use in the van with the rest, so say 10mts at home, 15mts in van plus normal 25mts ....job sorted

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I had a proper pukka 10 metre cable..If I remember correctly I got it at the Peterborough show...from one of the stalls at the show..one of the established ones but the name escapes me..I was on one site a C&CC site and the warden got a bit sniffy about me using it..as it wasn't and I quote "Regulation Length" cable...Now to me what is the point of using a 25 metre cable when a 10 metre will do when the EHU point was next to the van..saves a load of cable all over the place...STILL!!!

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
25 metre length and 2.5 csa conductors is a specific design criteria to ensure the earth loop impedance is low enough for the rcd to trip within its permitted disconnection time in the event of fault. Keep is simple and safe. I like scouts idea!
EDIT
I should say max length and minimum conductor size. A shorter cable is always better

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes got our two from them

agree with pappajohn..

being a spark, I've always made my own .. used white, black, orange and blue.. just whatever was to hand ..

however..

orange is the recognised colour for 230v extension cables, with a max length of 25mt

oddly enough when I needed a new one for the caravan, rather than buy cable, plug and socket , it worked out just as cheap to buy a ready made up from JohnsCross Motorhomes.

we purchased both lengths from them and they were just as cheap in the end.. and it saved making them up... I have a couple I did make up for the awning 110v lights on the RV.. used orange wire still.

Bob

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
we purchased both lengths from them and they were just as cheap in the end.. and it saved making them up... I have a couple I did make up for the awning 110v lights on the RV.. used orange wire still.

Bob

tisk tisk Bob.. :Doh:

ORANGE ??? ... you will be thrown off the site ....

don't you know YELLOW is the correct colour for 110v ... :winky:

:roflmto:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I carry a short (7m) cable as well as the long one, have very occasionally had to join them together. I really need to get round to getting a 10m cable instead as my short one is very often a foot or so too short when the post is close. Its the length it is cause I had a bit left over from something else.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could be a problem on some C&CC or CC site with mine then.....it still has the original Black 50amp cable which is hardwired into the transformer with a eurosocket on the end. :Doh:

the wardens will probably faint !:roflmto:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
could be a problem on some C&CC or CC site with mine then.....it still has the original Black 50amp cable which is hardwired into the transformer with a eurosocket on the end. :Doh:

the wardens will probably faint !:roflmto:

.. so did my RV John..

just for info.. from the Club website , note the BS Number as I advised in a previous post.

B* CONNECTING CABLE harmonised code H07RN-F or H05VV-F or[HI] equivalent (BS6007 or
6500)[/HI] 25 metres maximum ( + or – 2 metres) long of three core cable [live (brown), neutral (blue) and earth (green/yellow)] each core of 2.5mm2 section.

Shorter cables may not reach from the bollard to your van on some sites and
extra connector cables to add length are NOT recommended. The Club cannot accept
responsibility for any damage or injury caused by the use of extra connector cables. [HI]It is
recommended[/HI] that the cable is coloured orange for visibility in long grass

NOTE ... colour ADVISED .. NOT compulsory ..

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back