Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We had our van remapped this afternoon and the clutch is now slipping a bit. On the report they wrote 'clutch biting very high. Possible clutch slipping' although they didn't actually say anything to us about it. We certainly didn't notice it happening before the remap.
We have 14.5k on the clock. Could the clutch by worn out so soon?
We're a bit concerned as they had to do the remap twice. The first time they did it the fuel gauge was flying about all over the place.
Any suggestions? It was a Quantum remap by the way.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

FIAT clutches seem a recurring problem, they seem to be only just up to the job.

Get a plonker with a duff left foot and you can destroy one in a few miles.

If it can't handle your new found torque it's time to spend money.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Thats the issue with remaps

That is one of the issues with remaps they can upset a lot of other areas.

The Smart 4/2 was a favourite to boost the BHP of.. only problem the speedo only went to 84 mph.. but the remap speed took it to over 100 and the speedo's reacted..

My own feeling is if the makers designed the vehicle with a higher torque then he would have made the vehicle to run as such.. it may be the remap not the clutch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
May I suggest you PM Chris from WOW tuning on here. I believe they are the same company and I have found him and others extremely helpful.
Also they do a guaruntee, if your not happy, they will restore back to standard for you.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
The extra torque has unfortunately highlighted a worn out clutch. A high biting point is a good indicator.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That is one of the issues with remaps they can upset a lot of other areas.

The Smart 4/2 was a favourite to boost the BHP of.. only problem the speedo only went to 84 mph.. but the remap speed took it to over 100 and the speedo's reacted..

My own feeling is if the makers designed the vehicle with a higher torque then he would have made the vehicle to run as such.. it may be the remap not the clutch.
they are Bob.....then they are 'tamed' in the name of reliability, longevity and economy !

just as many are designed as 4000kg plus but downrated at manufacture and sold as 3500kg to enable ordinary car drivers (none C1) to drive them

S

stagman

Deleted User
:thumb:
We had our van remapped this afternoon and the clutch is now slipping a bit. On the report they wrote 'clutch biting very high. Possible clutch slipping' although they didn't actually say anything to us about it. We certainly didn't notice it happening before the remap.
We're a bit concerned as they had to do the remap twice. The first time they did it the fuel gauge was flying about all over the place.
Any suggestions? It was a Quantum remap by the way.

Is it the 3ltr , my mate's clutch went on his van at 15k Fiat 3ltr , and it had been remapped , Fiat wouldn't change it under warranty , but 2yrs warranty on the new one fitted at £900:thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
High biting point is a good sign that your clutch needs replacing I had mine done recently for the very same reason. The biting point was right at the top of the travel although it never slipped or gave any problems. I decided to whip it out and change it anyway before we went off to the Alps, when we took it apart it fell out in bits it was totally scrap:Doh:. The van had done about 28k miles. Now the new clutch is in the difference is obvious the new clutch is so light and easy to use the old clutch must have been knackered for months without me noticing.
Cost of genuine replacement parts £250
Hope this helps

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The extra torque has unfortunately highlighted a worn out clutch. A high biting point is a good indicator.:thumb:

agree, and in all probability worn prior to the remap.. all the remap has done is show it up .. not caused it.. you need a new clutch

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for all the replies. It's a bit galling to think it needs replacing after 14k though. Is it likely to keep happening?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks for all the replies. It's a bit galling to think it needs replacing after 14k though. Is it likely to keep happening?

If it's caused by driving style, yes, ... but it may be some other problem not yet identified..

have a read here .. some good information and advice.. it may help to understand and you will be able to ask your mechanic the right questions..

Link Removed

Wow

Trader - Engine ReMapping
Sep 8, 2010
Charlestown, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm going to speak to Mags and see what we can do to help, I agree 14k seems far to early for a clutch. Other posters are 100% right that the remap is highlighting a problem rather than being causal. We let you know the solution.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We've both been driving for 40 years and never bxxxggered a clutch yet but will talk to Chris tomorrow (thanks Chris :Smile:) and hopefully we can find out what's the problem.

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
all you need to think of is all the reversing you do, revs slip clutch buggered

simples

if you do 100,000 miles on motorways your clutch will last a long time just think of all the gear changes you have done and how many times you have used 1st gear to pull off from lights and junctions hence short life of clutch plus the clutch is on the top of its limit all the time as 3500kg van weighs 3500kg all the time white van goes from 1800kg to 3500kg and back again it is all relative

i think:Blush:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
you are not the first to suffer clutch problem's after a remap,although your clutch problem seems to be highlighted by the remap,if as you say the remaper reported that your clutch was riding high and possibly slipping the remaper should NOT have remaped it or removed the remap and reported to you thier reason why,bad service to let you drive off with a slipping clutch,and now you have all the problems of getting it sorted,good luck:thumb:

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Ciderman, I could accept that if most people were replacing clutches before 20k but I don't think they are. I could also accept it if we were heavy footed or had bad habits like holding it on the clutch or driving with our foot hovering near the pedal but we don't. There has to be another explanation. Hopefully we'll find it.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
all you need to think of is all the reversing you do, revs slip clutch buggered

simples

if you do 100,000 miles on motorways your clutch will last a long time just think of all the gear changes you have done and how many times you have used 1st gear to pull off from lights and junctions hence short life of clutch plus the clutch is on the top of its limit all the time as 3500kg van weighs 3500kg all the time white van goes from 1800kg to 3500kg and back again it is all relative

i think:Blush:
the problem with a lot of remap company's,is they use a stock remap,not a taylored remap,far better to have a taylored remap on a motorhome:thumb:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Over the years i have seen clutches go from 2000 miles to 200.000 miles
Depends on many factors,driving styles,mechanical faults and terain of where you live and drive,all this adds to extra wear and tear on which is basicly a mechanical system
We have on many occasions after service or MOT or even replacing a light bulb had to inform customer of cluch slip which they were unawear of !
In my opinion a remap would not cause cluch to go,the extra power it produced would be handled easily by a servicable clutch.

Tony

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Update on clutch and remap

We've had the van into an independent commercial garage and we do indeed have a worn clutch. They confirmed that the remap has only highlighted it. We're waiting for a quote to have it replaced and will probably get a second quote from a Fiat garage just to compare.
Bit tough at 15k but there it is.
Just for the record - driving now we've had it remapped is a real pleasure. It's smoother, motors comfortably in 5th and requires a lot less shifting between gears on inclines. Too soon to give an accurate reading of fuel economy but before the remap we were getting 26 - 28 mpg.
Watch this space.
Thanks all for the advice, discussion and as ever support.
Mags

S

stagman

Deleted User
Don't know how accurate the on board computer is but my friends and my van we never get more than 25mpg , both are 3ltr and re-mapped , and his clutch wen't recently at 15,000 mls , new clutch fitted by Fiat 2yr warranty just under £900 :thumb:

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We calculate mpg the old fashioned way i.e. by keeping a record of litres in and mileage and calculating it every few fill ups then getting an average over a period. I don't think onboard computers are very accurate.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If youve got a good independant garage, the clutch kit should cost no more than £211 as you can buy one yourself for that here
Link Removed

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Got the clutch kit for just under £200 but it's the labour that pushes up the bill of course. They will check whether we need a new fly wheel when they're in there. I hope not ... now those are expensive.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
You would normally know if the dual mass flywheel needs replacing as you would notice vibrations when pulling off etc

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back