Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Powys
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Several Years
Just read in the Daily Mail ( so it must be true) from July the French authorities will require all motorists to carry a breathalyser kit in their car to prove they are driving within the limits of 50mg of alcahol.
a fine if you don,t carry one, will be 11 euros. so think on all you continental travellers purchase one or two so you can test yourself, before you travel they are available on the ferries so they say.:Doh:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I will get 1 or 2 but don't expect to use them, after all I know whether I've had a drink or not, and I don't intend to drink and drive even if I'm under the limit. I will get them just to avoid the fine.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Just read in the Daily Mail ( so it must be true) from July the French authorities will require all motorists to carry a breathalyser kit in their car to prove they are driving within the limits of 50mg of alcahol.
a fine if you don,t carry one, will be 11 euros. so think on all you continental travellers purchase one or two so you can test yourself, before you travel they are available on the ferries so they say.:Doh:

:RollEyes:... I am happy to know that at least some news papers will be able to tell me next May who is going to be my new president ... Just in case french newspapers would not know it !

Ok ... just in case ... I am not saying this against you ... You probably didn't see the previous posts /threads about breathaliser .... so once more ... the law has NOT been voted yet , when it will ... I think I will know ... they will go on and on and on saying it all day long , just like they did for the yellow jacket.
Now if it is voted , then it should be done in spring, as July is too far into the holidays to be in the french habits before they are on the roads to the beach :Smile::Smile:

I will :shout: loud when the law is to be obeyed:winky:

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Thank you Frankie

:RollEyes:... I am happy to know that at least some news papers will be able to tell me next May who is going to be my new president ... Just in case french newspapers would not know it !

Ok ... just in case ... I am not saying this against you ... You probably didn't see the previous posts /threads about breathaliser .... so once more ... the law has NOT been voted yet , when it will ... I think I will know ... they will go on and on and on saying it all day long , just like they did for the yellow jacket.
Now if it is voted , then it should be done in spring, as July is too far into the holidays to be in the french habits before they are on the roads to the beach :Smile::Smile:

I will :shout: loud when the law is to be obeyed:winky:

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:

Thank you Frankie.. we know we can trust you to keep an eye on the issue for us all on the MHF...

Pancake day today Frankie.. not crepe's but thicker bog standard ones .. with sugar and lemon... but then I have some nice Maple syrup from Canada to use as well... :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Bob:thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Thank you Frankie.. we know we can trust you to keep an eye on the issue for us all on the MHF...

Pancake day today Frankie.. not crepe's but thicker bog standard ones .. with sugar and lemon... but then I have some nice Maple syrup from Canada to use as well... :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Well Bob, were having crepe's, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. June buy's them by the packet load from the Supermarket. The problem is that you end up eating the whole packet.
Jim
:Smile:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp

Sorry Bob ... forgot to send you the crêpes .... In fact there was no more as I've eaten them all to end with :Blush::Blush::roflmto:

Frankie:RollEyes:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Don't worry Frankie, Sue made me loads

Sorry Bob ... forgot to send you the crêpes .... In fact there was no more as I've eaten them all to end with :Blush::Blush::roflmto:

Frankie:RollEyes:

Do not worry Frankie, Sue has made loads tonight.. even Ezzie was eating them.. she loves lemon, whatever has lemon in it she wants it.. Ezzie sat there drooling.. I was not far behind myself....

Elcheapo .. Tesco's 7p yes 7p packets.. just add water and an egg..

well used the pan again... looking forward to our June trip to get some of the French crepes...

Bob

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Frankie

Does the law suggest that you have to have a 'specific' number of them?

If the law suggests that you must have one, then you should carry at least two, if you carry one and then use it, you could be done for not having one,

Dave

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks for the news Princess...

Now we all know what the situation is, can anyone help me...?

Am I really even thicker than I was told I was at school...?

How does having a breathalyzer in your car do anything to stop drinking and driving?

I just don't get it...:Doh:

"I am not drunk officer... look... I have a breathalyzer kit here in my glove box..."

JJ :Cool:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Plus the fact that if you are teetotal and have even signed the ruddy pledge - you still have to have one. It's potty. :Doh:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Now Sedge dont be giving them ideas, Pottyalyser... Most on here are not even house trained.,..

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

How does having a breathalyzer in your car do anything to stop drinking and driving?

Prap's I'm a tads more cynical than you JJ-I think that this law could be a pre-cursor to increased breath testing in France which the authorities have decided should be funded by the motorist,and might even make a euro or two in fines.
Of course,if you don't do anything to get stopped (unless they bring in random tests) you'll only need to buy the minimum required once.

Mike.

These are only my thoughts ::bigsmile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Prap's I'm a tads more cynical than you JJ-I think that this law could be a pre-cursor to increased breath testing in France which the authorities have decided should be funded by the motorist,and might even make a euro or two in fines.
Of course,if you don't do anything to get stopped (unless they bring in random tests) you'll only need to buy the minimum required once.

Mike.

These are only my thoughts ::bigsmile:

So what you are saying is that it does nothing to stop drinking and driving?

(By the way... and I am sure you know this already... they have lots of random police checks here in Portugal and Spain... not so sure about France though. You don't have to "do anything to get stopped" here to get stopped... just drive along the road...)

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Frankie

Does the law suggest that you have to have a 'specific' number of them?

If the law suggests that you must have one, then you should carry at least two, if you carry one and then use it, you could be done for not having one,

Dave

Don't know Dave . it was a very short announcement . I guess they will deliver the news slowly. Apparently everybody has reacted here as I tried to find 1 or 2 for Steve (Salopian) and i just can't find any:Eeek: . I have been in 4 different shops and same answer : "Sorry we don't have anymore and the maker doesn't even know when we can have some more !!"...

Same thing about the fine, we don't know yet if it will be 17 or 11 euros. And finally i have been told by the owner of a petrol station that no one will be before the 1st of november .... But I want to hear this on news to be sure it is true !!

That's all I can tell for now

Frankie
xxxxxxx

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
So what you are saying is that it does nothing to stop drinking and driving?

(By the way... and I am sure you know this already... they have lots of random police checks here in Portugal and Spain... not so sure about France though. You don't have to "do anything to get stopped" here to get stopped... just drive along the road...)

Many in France too ! No need to be speedy or anything else , you can just be check because .... errrr..... you have a far too nice car :RollEyes::Doh:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My people tell me they have sourced some breathalysers and there is a possibility I might be able to let Funsters at Marjal obtain one or two at the going rate which will be...

1 Fray Bentos Pie (Steak, Steak and Ale, Steak and Mushroom or Minced steak and Veg) for each 1 Breathalyser...

Fair or what?

No promises... waiting to hear from my Chief Buyer (French Division) as I type this... :winky:

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Just to confirm what Frankie has said. There is an article in March issue of Caravan club magazine page 42.

They consulted the legal department of Automobile club de France who advised it is just a proposal at the moment and if it does come in to law, it may only be for French nationals, not tourists. Vive de vin rouge.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Perhaps I could ask Frankie if the law also applies to motorcyclists. Some of you may think the answer is obvious but there are certain laws that don't apply to all categories of road user.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Perhaps I could ask Frankie if the law also applies to motorcyclists. Some of you may think the answer is obvious but there are certain laws that don't apply to all categories of road user.

Good question ... never heard anything about motorcycles ... so will see if I can get some information:thumb:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

patyogi

Free Member
Feb 8, 2012
Deal, Kent
Funster No
MH
self convert, left hooker
Exp
too long
Frenchies again

You can buy your kits off Fleabay, as per usual.:roflmto:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Sold out and not available

I ordered one, Breathalyser UK.. paid ..waited.. nothing.. contacted them, sold out and none due for months.. Good way of taking money... sell goods you have not got and will arrive in stock sometime in the future.

Bob:Blush:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I ordered one, Breathalyser UK.. paid ..waited.. nothing.. contacted them, sold out and none due for months.. Good way of taking money... sell goods you have not got and will arrive in stock sometime in the future.

Bob:Blush:

Surely they cant do that. You should know M'lod Bob. Anyhow. I thought these things weren't a legal requirement yet so whats the panic. Frankie will tell us when they're a legal requirement.
Jim

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes Frankie did confirm it in another post

Surely they cant do that. You should know M'lod Bob. Anyhow. I thought these things weren't a legal requirement yet so whats the panic. Frankie will tell us when they're a legal requirement.
Jim

Yes Frankie did confirm it in another post.. I am not going until June, so just was getting a kit in stock... seems a lot of people have, according to the chap thousands have ordered them.. seems he has a great business.

As to is it legal. No it is not. I have asked for a refund and received an email confirming he is cancelling the order.

I did advise him that Trading Standards would take a dim view as would the Advertising Standards Authority. I also advised him I would put the information on MHF to warn others that you may be waiting a long time for the item you paid for when you ordered it.

Bob:Angry:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I did advise him that Trading Standards would take a dim view as would the Advertising Standards Authority. I also advised him I would put the information on MHF to warn others that you may be waiting a long time for the item you paid for when you ordered it.Bob:Angry:
Dont forget Bob, this guy's got your address. :whatthe:
Jim
:roflmto:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Another question.. What cut off point type should be ordered ?

The common ones are .02, .05 and .08 BAC

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I also ordered some last week which according to their blurb should arrive by this weekend.........I sha'nt hold my breath :Angry:

Just noticed also their web site gives a 0844.....tel number and states it is free from BT landlines. This is NOT true, even if like me you have a BT all-in package there is a charge for these calls. Another con ? :Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back