Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
On a fibreglass body should I use a marine GRP polish? if so what brand... and is there an equivalent to T cut for GRP to get the deep down road dirt off?

Bob

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Starbright is a marine GRP cleaner. It is made in the states but you can buy it off the web or a ships chandler. Its very good. This stuff will get deep down and clear away all heavy grime and black streaks. There are a number of Starbright products, the one that I have used is the Black streak remover.
Jim
:Smile:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I have used Starbrite with great success, not cheap, but very good.

Link Removed

Brisey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Bob, I have always 'sparingly' used 'Jiff' Cream Cleaner to get to the deep down GRP stains and then made sure that I used a good 'standard' wax polish to protect the resulting surface.

I think that is now called 'Ziff' Cream Cleaner - it is slightly abrasive but recommended for most 'plastic' cleaning problems - and as long as you don't scrub it in with a pumice stone, I have never had a problem with it.

Never thought of marine wax - good idea, though - so I await others comments.:thumb:

Dick

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Never thought of marine wax - good idea, though - so I await others comments.:thumb:
Dick

Iv'e never bee able to find a true wax polish for GRP, whether it be marine or otherwise. The Starbrite is as near to a cut as I would like to get on painted GRP.
Jim

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
One of the best, and last`s..

If it`s OK for a saltwater inviroment it`s OK for an RV...

Not cheap, but IMHO one of the best.. :thumb:

Attachments

• 420227.jpg
    420227.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 86
OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Thanks all for the response

Thanks all for the response, Sue is visiting our son tomorrow and he lives just outside Brighton so she is going in to the Marina shop to see what is available ....

Will advise in due course.. but any others.. keep them coming

Bob

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Bob, I have always 'sparingly' used 'Jiff' Cream Cleaner to get to the deep down GRP stains and then made sure that I used a good 'standard' wax polish to protect the resulting surface.

I think that is now called 'Ziff' Cream Cleaner - it is slightly abrasive but recommended for most 'plastic' cleaning problems - and as long as you don't scrub it in with a pumice stone, I have never had a problem with it.

Dick

I also used Ciff ,on my fishing boat, excellent for getting the stains out made by the cooling water outlet, its worth a cheap try

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
We had an Auto-sleeper Talisman and they recommended Farecla fibre glass cleaner as they made it assumed they knew best, it acts something like T cut so is advisable not to use too often as could damage top coat, we only needed to use once after about 3 years and when we sold it about 18months later still looked great.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
One of the best, and last`s..

If it`s OK for a saltwater inviroment it`s OK for an RV...

Not cheap, but IMHO one of the best.. :thumb:

Will you have some at Marjal, Mo?

You could show us how good it is there... I can supply a vehicle to use for this demonstration... at a very reasonable price... :winky:

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yours is not fibreglass JJ??????

If I recall JJ your is not fibreglass ??????:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But get Mo to give you a demo.. see if he breaks in to one doing it.

Bob:Sad:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Will you have some at Marjal, Mo?

You could show us how good it is there... I can supply a vehicle to use for this demonstration... at a very reasonable price... :winky:

Sorry JJ,,,, due to lack of space I had to leave the 45 gallon drum of the stuff back home... :RollEyes:::bigsmile:

Anyway I dont do "Polishing"..... :Cool:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I used Farecla Gel coat restorer last year. Very good results from a one-step treatment: it restored the front of the Hymer to white, where it had tended to 'yellow' a little. I got it from a marine chandlers (in Southampton I think, but cannot remember which one).
http://www.farecla.com/#/268

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We met a guy in France with a 20yr old M/Home (forget the make now) it was absolutely immaculate and so well polished it seemed to glow :Smile:
He told me had used Meguiares products on it.
Mike.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Farecla make cutting paste - the proper stuff traditionally used by the car body trade when coachlines were painted with a feather and before T-cut was invented ...... cutting paste and elbow grease ..... excellent products.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We've used MER for years now on boats, MHs, trucks, cars et al. Tried others, good bad & indifferent, always had best results with Mer. It's effortless to use, can be applied in sunshine,removes tarspots, black streaks and so on - and it's not abrasive... :Smile:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I can also recommend the Starbrite cleaner/polish - have used it for years on GRP boats.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Just a cautionary note. Many GRP restorers or T cut will fade and take colour out of any graphics on your van, so where possible avoid getting the compound on them

simon555

Free Member
Dec 19, 2011
Burton Upon Trent
Funster No
MH
Class C RV
Exp
Since 03/2011
Hi all, my first post on here ::bigsmile: so here goes ....

I would recommend a product called Chineshine, developed for getting the water line and associated gunge that builds up on GRP boats white again.

Having used most of the 'named' products on my boat and RV I can and do completely advise to try Chineshine first, its very simple to apply, i used a 3" paint brush and small emulsion roller on my boat, apply it as you would wallpaper paste, about a meter SQ at a time, sit back for 10 minutes and watch it work....amazing stuff, then just hose off and apply a good quality wax.

It's not very often nowadays that we find anything that does what it says on the tin :RollEyes:.... well it's in a plastic bottle :thumb:

There are a few clips on youtube showing it at work, if you care to take a look.

Simon

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Brian
Your right it's not cheap but more importantly, how far does a bottle go?
Tony

Hi Tony, I think we used 1/2 - 3/4 of a bottle when we last did our van, which in honesty was quite dull & dirty. It is worth looking around on the net for the best price, marine chandlers are expensive.

Brian

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If I recall JJ your is not fibreglass ??????:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But get Mo to give you a demo.. see if he breaks in to one doing it.

Bob:Sad:

Milud... Objection... I would like to draw the prosecution's notice to the fact that Hymer 660s from 1987 had and still have a fibre glass, curved edged roof...

My client is upset that his knowledge is being questioned here... His wisdom in these matters has never ever been challenged before...

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Sorry JJ,,,, due to lack of space I had to leave the 45 gallon drum of the stuff back home... :RollEyes:::bigsmile:

Anyway I dont do "Polishing"..... :Cool:

What a shame... never mind...

I would never have expected you to do the polishing yourself Mo... I would have [STRIKE]tricked[/STRIKE] persuaded other Funsters to help with that job.. :winky:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Milud... Objection... I would like to draw the prosecution's notice to the fact that Hymer 660s from 1987 had and still have a fibre glass, curved edged roof...JJ :Cool:
That surprises me, you learn something new every day.
Jim

littlehouse

Free Member
Jan 25, 2011
Decize France
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Driver 52
Exp
fibreglass polish

Clive and i have fibreglass business. Farecla G3 from any good motor shop will give a great shine. You can water the polish down a little it will go an awful long way. Once you have polished it give it a coat with a good car wax and it should last several month. If your camper is very dull you should polish with soft polishing machine. Good Luck :thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
OK got the Starbright

OK got the star bright to do the job.. not cheap... had to get it from Brighton Marina .. busy shop, packed.. talk about no money.. busy, very busy.. worse than ASDA giving stuff away cheap.

Anyway hopefully with the weather being right this weekend a start will be made on the RV..

see if the Russian I have hired does a good job or not.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back