A Viewing of my Motorhome tonight (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Yes, Tonight I have a viewing, not being sold, just a colleague and his wife from work coming for a look and to glean as much info as possible.
They have two young girls and a few quid to spare.

Even with all my experience, I can't think of what advice I should give in choosing?

So before he comes round,

Here's your chance to help him out, and make sure I don't forget something. :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Tell him about RVs:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
You wont forget anything Haggers. Once you kick off talking you wont be able to stop. Seriously though a big thing now is fuel type and consumption, maintenance and servicing and spares.
Jim

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We found a checklist of essentials and desirables valuable before we went searching for our replacement. It gave us a chance to think about what we needed/wanted before viewing any vans and an easy tool for comparison of options after we had looked round.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
What on earth are you people like? :Eeek:

Call yourselves Funsters?

Simply refer the interested party(s) to Motorhome Fun and get them to buy the Motorhome Buyers Guide... (Isn't it free if they join?) :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Sorry, off topic, but what ya buying::bigsmile:

Lesley

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Id advise to get a fully winterised van with diesel heating every time.
Then all the usual stuff like lay on beds , sit on loos , stand in showers , bunks for the kids. Big fridge , good payload .
Plenty lounging space fro the cold wet evenings you get , especially if you plan on using it all year round.
Then tell them to join MHF of course.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Cooking arrangements - oven or not? I have a pet hate of those vans with the 'eye level' ovens - downright dangerous if you are my height (5' 4") or less. And most foreign vans don't seem to have 'proper' ovens, if at all.

I also like our 3 gas/1 elec hob arrangement. I also like worksurface on both sides of the cooker. I see vans - including some RVs - where the cooker is right next to the end of a settee and think, Yup - just waiting for me to spill an entire frying pan full of bacon and sausage etc straight onto that upholstery ....

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Yes, Tonight I have a viewing, not being sold, just a colleague and his wife from work coming for a look and to glean as much info as possible.
They have two young girls and a few quid to spare.

Even with all my experience, I can't think of what advice I should give in choosing?

So before he comes round,

Here's your chance to help him out, and make sure I don't forget something. :thumb:

Which van Paul, your Adria or your new one ?

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Forget about bells and whistles just tell them where you've been and what you've done and dancing to your own tune not some tour organiser especially with young ones!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
To quote your good self Paul..

We should be warning people that due to the appalling level of craftmanship of motorhoming building, if you aint got a screwdriver and knowledge of how to use it, Then Stick to hotels.

or buy a German built van ...

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
just check with them that motorhoming (moving on holidays) is what they want, or would caravanning ( more static holidays) be right for the, particularly with two small kids.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
with young kids. tell them about the main clubs and rallying. We loved it as our daughter was growing up as we have a huge circle of friends and she had loads of other kids to have fun with. Now weve got older and prefer the sedate life where you are not tied to specific dates

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Cooking arrangements - oven or not? I have a pet hate of those vans with the 'eye level' ovens - downright dangerous if you are my height (5' 4") or less. And most foreign vans don't seem to have 'proper' ovens, if at all.

I also like our 3 gas/1 elec hob arrangement. I also like worksurface on both sides of the cooker. I see vans - including some RVs - where the cooker is right next to the end of a settee and think, Yup - just waiting for me to spill an entire frying pan full of bacon and sausage etc straight onto that upholstery ....

Quite right, especially as the little ones like to Bake, and Nikki at only 5ft used to find our continental ovens a night mare, used to have steps in the van for he to see them.

Which van Paul, your Adria or your new one ?

My Adria is now sold Kath. Shame as it would of been ideal for them. :thumb:

To quote your good self Paul..

or buy a German built van ...

Jim I have so waited for this so so so waited for this and I cant bloody find it, Please go and look at the post from the poor chap who had water under his cooker and couldn't fathom out where it was from? then come back and remind me about the screwdrivers he needs to fix his GERMAN hymer :winky:

just check with them that motorhoming (moving on holidays) is what they want, or would caravanning ( more static holidays) be right for the, particularly with two small kids.

Wise advice Cycle, but, The very same was said to me by Nikki's Dad when we had a caravan. He told me that I would be mad and motorhoming is not for a family, I know he looks down on us now realising just how wrong he was. I have had moving on holidays and static holidays with only bikes to get around on. What better way to get your family fit and together? I love being in my MH when we are overtaken or overtaking a Caravan with 3 kids and loads of other kit squashed in to the back, looking back I just cant help but think, how sure I am that we made the right decision. Good advice nonetheless.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Don't forget Haggers. We need a full report back on tonight s gathering.
Jim
:Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
One word will do it Paul..

LAYOUT

We are all so different.. They find the right layout and they will not look back ( except in the mirrors as they drive off in to the sunset of course ! )

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
tell 'em to buy a caravan Paul....

damn it !!!!....I'm thinking out loud again, aint I :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun