Tunnel crossing + Aire in/near Calais?? (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, I have a couple of questions.

1 We have travelled with the tunnel in the past but only arrived a couple of hours early. Could we arrive the night before and expect to jump on a crossing? preferrably without an additional charge?

2 Does anyone know of a good, safe aire near Calais which we can use and then have a really early start the following morning.

We have looked at the route to Marjal and have decided that a 1 night stop near Ebreuil then the south of France/northern Spain will be better than 2 stops in France in early March.

Ginny and Mike

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
not normally

Hi, I have a couple of questions.

1 We have travelled with the tunnel in the past but only arrived a couple of hours early. Could we arrive the night before and expect to jump on a crossing? preferrably without an additional charge?

2 Does anyone know of a good, safe aire near Calais which we can use and then have a really early start the following morning.

We have looked at the route to Marjal and have decided that a 1 night stop near Ebreuil then the south of France/northern Spain will be better than 2 stops in France in early March.

Ginny and Mike

The tunnel allows for up to two hours early arrival only.. and if you want to change to another date or earlier then they will charge you.

A good place to stop on the way back - should be open is the campsite about 8 alms from the tunnel at Guines safe and sound and you can leave early... castles@bien-assise.com they are in the ACIS book page 39 second book

Bob

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi As we travel down from Scotland we always book a train which allows us plenty of time just in case. We have turned up over 5hours early and been allowed on no problem.

As for somewhere to stay at the other end there is an Aire/carpark for mh in the cite de Europa shopping center just at the tunnel exit. We have stayed here many times and always about 10 others there and right next to the police station so cctv. It is actually just next to tunnel exit but you have to drive to get round to it about 5 min drive just following signs for the cite de eurpoa and you will see the mh parking sign.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I used to use the tunnel quite a lot... (it is brilliant imo)

When I arrived early, which I often did, they sometimes let me on early for free and sometimes they offered me the chance to go early for an extra charge...

I guess it is dependent on how busy they are...

JJ :Cool:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
There is a campsite at Montreuil or an Aire at Embry (€7 a night but a superb Aire with hot water) both approx 50 miles South of Calais. :thumb:

patyogi

Free Member
Feb 8, 2012
Deal, Kent
Funster No
MH
self convert, left hooker
Exp
too long
Aires

Couple of aires just around Boulogne, not so crowded as Calais and you away from the town, so a good start next morning.

Email me if you want GPS cords. Buy the Aires book from Vicarious books when you can, full of info. and 1600 sites.

Will be on one of these Friday next, making our way back next week. :cry:

S

stagman

Deleted User
[

We often use the Calais Marina Aire always a few British vans there for company , and a short walk into the town with markets shops , and restaurants , also the Calais Port Aire but gets a bit crowded , you can also stop at the Cite Europe Aire great for last minuite shopping we have stayed there overnight with no problems :thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We usually head for Auchan in Boulogne - St Martin de Boulogne exit from the A16.

Vast area of carpark to ourselves, and the security vans drive round at night (don't disturb you, they are on the site road not the carpark) Up next morning, nip in for croissants and a baguette for lunch and off we go!

Be aware if you travel on Saturday night they aren't open on Sundays, so you would be baguette-less. :cry:

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi As we travel down from Scotland we always book a train which allows us plenty of time just in case. We have turned up over 5hours early and been allowed on no problem.

As for somewhere to stay at the other end there is an Aire/carpark for mh in the cite de Europa shopping center just at the tunnel exit. We have stayed here many times and always about 10 others there and right next to the police station so cctv. It is actually just next to tunnel exit but you have to drive to get round to it about 5 min drive just following signs for the cite de eurpoa and you will see the mh parking sign.

Hi, we have checked in the All the Aires book and they do not recommend motorhomes to stay overnight. Have you stayed overnight and is it ok? We wondered if there would be many other motorhomes at this time of year.

Ginny and Mike

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
28 pictures 10 minutes from ferry so cant be far from tunnel either
http://techno.smugmug.com/Travel/Calais/17096716_BnRjn2#!i=1295411265&k=ML3qSHk
DSC0270-L.jpg

Capture-L.jpg

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
A few of us just returned this w/e from skiing in the Alps and stayed overnite at Cite Europe , which was much quieter than at the Marina and FREE, seemed very safe , great for the last minute shopping etc

My tomtom decided in the early morning to go direct thru the wire fence, silly old tom but enough signage to get to the tunnel without nav which took oly minutes to arrive at

We wont be camping at the marina again Cite Europe if poss for us :thumb::thumb:

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi, we have checked in the All the Aires book and they do not recommend motorhomes to stay overnight. Have you stayed overnight and is it ok? We wondered if there would be many other motorhomes at this time of year.

Ginny and Mike

We have stayed at Cite Europe several times no problems :thumb:

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years

Ginny and Mike

We too have stayed there many times with no problems.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Ticket Office Car Park, at the Ferry Port.

Very popular, free, safe, but at times, a little noisy!::bigsmile:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp

Ginny and Mike

Hi Ginny and Mike
We have stayed here on at least 6 times and i wouldnt recommend it to someone if i didnt think it was safe, i am picky where i stay as i have children on board. Everytime we stay here there are at least 5 other mh's and normally more. If you park up near the back fence you are only about 20yards from the tunnel police station and police are outside it most of the night plus there is cctv.

Enjoy your holiday and remember no matter where you are if your not 100% happy just move on thats the benifit of the mh.

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
The last twice we used the Tesco Chunnel we came back a day or so early from France. We just turned up, gave them our ticket and asked if they could put us on the next available crossing.
No additional charge and an hour later we were in the UK:thumb:

Happy French Daze:RollEyes:
Chrisboyo

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for all your help and information, we have decided that if it is getting dark, we will stay at the Cite Europe, if we can get on an earlier crossing we will head for Neuf Chatele en Bray. This will take us an hour or so closer to Elbeuf which is our first stop.

Ginny and Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back