Driving through France requires motorists to carry breathalyzer kits (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
i have just seen this item on a motoring site and thought it may be of interest

As from July 1st all drivers visiting France will need to carry a breathalyser in their cars, the rules apply to anyone travelling to or through France by car in the summer holiday season even just for a day trip.
IAM ( the Institute of Advanced Motorists) is advising motorists in France to have at least two breathalysers at all times, so that if one is used you still have one to produce for the police if you are stopped. Neil Greig, director of policy and research said “the new French rule is a genuine attempt to reduce the number of alcohol related-accidents. France’s lower limit means it’s very easy to be over the limit the morning after as well. As always, the best advice for motorists is not to drink and drive at all.”The legal limit in France is 50 mg per 100 ml of blood lower than in the UK (the UK limit is 80mg). The breathalysers cost between £1 and £2 and will be available at ferry and tunnel terminals for crossings to France. It is intended that people will be able to test themselves to check whether or not they are over the French limit. Single-use breathalyser kits will satisfy this requirement.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I think this subject has probably been done to death here already. I will get a couple though. Sounds like a cost cutting exercise so the police don't have to use their own kit. Perhaps better carry a pair of handcuffs as well in case they want to arrest me :ROFLMAO:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
well i will keep mine safe with my spare pair of driving glasses that i've had in the glove box for the past 11 years ..:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
well i will keep mine safe with my spare pair of driving glasses that i've had in the glove box for the past 11 years ..:winky:

Just wondering if you meant you were keeping your handcuffs safe or your breathalysers safe?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::winky:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
i have just seen this item on a motoring site and thought it may be of interest

As from July 1st all drivers visiting France will need to carry a breathalyser in their cars, the rules apply to anyone travelling to or through France by car in the summer holiday season even just for a day trip.
IAM ( the Institute of Advanced Motorists) is advising motorists in France to have at least two breathalysers at all times, so that if one is used you still have one to produce for the police if you are stopped. Neil Greig, director of policy and research said “the new French rule is a genuine attempt to reduce the number of alcohol related-accidents. France’s lower limit means it’s very easy to be over the limit the morning after as well. As always, the best advice for motorists is not to drink and drive at all.”The legal limit in France is 50 mg per 100 ml of blood lower than in the UK (the UK limit is 80mg). The breathalysers cost between £1 and £2 and will be available at ferry and tunnel terminals for crossings to France. It is intended that people will be able to test themselves to check whether or not they are over the French limit. Single-use breathalyser kits will satisfy this requirement.

Broken Link Removed

Errr I 'll be in chatroom for the next half an hour if you want to chat about it ... :RollEyes:

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Whatever you do, don't get stopped whilst being gassed, without a breathalyzer, in charge of an a-frame!:Eeek:

OP
OP
nifty fifty
Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
I think this subject has probably been done to death here already. I will get a couple though. Sounds like a cost cutting exercise so the police don't have to use their own kit. Perhaps better carry a pair of handcuffs as well in case they want to arrest me :ROFLMAO:

sorry must have missed it. first i had heard of it:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Do you still have to carry one even if you don't drink? :Doh::Doh::Doh:

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
to be honest guys, do you not all think it is a handy thing to carry anyway so you can self test the next morning if you are ever in any kind of doubt. surely we're only talking a couple of quid here for peace of mind. law or not!

cheers :wine:Mrs Stig

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Is there any truth in the rumour about a certain French politician owning a lot of shares in the company that makes them?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Not law yet, no date set for law to be passed as far as I know but as they're only €2 or so I'll chuck a couple in the glove box with the spare glasses (from about 3 prescriptions back) light bulbs ( on their 4 th or 5 th vehicle now) & First Aid box. Only really sensible carries are hi-vis jacket and motorhome fire extinguisher.

Any RTA I've stopped at a first aid kit with sticking plasters and a couple of bandages wasn't much use. I do carry Aspirin in it (are you still supposed to stick an Aspirin under the tongue in case of heart attack?) and one of those silver blanket things for anyone in shock/cold.

And if you have a dog/dogs you can get hi-vis vests for them just in case you have to get them out of vehicle in emergency.

And even if you don't drink (think I tried a glass of wine in 2005) you'll still have to carry a breathalyzer if it becomes law. In UK I guess Muslims could say they don't drink so don't need one but in France religion is separated (i.e your own affair) so all non drinkers would still have to have one.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
only one is illegal

Whatever you do, don't get stopped whilst being gassed, without a breathalyzer, in charge of an a-frame!:Eeek:

Only the A frame is illegal if you tow it... it may be illegal if someone gassed you, but as usual a friend of a friends brother ten times removed... as for the breathalyser I will wait until Frankie tells me it is law in France to carry on.. the UK ones are not the right type as it is 80 mil grams and the French is 50, so you will not get a true reading from those you can get on e bay in the UK.

Another 3 minutes of my life wasted...

Bob

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Ah but will the Muslims say having to carry a breathalyser is an insult to my religion and you offend me!!...Why is it just France with this breathalyser thing!! they will probably push for it to be EU LAW!! and we will all have to buy em..as for a certain minister having shares in the company..it wouldn't surprise me..

So In France we carry:::

Warning Triangle
Spare bulbs
Towrope
Breathalyser
Vehicle Docs
ETC
ETC
ETC

Where do I sit!!!:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.