Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Not something many of you will hope to cope with, but this morning I had to go off to my local garage to get a chassis welded.... no not my RV.. but my wheelchair.

My beloved much used ETAC .. Swedish made.. now the best part of 8 to 10 years old.. been all over the world with it.. on planes and ships.. even nearly lost it overboard transferring to a tender in Grand Cayman a few years back.. but yesterday the wheelchair was squeaking and I got the WD40 out to oil the various hubs and parts.. then I found it.. one of the two cross members had sheared across the point where the bolt goes through (Thankfully there is a second of the same further forward).... so today I took it to the garage and they are going to weld a plate each side of the arm.

It was an NHS chair at one time, but due to age and parts availability they replaced it with an ally chair (no where as good) so I was given the old chair and all the parts they had in stock.. like seat canvas's and wheels etc.,

I just could not see this beloved chair town out.. so it is worth patching it up..

Well something different for a Saturday morning.

Bob:winky:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Not been carrying an extra passenger have you?

Steve

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
At least it lives to fight another day ::bigsmile:

Are you getting the other arm welded as it is likely to go as well at some point in the future?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi bob you havnt been using an a frame behind it have you. ?
the other thing could be the gas . do you use bpg(bobs power gas)?

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
i expect you will be right

At least it lives to fight another day ::bigsmile:

Are you getting the other arm welded as it is likely to go as well at some point in the future?

It is like a comfortable pair of shoes, I just do not want to throw it out... thank goodness it has a second cross bar.. should get it back Monday.

Bob

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
have thought about it on the scooter

hi bob you havnt been using an a frame behind it have you. ?
the other thing could be the gas . do you use bpg(bobs power gas)?

Alan, I have thought about a tow bar on the scooter before, but not the wheelchair.. This one has done a few miles and been badly handled by British Airways and a few other airlines over the years.. lugged on and off ships and in and out of tenders by those that have no idea.

It has been at many shows on ground that needed a 4 x 4 not a wheelchair.. and bounced in and out of the car so many time I am surprised it has been fit for use.

A big tick to the Swedish who made it.. never had a chair so strong.

Oh well, another odd ball story for the annuals of MHF

Bob

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
It is mended

I went and collected it from the garage this morning.. as it was an aluminium frame, they had to make a tube to go over the broken bit and bolt it in place.. will be stronger than the other three cross members.. but at least it is back in service again...

We have the power to rebuild it.

Bob

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I went and collected it from the garage this morning.. as it was an aluminium frame, they had to make a tube to go over the broken bit and bolt it in place.. will be stronger than the other three cross members.. but at least it is back in service again...

We have the power to rebuild it.

Bob
Sounds like a good bit of kit, it could be worth mailing the Swedish manufactures, with such good publicity you never know they might just use both you and Ezzie for a promotional film £££:winky:. They could even have an Aladdin’s cave of old spares from which they could possibly build you a new one.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
ETAC also make condoms

Sounds like a good bit of kit, it could be worth mailing the Swedish manufactures, with such good publicity you never know they might just use both you and Ezzie for a promotional film £££:winky:. They could even have an Aladdin’s cave of old spares from which they could possibly build you a new one.

I had need to email them many years back and they also make condoms.. great fun trying to get a spare part..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: the chair is obsolete now... 8/9 years old at least.. was provided by the NHS, but after that number of years to many part break and they just buy a more modern flimsy as in cheap wheelchair.. I use the new one when I am out and about and at shows.. but the old Etac I use in doors so if a frame goes I am able to get to the settee or other place of safety until the spare can be got in from the car.

I do also have a full power chair, but that is a bitch to use in doors as it wrecks carpets and flooring, just scuffs them up and that is used if I am having a real bad time with my arm or back when I am unable to self propel myself.

But yes would make a good advert... still it is repaired yet again.

Bob:Blush:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
We have a local celeb who was a rozzer disabled in a working accident and now takes part in sponsored events in his NHS issue wheelchair to prove to people that life doesn't stop.
His name is Swasie Turner who also posesses a magnificent handlebar moustache.

http://www.swasieturner.org/

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
being disabled should not stop you

We have a local celeb who was a rozzer disabled in a working accident and now takes part in sponsored events in his NHS issue wheelchair to prove to people that life doesn't stop.
His name is Swasie Turner who also posesses a magnificent handlebar moustache.

http://www.swasieturner.org/

Being disabled should not stop you.. getting older is hitting me hard.. but I held a private pilots licence, a PSV licence and got dancing medals (Ballroom) all when I wore an artificial limb.. even have a motorbike licence and passed my test on a military vehicle. (Civil Defence Corps). took the lessons on a bog standard BSM car ...

Disabled is more a mind set, OK you get issues to deal with like a broken frame on a wheelchair from time to time.. but you lean to get on with it. Disabilty does not offend me.. it is the idiots that think my size is funny... they know who they are.. but on the whole most people accept me as who I am ...Bob... with a St Bernard and yes in a wheelchair.

As I often say to SWMBO (Sue) life is a bitch, you marry one and then you die...:Blush:

Bob:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back