Bailey withdraw 10 year warranty (1 Viewer)

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Bailey withdraws free 10-year warranty

Posted on 21 Feb 2012Daniel Attwood

Bailey motorhome - Approach 760 SE
Bailey, which began producing motorhomes less than a year ago, has withdrawn its industry-leading free 10-year bodyshell integrity warranty on new motorhomes and caravans

The company said it took the decision to "maintain our current, very competitive pricing structure and to offset recent increases in raw material and component costs".

The company's caravans have been built using Bailey's patented Alu-Tech construction method for several years and have come with the 10-year warranty.

When its Approach range of motorhomes was launched onto the market in 2011, they were all also built using the Alu-Tech construction method and were also offered with a free 10-year warranty as standard.

This led to a chain reaction with several other manufacturers following suit and raising their warranties to 10 years.

However, following what Bailey called "a review of its overall motorhome sales package", it has decided that it will only offer a six-year bodyshell integrity guarantee as standard with the cost option to extend to 10 years.

Bailey motorhome buyers can still opt for the 10-year cover, but will now have to pay £189 in the first year of ownership and £229 thereafter.

As with the standard cover, the extensions are full transferable subject to the vehicle service schedule being maintained since new and the payment of a nominal transfer fee.

The change will be applicable on all motorhome models manufactured from Monday, February 20, 2012, with the exception of those units that have already been retailed which will retain the existing warranty package.

More information can be found at www.bailey-mhomes.co.uk

Link Removed

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
my views

Not being a buyer of this make of motor-home or caravan (being an RV owner) I do read this kind of post with interest.

Perhaps it is me but down rating a warranty and then charging to extend it does send the wrong message. Well it does to me. When I purchase my Hyundai car the 5 year warranty was the deciding issue for me.. now they have increased it to 7 years like Kia that is a bonus... so what would I think if they gave me 5 years then changed it to 2 years and said..OK you can have the other 3 years but you have to pay for it? money grabbing might come to mind:Sad: or that the goods might not last the intend warranty period first offered:Sad: So would I have as much faith in the product wonder?

Does not come as an issue to me being a Winnebago owner, but I think I might want to ask some searching questions from the company if I was buying there product.. Seems like a kind of back door increase in price... or a kit car... everything is an add on.. a bit like lease cars these days.. have you notice how many extras you have to pay for.

Make it sound great but as cheap as possible and catch the fish with a nice juicy
worm ... reminds me of the Nation Wide advert a few years ago.:cry:

Bob

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
The way I read it is that anyone now buying a van will have to pay £2000 extra (in yearly premiums) for the full ten year cover.

If he does not then he gets the standard six year cover which should be more than sufficient.

No big deal really as who keeps a van for that period of time, peoples requirements change.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What it tells me is that the 10-year bodyshell integrity warranty was optimistic and the bodyshell isn't as good as first thought due to claims coming in.. If it was then why shorten it and ask for a premium to extend.. Either that or they have no faith in the product.. so why should a customer..

If I had that kind of money to spend on a new van I'd want a lifetime warranty on water ingress... not six years.. All very well saying you will probably have sold it by then, but that's not the point..

My Rv was 12 yo when sold and absolutely no damp or any signs of it...

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
selling it on

The way I read it is that anyone now buying a van will have to pay £2000 extra (in yearly premiums) for the full ten year cover.

If he does not then he gets the standard six year cover which should be more than sufficient.

No big deal really as who keeps a van for that period of time, peoples requirements change.

Peter

Peter, a bonus for a seller is if they can include the warranty that came with the motor-home or caravan I would have thought.. that bonus would make it a more attractive item.. if I was selling on a vehicle that was say five years old.. the new owner might consider it a worthwhile added reason to buy if it had still 5 years of warranty. But this is no more than a £2k increase in buying the product... just dressed up.

Bob p.s still waiting to know what soup is on offer.. mind you being so warm in Kent today it may be a case of cool drinks!!!!!

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We have a new style Bailey caravan and I am led to believe that any bought when we bought ours will still have the six plus four years warranty, it is only the ones being bought now,

As J.C. says I am not the least bit worried as we will have swapped it in long before then.

What does worry me is why in this day and age of modern fixings and adhesives is why manufactures find it so difficult to make caravans or motorhomes that do not eventually leak.

Any manufacturer that cannot make one that is not watertight for ten years should be making one trip packing cases not expensive Luxury vehicles.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I know if I was looking for a new motorhome reading this about an untried method of construction for motorhomes it would start alarm bells ringing, possibly with no cause but they would be ringing never the less and make me dubious.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I bought a new Bailey Seville Caravan Last year. The 10 year warrenty was what clinched the deal for me. I saw that i had the next 10 years of worry free caravanning.

as it was after a 6 week tour of France we decided to change from Caravaning to Motorhoming.

However was I buying a caravan now I would buy the Swift - which still does have a 10 year guarentee!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Whilst I agree with everybody here, that reducing the terms of the warranty (ie shortening the length of it) is extremely poor and says little for the company's confidence in its product, I read the cost described in the OP rather differently from the way others appear to have interpreted.

I saw the cost of extending the 6-year warranty to 10 years as being a one-off cost of £189, if paid during the first year of ownership. However, if the new owner chose not to buy the extended warranty during the first year, he/she would have to pay £229, as a one-off, at any time during the period after the first 12 months, to when the van is 6 years old. In other words, Bailey are trying to incentivise the take up during the first year of ownership.

I may of course be wrong, but in any case, the wording as set out in the OP is somewhat ambiguous in my view.

Oh, and it was mentioned in another post that the warranty was transferable to a subsequent owner - yes, at a cost of £35 admin fee to Bailey.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
spot on

Absolutely...

would boat buyers accept a six year warranty on water ingress ? ... :Doh:

:helpsos::helptitanic:

Totally agree with this which takes me back to a mail we sent into the forum some weeks back about why do we motorhomers put up with this standard of aftersales service and poor quality parts.

Last year we sold our 31 yr old Westerly yacht, totally water tight never let in a drop of rain water and kept out the waves when sailing in rough weather.
So how come motorhome builders can`t keeep the elements out?

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
The most important part of the info on Baileys website is what is NOT covered
one particular thing you should read is the Warranty exclusions after the first 3 years non permanent sealed body seams ie round doors windows rooflights etc are NOT covered

:shout:
Conmen all of them:Doh:its just another con to screw money out of you getting things checked every year the places they will start to leak after 3 years OH sorry sir did you read the small print

hawkmoon

Free Member
Feb 9, 2012
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
I too read the first post as a one off payment that was cheaper in the first year than if you decided to take it out in the second year.

I will be having a few words with the dealer as I have one on order for March delivery and was told at the time of ordering that it had a ten year warranty against water ingress. :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back