Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Does anyone know of a site within walking distance of Brimham Rocks please? Thanks because I am sure you will come up trumps :thumb:

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
I cant remember a site that close mate, but you will be able to Wild camp close by.
I have stayed at this site a few times, in a caravan though, we then drove to the Rocks.
Link Removed

Very nice site and the beer in the Pub is fantastic.
It is about 4-5 miles to Brimham Rocks from there, so you could walk iot if you like walking!!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
We usually stay at CC Knarsbrough and drive,(half hour) but there are lots of places to wild park close by :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Thanks for your replies.

Madmark - we dont mind walking so this site would have been ok but it doesnt open untill Easter and we want to go in March :Sad:

ScotJimland - I will check out Manor House Park, thanks

Terry - as for wild camping we havent done it yet. I am a little dubious because I dont understand the usage of the leisure battery. All our items kettle etc are household items. Can we use them on the leisure battery without draining it fully or blowing it up!! (if thats possible). Also there was a thread on here about blown air heating and the battery and it was a little confusing as to whether it drained it or not. Confusing or what :Confused:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
- as for wild camping we havent done it yet. I am a little dubious because I dont understand the usage of the leisure battery. All our items kettle etc are household items. Can we use them on the leisure battery without draining it fully or blowing it up!! (if thats possible). Also there was a thread on here about blown air heating and the battery and it was a little confusing as to whether it drained it or not. Confusing or what :Confused:

Consider the leisure battery as a very valuable limited resource .. If wilding, rule of thumb... don't use ANYTHING that can otherwise be done with gas..

To use any household 230v item you would need either an inverter, a big battery bank and solar panels to match .. or a genny ..

The heating fan will use 12v power .. but depending on the size of your battery should last a few days if run sparingly.

If you want to use 230v a small genny is the best option.. but it must be man enough to handle whatever you plan to use.. if only to charge then 1kw is man enough..

Unfortunately they don't make a gas TV .. so if not already bought, consider the smallest you can comfortably watch and best if 12v rather than using a 230v set with an inverter.

It can be all very confusing but it really is quite simple..

Every appliance has a wattage and or amps rating .. as an example,. lets say a TV is rated at 3amps 12v dc that means is is 36watt and going to use 3a out of the battery, ie 3 amps every hour or 3 ah .. do the maths for whatever size battery you have.. but remember.. a battery rating must be roughly halved if you don't want to kill it.. .. ie 85ah rating = 43 ah useful power.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
:thanks2::thanks2::thanks2::thanks2:
ScotJimland, what a star you are :thumb:

Not that I understand it but I am sure the more times we read it the more it should sink in :whatthe:

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
I presume if we did flatten the leisure battery it we would still be able to be driven home? Then presumably we would put the van on hook up untill it was charged again?

Best book a site eh!!!:winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I presume if we did flatten the leisure battery it we would still be able to be driven home? Then presumably we would put the van on hook up untill it was charged again?

Best book a site eh!!!:winky:

Yes and yes..

horses for courses.. sites are not to everyone's taste.. but you do have the advantages of power on tap, showers, and other facilities and a place to get the chairs and barbie out.

wilding is great if it truly is a 'wild' place.. it's what camper vans were made for .... second best is a small CL where you have the best of both...

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Consider the leisure battery as a very valuable limited resource .. If wilding, rule of thumb... don't use ANYTHING that can otherwise be done with gas..

To use any household 230v item you would need either an inverter, a big battery bank and solar panels to match .. or a genny ..

The heating fan will use 12v power .. but depending on the size of your battery should last a few days if run sparingly.

If you want to use 230v a small genny is the best option.. but it must be man enough to handle whatever you plan to use.. if only to charge then 1kw is man enough..

[HI]Unfortunately they don't make a gas TV .[/HI]. so if not already bought, consider the smallest you can comfortably watch and best if 12v rather than using a 230v set with an inverter.

Funny you should say that Jim, but when at school we were on a trip camping in the lakes. We had a lad with us who I am sure would have gone one to make a good con artist if in deed he didn't. He convinced at least 2 shopkeepers that gas tv's did exist with some complicated method by which they worked, would loved to have been around when they phoned Calor but we had long gone.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Chris Jim has summed it up neatly :thumb:If you have not already got one get a single/twin relay fitted (about £15-20) that will charge your leisure battery as you drive :thumb: If a twin one then this will work your fridge also :thumb: meaning as you drive your van is running both engine and L/Battery charging and keeping the fridge cool-assuming you have a 3 way fridge :winky::thumb: Don't go worrying about running out of power the relay will start to charge as soon as the engine is running :thumb:
If you find you need more power then the first thing to do is add another L/Battery there by doubling your available power for the price of a battery :thumb: I only have a single 110 amp hr L/B and the way we use our van never run out of power but if we did the L/B doubling route is by far the cheapest and better than spending hundreds on solar.You have to be very power hungry/never move/ never on hook up to get your money back on solar ::bigsmile: Not saying solar is a bad thing just that loads spend lots on solar etc, that they probably do not need to.::bigsmile: More a case of wanting/ just to be sure, rather than needing to.:winky:
terry

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Iv'e been running around with a dead battery for five years know without any bother. Just dont use any leccy or if you must switch the genny on. I very rarley use my genny. Its to noisy.
Jim
:Smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Hi Terry,

Our fridge is a three way fridge so I can run it on gas. I dare say we can boil water in a pan for a drink and to wash any dishes. If we dont pay site fees then we can eat out more!!!

Dont know if we have a single/twin relay. It is an IH conversion so maybe I will have to ask them. Whats a genny then?

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Hi Terry,

Our fridge is a three way fridge so I can run it on gas. I dare say we can boil water in a pan for a drink and to wash any dishes. If we dont pay site fees then we can eat out more!!!

Dont know if we have a single/twin relay. It is an IH conversion so maybe I will have to ask them. [HI]Whats a genny then?[/HI]

a noisy smelly payload eating expensive lump of metal and plastic that you probably wont use and when you do come to need it , it wont bloody start:Doh:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Terry,

Dont know if we have a single/twin relay. It is an IH conversion so maybe I will have to ask them. Whats a genny then?

Hi Chris,IH make nice vans and more than likely will have twin relay on it :thumb:you You can check by switching the fridge onto 12v then starting the engine -green light should come on- :thumb: and by putting a multi meter on the L/B (leisure battery) take a reading (12.8 v ish)then start engine again and it should read nearer 14 v :thumb:---buy a gas kettle :winky: EDIT forgot to say your water heater will probably work on gas
terry

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Oooh I havnt been to Brimham rocks since i was a child. I would love to take the kids. Thanks for reminding me about the place.
Do you ever go to Wrenthorpe BTW Chris .
I seen a IH in your colour driving about a few times in the area ?
Bev

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Hi Chris,IH make nice vans and more than likely will have twin relay on it :thumb:you You can check by switching the fridge onto 12v then starting the engine -green light should come on- :thumb: and by putting a multi meter on the L/B (leisure battery) take a reading (12.8 v ish)then start engine again and it should read nearer 14 v :thumb:---buy a gas kettle :winky: EDIT forgot to say your water heater will probably work on gas
terry

Lots of info, this is great :thumb:

I thought the water heater worked off electric so thats interesting to know. Shall have to get the paperwork out that comes with it and see if theres is anything in there.

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Oooh I havnt been to Brimham rocks since i was a child. I would love to take the kids. Thanks for reminding me about the place.
Do you ever go to Wrenthorpe BTW Chris .
I seen a IH in your colour driving about a few times in the area ?
Bev

Hi Ralph-n-Bev

I havent been to Brimham Rocks since I was at school and have wanted to go for ages so I am really looking forward to it. Watch it be a disappointment, its never how you remember it, is it, lol

Never been to Wrenthorpe BTW so it isnt us. What is it? Is it worth going?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Haha ,
no its where we live in Wakefield :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back