What's the best RV for you. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
RVtravel.com editor Chuck Woodbury highlights the differences between the several types of recreational vehicles -- motorhomes, travel trailers, fifth wheel trailers, pop ups and truck campers.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKSUYVoKEC0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKSUYVoKEC0[/ame]

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Anything sub 20 ft for us ::bigsmile:no fifth wheel,demountable or trailer tent.
terry

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Started serious motorhoming although I had played at it for many years with an Elddis Autostratus then went to a 38ft Rockwood RV, found this a bit to big and downsized to a 31ft Tiffin. Then tried a 16ft VW coachbuilt and found I preferred the touring aspect better than sitting in one place all the time. Although I loved the VW it was just not big enough for comfort so up sized again to a 20ft Tabbert which I find the perfect size and layout for ME at the moment. But circumstances can always change.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
mine is 23'6"

Anything sub 20 ft for us ::bigsmile:no fifth wheel,demountable or trailer tent.
terry

My Winnebago is 23'6" .. have a look at the red link below.. let it load and you get an idea of a B class that is no bigger than a european and has all the goodies.

Bob

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
25ft is perfect for us at the moment gives us the space and storage we need for a 3 month trip but small enough to go where we want and tag axle makes it very stable with massive payload.::bigsmile:
Done the whiole Rv thing from 36ft to 29ft too much planning not able to just tour and poor payload was too high a trade off for the comfort, plus poor insulation on Rvs kept us from the ski resorts which we love to do.:Sad:
We will probably go smaller again as we get older but certainly wont go bigger, for now 25ft tag axle fits the bill.:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
The only issue with tag axles is

The only issue with Tax axles is that municipal sites in France will not allow them to stop as they consider that they are gypsies...

Our 23' 6" Winnebago Apsect has a slide and sleeps four.. has the usual American fridge and Freezer separate doors.. cooker, microwave combo oven, massive bathroom .. has a 4 kw genny as standard ... insulation is fine we have found, plus we have the blast heater and of course hot water boiler.. plenty of room and the right size.. hunted two years to find it.

Bob

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
My Winnebago is 23'6" .. have a look at the red link below.. let it load and you get an idea of a B class that is no bigger than a european and has all the goodies.

Bob
Yes,nice Bob :thumb: but it also has a bloody big thirsty v8/10engine and at that length it is a tad too long to park around town etc hence sub 20 ft:winky:
terry

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
When dad passed away, wife went and my 2 lovely Great Danes passed away had no use any more for 35ft RV..............at the time I had my family especially the dogs both 15 stone only vehicle suitable really.......

Now its just me really happy now with my 6mtr A Class German van :Cool: good size to do most everything...............only downside is front wheel drive..............

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi again Bob how long is the van from the cab ?IE back of front seats?
terry

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

The only issue with Tax axles is that municipal sites in France will not allow them to stop as they consider that they are gypsies...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
no idea - but mostly wasted space

Hi again Bob how long is the van from the cab ?IE back of front seats?
terry

never measured it Terry, but above the cab is the entertainment centre and two storage cupboards.. we have a 26" 230v mains flat screen and a DVD player plus the tv satellite control box plus wing cupboards and a set of speakers each side. so the space is not all wasted.. otherwise it is a V10 6.8 ltr Ford engine with two captain's chairs in the front.

It is te back end that has all the room.. with the slide out taking the dinning table out (also one of the double beds) and the rock and roll settee the other double bed... the bathroom is across the back.. and it is large.. Winnebago managed to fir a lot in to the size.. it is on the E350 Super Duty chassis .. same as US Ambulances use... considering it is about the size of a large European and often smaller this baby has it all and more.

We have fitted air suspension to the rear, a 1500 watt pure sin wave inverter. Free to air dome satellite, a VanBitz alarm system... Back up camera etc., as you can see the buy price was £28k (had been reduced from £37k) had just over 7k miles on the clock plus was just over 4 years old and unregistered when we got it. Compared to a European cost wise and what you get that is a bargain.. OK the fuel hits.. but at 5.5 tons all up and 75 tons with the trailer and car we get about 14 mpg including running the genny. Could have had LPG fitted but the buy costs v the use it was not worth it.. only person to gain will be the next owner.

We are thinking of upgrading later this year.. so it may come on the market then. But as far as RV's go at 23'6" it is small.. but does have duel wheels so very steady...

Bob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
predictive text for you

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Predictive text for you.. might as well be a tax rather than a tag..:cry:

Bob

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
OK the fuel hits.. but at 5.5 tons all up and 75 tons with the trailer and car we get about 14 mpg including running the genny. Bob

Bob, is 75 tons a typo. How do you know for sure that you are getting 14 mpg out of it.

I only ask because I have a Ford V10, 6.8 Litre.
Jim
:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes 75 tons is a 7.5 tons

Bob, is 75 tons a typo. How do you know for sure that you are getting 14 mpg out of it.

I only ask because I have a Ford V10, 6.8 Litre.
Jim

Yes Jim a typo.. do a lot of them these days.. old age is my excuse ..cannot really blame the Mac can I...

I have calculated the mileage over a vast amount of routes and come out with between 14 and 15 to the gallon.. that also includes use of the genny at shows .. I use it a fair amount to charge the scooters.. 3 hours to 4 a day.. I also took reading on fuel costs on long runs to the South of France and back twice and allowed for the Tarn Gorge which dropped to 10 mpg .. so after 3 years of calculating general use, motorway and non motorway it has come out to about 14 mpg.... I thought it would increase when I started to haul the car trailer rather than the smaller disabled scooter trailer.. but it has not made much of a difference.

Notice a slower get away from lights and more braking needed for roundabout and coming down to light.. just driving style.... but the overall file has not really altered that much.. yes in the mountains but as I do not drive mountains every day it is an average I would say it runs at...

it is has the V10 6.8 engine on the slightly lighter E350 super duty chassis hence my 7.5 tons overall with the trailer. But even at the 5.5 tons it still returned about the same.

My last V8 A class RV at 32' returned about 8 mpg... so the V10 (modern fuel injected engine) is much better.

Bob:thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Thanks Bob, that all makes sense. I havent really done a lot of fuel consumption calculations, my view being that there's nought that I can do about it. :winky:

If I had to guess I'd say 14mpg

I do have an unconscious knowledge of how far a full tank will get me but that's just experience and depends a lot on route terrain. Not that I very often have a full tank you understand. :roflmto:
Jim

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Bob
Are you confusing twin axle caravans with tag axle motorhomes Bob. I have heard of the urban myth that some sites don't allow twin axle caravans but having owned a Lord Munsterland and a Roma,both twin axle and both pulled with an American pick up truck I have never been turned away from any site both in Europe and the UK. Having said that I have been refused electric hookup with an American RV because of the huge amount of electricity they consume but that was admittedly only twice.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I agree not a lot we can do about it

Thanks Bob, that all makes sense. I havent really done a lot of fuel consumption calculations, my view being that there's nought that I can do about it. :winky:

If I had to guess I'd say 14mpg

I do have an unconscious knowledge of how far a full tank will get me but that's just experience and depends a lot on route terrain. Not that I very often have a full tank you understand. :roflmto:
Jim

I agree Jim, not a lot we can do about it (fuel), but consolation prize is that the American RV has a lot more of those creature comforts than a European does. Plus a lot more room.. OK we pay for that by the fuel and the mpg we get, but it was our choice. I have had plenty of chances to go back to a European motorhome over the past 25 years.. had one at the start and doubt these days I would ever consider one. But that is personal choice.. But 14 miles to the gallon has been what I have found over the past 3 years and I have cover 10,000 miles just over in that time... so I think it is about right.

Bob

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Are you confusing twin axle caravans with tag axle motorhomes Bob. I have heard of the urban myth that some sites don't allow twin axle caravans but having owned a Lord Munsterland and a Roma,both twin axle and both pulled with an American pick up truck I have never been turned away from any site both in Europe and the UK. Having said that I have been refused electric hookup with an American RV because of the huge amount of electricity they consume but that was admittedly only twice.

Like wise, towed a twin axle Lunar all over France, Spain, Switzerland and Uk and was never refused a entry to a site .. but on more than one occasion been refused entry with the RV

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I can confirm over a 3-4000 mile trip along side Rory and his diesel powered Damon we both averaged circa 14 to the gallon mine being the same as Bobs 6.8 V10 pulling 7.5 ton
Even though Rory tried to cheat by not counting the 8 gallon of petrol he had put in his diesel tank by the bloody Morrocans:Doh:::bigsmile:
Geo

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
The V10 6.8 Triton is very good engine

I can confirm over a 3-4000 mile trip along side Rory and his diesel powered Damon we both averaged circa 14 to the gallon mine being the same as Bobs 6.8 V10 pulling 7.5 ton
Even though Rory tried to cheat by not counting the 8 gallon of petrol he had put in his diesel tank by the bloody Morrocans:Doh:::bigsmile:
Geo

The 6.8 V10 Ford triton is a very good engine (petrol).. Remember mine is only 23'6" long on the E350 chassis so if I did not include my genny fuel I am sure I would do better.. but I do include the use as the fuel is taken from the main fuel tank.. plus these days (last year) have pulled the Brain James 20' car trailer with my Hyundai Matrix on board.. still under the 8.25 tons mass... but with a modern engine like the V10 6.8 Triton we do get a reasonable return on them.

Not all yanks drink the fuel like people think.

As for the tag axles, thanks.. not have had one.. it is what I hear and having that view corrected is good - thanks

Bob

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
They don't necessarily refuse tag axles but do other strange things. The Campeole site at Carcassonne in theory allowed them but had an increased charge for EHU, standard charge something like €3 a night, tag axle €25 a night. This site is now a municipal so may have changed the rules. When I was booking in on one occasion a tag axle van turned up and the receptionist told them they were full (which they weren't by a long way).

I have been told that it's to keep the gypsies off, but have also been told that it's because of the damage to the ground as when turning a tag axle the wheels necessarily scrub sideways and of course with front wheel drive the driven wheels are more likely to slip.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Geo

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Ha Ha we had a good time did'nt we.
remember this

Attachments

• Morocco003.jpg
    Morocco003.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Morocco 146.jpg
    Morocco 146.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 20

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

Well there's a first time for everything I suppose:Sad:

I've never been turned away in a tag axle:Smile:
I've never been called a gypsie before:winky:
but
I have been turned away in an Rv on numerous occasions:cry:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We haven't owned a tag-axle anything but some biker friends of ours, with a tag caravan, told us in about 2003 that certain sites in France refused them entry - the fact they towed their van with a Transit made things worse.

They aren't gypsies by the way - they just liked taking their Honda Blackbird on holiday and as he had a Transit for his business, plus they had a small car, it just made sense to use the van for towing rather than buying a larger car and not taking the Bird.

After having that conversation during the winter, and our saying we'd never heard of it - the following summer off we went to France on our own Bird, and we stayed on a campsite in Burgundy. One day we had a wander round St Honore les Bains, which had a camping municipal and they had a sign up saying no entry to either tag-axles OR vans! Plus there was a 3.5t weight limit on the entrance bridge anyway.

But TBH - not that we actually look specifically - that's the only one I have ever seen.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We haven't owned a tag-axle anything but some biker friends of ours, with a tag caravan, told us in about 2003 that certain sites in France refused them entry - the fact they towed their van with a Transit made things worse.

They aren't gypsies by the way - they just liked taking their Honda Blackbird on holiday and as he had a Transit for his business, plus they had a small car, it just made sense to use the van for towing rather than buying a larger car and not taking the Bird.

After having that conversation during the winter, and our saying we'd never heard of it - the following summer off we went to France on our own Bird, and we stayed on a campsite in Burgundy. One day we had a wander round St Honore les Bains, which had a camping municipal and they had a sign up saying no entry to either tag-axles OR vans! Plus there was a 3.5t weight limit on the entrance bridge anyway.

But TBH - not that we actually look specifically - that's the only one I have ever seen.

Only needed a height barrier and they could have excluded everyone :ROFLMAO:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
The best Rv for me is the one I have......though should I want to tour Morroco which one day we will the my RV is totally unsuitable I would want something smaller and less value so if it got scratched I wouldn't be too worried.......plus I would tow something different to what I do now....so I guess the ideal RV depends on your needs at the time you own it.......hence what I have always said people will buy what they can afford and what suits their needs.

All the best Rick

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Very true Rick ..

why I now have a caravan .. :winky:

Jim, please don't buy one of those dirty big plastic awnings, carpeted throughout with plastic grass making you lord and master of all you survey.
Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back