Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Iv'e been looking around for a new van and I was surfing the dealers tonight , just browsing seeing if anything caught my eye . Saw something on the Wellbridge motorhomes site based in Cambridge and enquired on their reply option on their site stating I had a Elddis 100 2010 model for trade in with 8K on the clock and a few extras fitted . This was about 8pm tonight 5 minutes later the phone goes and someone from Wellbridge offers me 17K for my van in trade in ..... My first thought was why this late on a Saturday night ?? And 17K I know thats a terrible offer and when I says "your having a laugh" he say's " the 100 dont sell if it had been the 200 model you would have had a better offer " At that point I hung up .:Eeek:

Is this normal dealer behaviour ? Phoning so late on a Saturday and has anyone had dealings with Wellbridge ? Or has someone intercepted the e-mail ? It was all very strange .

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
I have no idea about this company,. but I will offer you £18k plus a Blackie`s egg and half a conker , oh go on then I will even throw in a half chewed toffee!!:RollEyes::RollEyes:

OP
OP
blamehofman

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
I have no idea about this company,. but I will offer you £18k plus a Blackie`s egg and half a conker , oh go on then I will even throw in a half chewed toffee!!:RollEyes::RollEyes:

Four cans of Guinness and you have a deal :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
Seriously mate, if he is only offering £17k then it laughable.
It must be worth at least £28-30 at a rough guess.
God knows how much mark up they want!!!!!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Seriously mate, if he is only offering £17k then it laughable.
It must be worth at least £28-30 at a rough guess.
God knows how much mark up they want!!!!!

Sorry Mad mark, but not a chance.

Sounds to me like its a genuine trade offer. less than what you would expect, but dealers are out to make money.

Many would of accepted the offer for various reasons. :Smile:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
wheelers & dealers

This is how these people make a very nice living, a friend of ours bought a brand new car, got £1400 part exchange for their trade in.

Two weeks later they were over in Derby and driving past a garage they saw their old car up for sale at £3295.

Nice work if you can get it.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Iv'e been looking around for a new van and I was surfing the dealers tonight , just browsing seeing if anything caught my eye . Saw something on the Wellbridge motorhomes site based in Cambridge [HI]and enquired on their reply option[/HI] on their site stating I had a Elddis 100 2010 model for trade in with 8K on the clock and a few extras fitted [HI]. This was about 8pm tonight 5 minutes later[/HI] the phone goes and someone from Wellbridge offers me 17K for my van in trade in ..... My first thought was why this late on a Saturday night ?? And 17K I know thats a terrible offer and when I says "your having a laugh" he say's " the 100 dont sell if it had been the 200 model you would have had a better offer "[HI] At that point I hung up[/HI] .:Eeek:

Is this normal dealer behaviour ? Phoning so late on a Saturday and has anyone had dealings with Wellbridge ? Or has someone intercepted the e-mail ?[HI] It was all very strange[/HI] .

As I read it, you showed an interest in getting a quote, you filled in an online questionnaire with your phone number, ... they replied very quickly .. within 5 mins.. I thought that was a plus, rather than a negative for the dealer.

You instigated the phone call, not the dealer, so why be rude by hanging up. .. the offer may be low.. have you had any others to compare ?

If they had not responded that would have been cause for complaint .. not because they did so quickly .. and why was it strange that they should call you ..

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have to agree with Jim

I must agree with Jim.. I do not think a call back within 5 minutes that bad and 8.05 p.m is not late I would have thought.

The fact you were not offered what you imagined your motorhome to be worth is neither here or there.

Often I do think people value there second hand vehicles to highly. I know one camp who paid £32k for his vehicle.. had to spend a few grand putting it right them wanted to sell it for £34k (adding his repair to the value):Sad:

I paid £28k for my RV.. have a look if you wish at the link below in red.. let it load and you can see some rather nice pictures.. no it is not for sale at this time. I spent £14 and lots of goodies for it. Does it make it worth more? No.... OK the dealer had it up for £37,500 at the start and in the end he came down to the £28k ??? why, he had it in stock to long and unregistered... I had the cash and the rest is history as they say.

The fact I spent a lot of money on the RV and it is much more desirable now with air suspension, satellite TV, Sterling 1500 watt investor, VanBitz Alarm, backup camera etc., and a hundred extras... When I do come to sell it I will try and see private I will set a reasonable value on it taking in the market conditions and the vehicles... but sense will be applied rather than dreams.

Bob

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It's the same as when you sell a house, isn't it? - last year you spent X thousand on renewing double glazing and this year another X thousand on a new CH boiler.

This does not actually make your house worth any more than the one 3 doors down, whose CH and DG are both 3 or 4 years old. But it might make yours sell a bit quicker than theirs.

OP
OP
blamehofman

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
As I read it, you showed an interest in getting a quote, you filled in an online questionnaire with your phone number, ... they replied very quickly .. within 5 mins.. I thought that was a plus, rather than a negative for the dealer.

You instigated the phone call, not the dealer, so why be rude by hanging up. .. the offer may be low.. have you had any others to compare ?

If they had not responded that would have been cause for complaint .. not because they did so quickly .. and why was it strange that they should call you ..

Yes in the cold light of day I suppose it was an excellent response from the dealer but he was very abrupt and came across like he was doing me a favour ... I have sent out a few enquiries in the last few weeks and every other dealer who has responded has been pleasant to talk to and the trade in offers have been around the 25k mark ... This one just seemed wrong somehow .

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Yes in the cold light of day I suppose it was an excellent response from the dealer but he was very abrupt and came across like he was doing me a favour ... I have sent out a few enquiries in the last few weeks and every other dealer who has responded has been pleasant to talk to and the trade in offers have been around the 25k mark ... This one just seemed wrong somehow .

But Hoff,

Just think how right it would of been if you had said Yes? right for the dealer of course, but that's how some make money....

I once had to sell a car at a desperately low value due to needing money quick. The dealer was laughing all the way to the forecourt, whilst i had to comfort my self knowing that I had got the money I needed to keep my head above water.:RollEyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

if you felt this was an unpleasant experience that's fair comment..

To give an example of on line quotes..

Just for a laugh I had my car 'valued' by "We Buy Any Car.com" .. they offered £2,800

I checked prices in Autotrader

Forecourt price up to £6k

Private sales.. around £5k

BUT .. at the end of the day, if I were trading in the price offered would depend largely on what I was buying..

Always best to sell private ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
blamehofman

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
But Hoff,

Just think how right it would of been if you had said Yes? right for the dealer of course, but that's how some make money....

I once had to sell a car at a desperately low value due to needing money quick. The dealer was laughing all the way to the forecourt, whilst i had to comfort my self knowing that I had got the money I needed to keep my head above water.:RollEyes:

Yes I have been in that position too Paul and realise that some will try it on and maybe an hour later after a few more beers I might have said yes :cry:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Nowt wrong with a gut feeling Hoff,its kept you alive this long
If it feels wrong to you it is wrong for you:thumb: no matter how right it looks:Cool:
Geo

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
there is a lot of difference between the phone call and the deal

My son is a buyer for We Buy Any Car. COM.... there is a lot of difference in the price quoted on line and or phone to what is offered when you take the vehicle in.. I know I sold my old Smart to them.. still did not get what was quoted... they call it sale mans puff.. or in english what is the cheapest we can rip you off for.

Bob

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
MH/RV Prices, who knows ?. I bought my mh from the states. At the time, the exchange rate was nearly 3 $ to the £ and so I got a good deal. Of course, there's all of the additional costs that are incurred when importing a vehicle to the UK.

Even now, I have no idea what the market price for my mh is, but, I know how much I would want for it.

There isn't another one in this country (that I'm aware of) to compare it with and so whether I would get it or not, who knows.
Jim
:Smile:

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
Sorry Mad mark, but not a chance.

Sounds to me like its a genuine trade offer. less than what you would expect, but dealers are out to make money.

Many would of accepted the offer for various reasons. :Smile:

I would have thought £28K would be a decent price to sell at for the dealer, so you think that £17k is a good trade price?
£11k mark up!!!!!!!!:whatthe::whatthe:

Fooking hell, I am glad I have not bought one from a dealer:Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My son is a buyer for We Buy Any Car. COM.... there is a lot of difference in the price quoted on line and or phone to what is offered when you take the vehicle in.. I know I sold my old Smart to them.. still did not get what was quoted... they call it sale mans puff.. or in english what is the cheapest we can rip you off for.

Bob

hmm why am I not surprised Bob..

should be called... We Rip You Off.Com

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
strange phone call

Hi we visited them a few years ago to buy a specific van which they were advertising. The salesman would not even offer a 1p off the asking price, and was very unhelpful, we had travelled a far distance and were very put off, would not deal with them again on principal I think there are far more pro active dealers out there.

Iv'e been looking around for a new van and I was surfing the dealers tonight , just browsing seeing if anything caught my eye . Saw something on the Wellbridge motorhomes site based in Cambridge and enquired on their reply option on their site stating I had a Elddis 100 2010 model for trade in with 8K on the clock and a few extras fitted . This was about 8pm tonight 5 minutes later the phone goes and someone from Wellbridge offers me 17K for my van in trade in ..... My first thought was why this late on a Saturday night ?? And 17K I know thats a terrible offer and when I says "your having a laugh" he say's " the 100 dont sell if it had been the 200 model you would have had a better offer " At that point I hung up .:Eeek:

Is this normal dealer behaviour ? Phoning so late on a Saturday and has anyone had dealings with Wellbridge ? Or has someone intercepted the e-mail ? It was all very strange .

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
At the risk of bricks being thrown at me I am going to stick up for dealers.......not this one in particular just in general.........so 10k profit is too much.......I would agree if I was going to get 10k but I aint, first I have the VAT to take out of that 10k then I have rent/motgage rates to pay, then I have wages to pay, Phones,electric, insurance you get the picture, then I have any repairs to do to the vehicle before I sell it, then if I am any thing of a dealer I am going to look after you after you purchased it.......Oh I wish when I was trading 3k was 3k you would be lucky if that was 500.......the other mans grass is always greener In my 40 years I saw many come and go most had been made redundant and thought all dealers were well off so they would have a go......most fell flat on their a$se witin three months.......now having said all of that I am not in any way defending bad dealers and we all know there are enough of them........but genuine dealers who look after their customers have huge overheads......even my little business employing seven people has an overhead of 30k per month, so I need 30k before I turn a light on........believe me folks it aint all profit......I wish........

All the best Rick

OP
OP
blamehofman

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
When I said "strange phonecall" thats what I meant , when I answered and said "hello" his reply was "17" not "good evening sir I am so and so from Wellbridge " I said "17 what" and he says "17 thousand for your van". Thats when it clicked it was someone phoning about my enquiry .

As a footnote I have today received a nice e-mail from Wellbridge saying someone will be in touch next week concerning my enquiry ...... Very strange :ROFLMAO:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I bought a Hymer from Wellsbridge a couple of years ago and I found them OK. I got a decent price for my Adria and the Hymer was a reasonable price, too.

Took it back for some remedial work after a few weeks and they did the job while I waited.

So as dealers go, I had no problems with them.

Pete:Cool:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Wellsbridge as far as I am aware are one of the good guys.

With reference to the other post about a £10K gross profit, I only wish we could start with that, never in a hundred sundays!

One must also bear in mind VATMAN takes aprox 18% of the gross profit before we start so lets say we start with £5k less 18% = £4100 less valeting costs £400 = £3700 less workshop recon costs average £1000 = £2700 less salesmens wages, less overheads, less warranty, less overallowance on p/x we are lucky to retain nett £1000 and we have to pay maybe £25000 CASH for the van.

I certainly do not get rich being a motorhome dealer, any one wanna buy one?

Peter

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
When I said "strange phonecall" thats what I meant , when I answered and said "hello" his reply was "17" not "good evening sir I am so and so from Wellbridge " I said "17 what" and he says "17 thousand for your van". Thats when it clicked it was someone phoning about my enquiry .

As a footnote I have today received a nice e-mail from Wellbridge saying someone will be in touch next week concerning my enquiry ...... Very strange :ROFLMAO:

Be interesting to see if Wellbridge do "get in touch" next week, and if so to ask them who called you from their company, and offered you the 17k.

Perhaps someone, employee or otherwise, intercepted your enquiry, and though they would chance their arm with a very low or silly offer.

Callum

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
wellsbridge as far as i am aware are one of the good guys.

With reference to the other post about a £10k gross profit, i only wish we could start with that, never in a hundred sundays!

One must also bear in mind vatman takes aprox 18% of the gross profit before we start so lets say we start with £5k less 18% = £4100 less valeting costs £400 = £3700 less workshop recon costs average £1000 = £2700 less salesmens wages, less overheads, less warranty, less overallowance on p/x we are lucky to retain nett £1000 and we have to pay maybe £25000 cash for the van.

I certainly do not get rich being a motorhome dealer, any one wanna buy one?

Peter

Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back