Which is the best awning? (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As far as I know the choice is between the Fiamma or the Omnistor, I have had both and they are both good, though expensive and very similar to each other. If I was looking I would probably just go on price.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
I see some have 2 legs for when the awning is out, and some have stays attached to the body of the MH, have you used both R R ?

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I see some have 2 legs for when the awning is out, and some have stays attached to the body of the MH, have you used both R R ?

Thanks

I'm sure you will find that both types have an option for brackets to be fitted on the side of the m/h to which the legs can be fitted instead of down to the ground.

I have never used these brackets as I feel there is more chance of damage to the van if they slip or in a strong wind, so I always fix to the ground.

Brian

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Buy a Fiamma and get it fitted free in our workshops

The brackets on the side of the van are available but should be used with caution due to wind although you can also tie down the awning with straps as well.

Peter

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I wouldn't call these awnings, I would call them roll out sunshades. To me an awning is one of these plastic mansions that tuggers erect, masters of all they survey.

I do know what you mean though. I have and A&E Roll Out Sunshade and have often thought of taking it off and fitting a lighter Fiamma Zip type that most euro vans use.
Jim
:Smile:
Edit: I wonder what the Insurance Companies definition of an awning is.

Last edited:

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
I have the Fiamma zip system which is easy to put up. The omnistor is good too, but don't have a zip system as far as I know.

Shirl

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
With the outboard legs, is it possible to adjust the height?

Was thinking that 'sunshades' will be fitted at different heights for different MH's so the angle over any door that opens will alter?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010

Was thinking that 'sunshades' will be fitted at different heights for different MH's so the angle over any door that opens will alter?

Winblockers have a sizing chart or will tailor to suit at a fair price and yes the legs on both makes of suncanopy are height adjustable. If it is going to rain ALWAYS set them at a slope. Of course manufacturers would say wind it in.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

We have a Fiamma. There is quite a range of height adjustment on the legs which are sort of telescopic.

I normally leave one leg a little lower than the other, so just in case it rains heavily, then the rain water will drain away easily and not gather on the awning weighing it down.

Callum

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Winblockers have a sizing chart or will tailor to suit at a fair price and yes the legs on both makes of suncanopy are height adjustable. If it is going to rain ALWAYS set them at a slope. Of course manufacturers would say wind it in.

So would I.
Jim
:roflmto:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
as said Fiamma and omnistor are much of a muchness and are completely adjustable legs.
i have just had a new Fiamma 45 S fitted its the new model and looks a lot better than the older 45 Ti . it also has 2 channels in the front that you can add rain / sun blockers. the awnings are reletavely easy to fit but i would recommend it done by a workshop as it really does need to be straight and true.
also, either add the rain seal you can buy to the small gap between the awning and the van wall or simply run some mastic to stop the rain running down between the awning and the van... its pain, but easy to stop.:thumb:

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Most photos I've seen are with the legs down rather than stays. It does look as though the stays would be easy to walk into and of course the sockets have to be fitted in precise places, don't they?

We only want a short sun shade really as we always move on after a few days, well we did in our first M Homing life. We had a sun shade then and only used it 2 or 3 times in 5 years, but expect being 10 years older we may stop for 3 days at a time now!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Stays are impossible on mine as one is on a weak corner moulding and the back would be a locker door :cry:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have had fiamma and omnistor and the omnistor does seem to be built better. I sell awning blocker panels and rooms so I see quite a lot of awnings and I hear of more issues with the fiamma especially the longer ones.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Most photos I've seen are with the legs down rather than stays. It does look as though the stays would be easy to walk into and of course the sockets have to be fitted in precise places, don't they?

We only want a short sun shade really as we always move on after a few days, well we did in our first M Homing life. We had a sun shade then and only used it 2 or 3 times in 5 years, but expect being 10 years older we may stop for 3 days at a time now!

Use of wall mounts is not advised by most dealers. The stresses put on the sides of the van can cause damage, and as modern vans seem to have lots of openings for lockers, garages and windows etc. most panels have already been weakened.

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Awnings

I have had fiamma and omnistor and the omnistor does seem to be built better. I sell awning blocker panels and rooms so I see quite a lot of awnings and I hear of more issues with the fiamma especially the longer ones.

Absolutely right Jezport, i have swapped from a T45 Zip to an Omnistor with clip on sides. The three way hinge that the legs attach with on the Fiamma are plastic and are "designed" to be the weak point. Thats fine but I had two fail and ended up carrying spares with me. The Omnistor bracket is aluminium, the clip system is very similar in time to put up to the zip system. In our experience, they are both something you will use occasionally at best.

Phil

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Iv'e seen sunshades buckle and collapse under massive rain deluges. I have a very heavy A&E Awning/Sunshade unlike the very light Fiamma/Omnistor type that has been placed in real jeopardy from bad weather.

Dropping one corner to allow for drainage wont do it when the rain is torrential, but, its everybody to their own.

Jim

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Iv'e seen sunshades buckle and collapse under massive rain deluges. I have a very heavy A&E Awning/Sunshade unlike the very light Fiamma/Omnistor type that has been placed in real jeopardy from bad weather.

Dropping one corner to allow for drainage wont do it when the rain is torrential, but, its everybody to their own.

Jim
Dropping a corner and using tensioner bar/bars will work though.

Phil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back