Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Just wondered what other people think about this.

Seems to me that the biggest limiting factor when wildcamping is finding somewhere to empty the loo.

So I am wondering whether to buy a second cassette for our loo, so that, at least in theory, we could go twice as long before finding somewhere to empty the loo. I could carry the spare cassette (full or empty) in our garage.

Is this something that others have done?

Thanks

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
One FUNster has two spares.

All is does is delay the problem and at the same time make it bigger.

But if you really can't empty then it's life saver.

John's Cross to a service kit with a complete cassette in it.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Just wondered what other people think about this.

Seems to me that the biggest limiting factor when wildcamping is finding somewhere to empty the loo.

So I am wondering whether to buy a second cassette for our loo, so that, at least in theory, we could go twice as long before finding somewhere to empty the loo. I could carry the spare cassette (full or empty) in our garage.

Is this something that others have done?

Thanks

We bought a second cassette after our 2nd weekend trip in UK-on each trip the 'Full' light came on in early hours of morn and it was blowing a gale and chucking it down outside::bigsmile:
Now when the cassette is getting full we put the empty one under the van below the toilet locker,so that if it fills in night it's just a question of swapping them over.We then empty the full one at our convenience :ROFLMAO:
It works for us.
Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
John's Cross to a service kit with a complete cassette in it.

I tried to buy just a cassette-and found that I had to buy that service kit.It contains a cassette,spare seat and some 'product' -or it did a couple of yrs ago-and was cheaper than the price Thetford had been asking for a replacement cassette. I subsequently sold the spare seat for £20 ::bigsmile:

Mike.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If you are proper wild camping, this is the answer..

SPADE-LWEIGHT-THATCH.jpg

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I tried to buy just a cassette-and found that I had to buy that service kit.It contains a cassette,spare seat and some 'product' -or it did a couple of yrs ago-and was cheaper than the price Thetford had been asking for a replacement cassette. I subsequently sold the spare seat for £20 ::bigsmile:

Mike.
They are still available:

Thetford C2 C3 C4 Toilet Reconditioning Kit

Thetford C200 Toilet Reconditioning Kit

OP
OP
motorhomer

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Thanks for the replies.

My loo is a C250 - are there kits for that as well?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I carry a spare in my back box. I don't think I'd want to keep a full one inside the van. Again got the Johns Cross (other MH shops are available) kit as its cheaper than the cassette alone, but if they don't do your model you may just have to buy the cassette and pay the full price.
It's definitely worth doing.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Our Frankia has a spare as standard in its own locker. In 8 years of ownership only ever used it a couple of times but it was great to have it when needed.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Our Frankia also has 2 cassettes and we use them regularly even on sites, no dragging heavy cassettes to empty as we empty both as we leave.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
So where does it tell you which one you have?

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Just a question.

Looking at the pictures in the advert it seems that the only difference is that one is a short cassette and the other is longer.
My loo in a Rimor Sailer 2002 is a swivel, not a bench, with a short casstte would the short cassette in the advert be suitable ?

Thanks, Cydersyd.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Just a question.

Looking at the pictures in the advert it seems that the only difference is that one is a short cassette and the other is longer.
My loo in a Rimor Sailer 2002 is a swivel, not a bench, with a short casstte would the short cassette in the advert be suitable ?
Thanks, Cydersyd.

Because of doubts about different models,I ordered mine by phone (a couple of years ago)
I seem to remember being asked questions like 'when you sit on toilet is the wall on your left or right' ? We then had a conversation where I was asked further questions about the exact positioning of various items on the cassette ::bigsmile: I got the impression that the person I was talking to had two slightly different cassettes in front of them and was deciding which model I needed.
I never really understood it all-but ended up with the right one.:thumb:
Mike.

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
So where does it tell you which one you have?

The c2,3and 4 are the same and the loo in the van will be fixed (non Swivel)
(long cassette)

The c200 series your loo will swivel
(short cassette)

The c250 has wheels on cassette

Hope this helps

regards
Steve:thumb:

Last edited:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Just a question.

Thanks, Cydersyd.

C200 type:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I can not believe people pay 90 quid for a spare cassette for wild camping :Eeek:There must be a hedge bottom etc that you can dig a latrine and empty into ::bigsmile:
terry

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Would it not be cheaper, to use a bucket, some clingfim, and drive carefully?:ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I can not believe people pay 90 quid for a spare cassette for wild camping :Eeek:There must be a hedge bottom etc that you can dig a latrine and empty into ::bigsmile:
terry

Ah yes, but you remember from other posts that people don't wildcamp to save money :ROFLMAO:
Actually I was motivated to buy one after staying on 3 successive aires that had no emptying facilities.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
We bought a second cassette after our 2nd weekend trip in UK-on:
....Now when the cassette is getting full we put the empty one under the van below the toilet locker,so that if it fills in night it's just a question of swapping them over.We then empty the full one at our convenience :ROFLMAO:
It works for us.
Mike.

A variation on the potty under the bed...

JJ

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
We bought a second cassette after our 2nd weekend trip in UK-on each trip the 'Full' light came on in early hours of morn and it was blowing a gale and chucking it down outside::bigsmile:
Now when the cassette is getting full we put the empty one under the van below the toilet locker,so that if it fills in night it's just a question of swapping them over.We then empty the full one at our convenience :ROFLMAO:
It works for us.
Mike.

Sort of defeats the object...you still have to go outside to change over?:Doh:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Sort of defeats the object...you still have to go outside to change over?:Doh:

Yes-but it only takes about 15secs-rather than having to get dressed,walk carrying a cassette to an emptying point,empty the cassette,walk back,put in whatever you put in it,put it back in the locker,go back in van,get undressed and back into bed ::bigsmile:
Mike.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Yes-but it only takes about 15secs-rather than having to get dressed,walk carrying a cassette to an emptying point,empty the cassette,walk back,put in whatever you put in it,put it back in the locker,go back in van,get undressed and back into bed ::bigsmile:
Mike.

FIFTEEN SECONDS who are you ? Superman:whatthe:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well our 'full' light is permanently on. Guidin light for nocturnal loo visits.

In any case, when the light comes on you don't need to empty it now this very minute! - it will easily wait until morning. :Doh:

Quite probably until after you have both abluted.

otis the staffy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No
Spare lou

If you wish to spend £100 0n spare cassette no problem,if you want one for free go to skip or save one when you have used the contents be it emulsion or fence paint 10,15,20 Lts wash it out.When you need to whilst free/wildcamping empty cassette into container replace double seal lid,it will not leak job done.When it comes to empty at semiento or w.c you will attract a lot less attention than walking about with a cassette.Pop it into a bag and no one is the wiser.The time to do this is when 2 thirds full place under van never been caught short in 9 years works for me may not for you.:thumb: Stay Safe

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Or you could do what I did few years back camping in Spain,I "went" in a empty coke bottle and put it outside the tent,1/2 hour later wife went for one in the bushes when she came back I could here water splashing outside the tent,realised straightaway what it was!she was using the coke bottle contents to wash her hands mistaking in the dark for the fresh water bottle which was still inside the tent,took me about 10 mins to stop laughing:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back