Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We are away on holiday soon, and I would like to immobilise the M/H while we are away, anyone know which fuse or relay to pull out to achieve this, the M/H is a 2010 Fiat Ducato 130 bhp, ??

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
A couple of ways of looking at it. Either a "sneak thief" would need entry and be able to drive it away, or "visible theif" would use a recovery truck to just hook it up and pull away . Both ways could be prevented by removing at least two of the wheels, prefferably the rears, and dont leave them in the garage or shed.There is an item available that acts as a "stand " for the rear wheels and is lockable, so a thief would have to spend time smashing the locks off both sides, then refit wheels etc before driving away. The sneak theif will be beggared if you fit something like the "clutch claw" which locks all the pedals together, the vehicle cannot then be then driven off, even if it is started.
A "post" sunk into the concrete in front of your MH will make a thief think twice., as will another car blocking its way.

Too much emphasis is put on how to "get a vehcile back" or make a noise while its being stolen. In the first instance, there is a "hit and miss" element to tracking systems, depending on when they are noticed as stolen, where the nearest police unit is, and where the vehcile's new destination will be, yes, you hear of the "succsess stories" of vehciles being recovered in minutes,......but belive me, only this week.......I saw evidence that even very new vehciles are stiil be stolen, stripped and crated for export quicker than they can be recovered. As far as letting everyone know when a vehicle is being stolen....like anyone cares, or would actually do anything, or the police would respond in time, or the thieves would,nt set the alarm off enoguh times prior to the theft to make everyone ignore yet another sounding.

I am not totally decrying immobilisors and alarms, but the first port of call should always be to make it physically harder to remove the vehicle from where it is, the harder the better. In your particular case, seeing as you appear to only be concerned for your vehicles safety because you are going on holiday, it strikes me that you may feel a potential thief could get that information, in that case...if he knew you were on holiday, it would probably be easier for him to burgle your house and steal the keys.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I agree with both of the above posts. Take the plugs out as well. Just remember, your gonna need another week off when you get back, to reassemble your mh. :roflmto:
Jim
:winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
your fiat dealer may help with this.....

if you can locate the fuel 'impact cut-off' switch then just pull the plug off and tuck it out the way.
it will usually have a soft rubber dome on top with the reset button under.

the switch cuts off the fuel supply completely in a severe accident and until it's reconnected it will never start.

dont know about the newer vans but the older pre JTD models had the switch on the left hand bulk-head, below and right of the brake servo, under the bonnet

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
your fiat dealer may help with this.....

if you can locate the fuel 'impact cut-off' switch then just pull the plug off and tuck it out the way.
it will usually have a soft rubber dome on top with the reset button under.

the switch cuts off the fuel supply completely in a severe accident and until it's reconnected it will never start.

dont know about the newer vans but [HI]the older pre JTD models had the switch on the left hand bulk-head, below and right of the brake servo, under the bonnet[/HI]

So a potential tea leaf watching this forum now knows...:Doh:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I often feel that if a thief wants your van there is nothing that can be done to stop them. Anything you can think of you can bet they have thought of it first, and more besides, and thought of a way round it. It is after all the way they make their living.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I often feel that if a thief wants your van there is nothing that can be done to stop them. Anything you can think of you can bet they have thought of it first, and more besides, and thought of a way round it. It is after all the way they make their living.

I totally agree but I feel that motorhome security should be discussed at a more secure level, in the right forum and maybe only open to paid up members.

On a classic BMW forum I use the problem came to light when we realised the thieving b***ards were visiting the open forum.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
I totally agree but I feel that motorhome security should be discussed at a more secure level, in the right forum and maybe only open to paid up members.

On a classic BMW forum I use the problem came to light when we realised the thieving b***ards were visiting the open forum.

makes no difference if a thief thought valuable info could be had by spending £10 to gain access to all posts on the forums.

lets face it if you personally new that you could spend £10 and be guaranteed at least £200,000 just from information would you spend the £10?????

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Only Question I have is :-
Why arent you taking the Motorhome on Holiday?:Smile:

Ours wont start unless the Keys are present and we take these with us when we go out. It is parked in such a way that to remove it with a low loader would result in the demolition of either mine or my neighbours wall. I am seriously thinking of getting a tracker fitted as I believe it would be very difficult for us to replace the Motorhome if it were stolen somehow.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
makes no difference if a thief thought valuable info could be had by spending £10 to gain access to all posts on the forums.

lets face it if you personally new that you could spend £10 and be guaranteed at least £200,000 just from information would you spend the £10?????

Maybe the more detailed security items should go as PM's or am I just thinking like an over cautious protective person?

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Maybe the more detailed security items should go as PM's or am I just thinking like an over cautious protective person?

then we would get posts like "been to get motorhome from storage looks like someone has been tampering with it cant get it started any ideas"

then the honest helpful ones will then tell the thief what and where to check to get it going:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So a potential tea leaf watching this forum now knows...:Doh:
only if they know what to look for....not easy to see or reach....and if they already know what and where, then that is one thing they would try first.

i would say most 'high end' vehicle thefts are performed by 'donkeys' working for someone with a ability to dispose of the vehicle and they aint going to spend 10/20/30 minutes trying to get a van started when there is probably an easier option down the road.
just as a house burgler will be in and out in less than around 4 minutes.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
One part of my job, is "non starts" another is "lockouts", believe me, thieves KNOW information that you would not even dream of.
If people can clone your car, clone your credit cards,steal your identity, all mostly electronically, they are only one step behind the manufacturers and Thatcham.
I am personally, just reminding people, that if you fit a tracker, or other electronic security device, "possibly" you are only helping your insurance company, because unles you put stickers all over it, a thief will not know its there...but has the ability to steal the vehicle anyway.
My vehicle in particular, is worth possibly £23000, it has the factory immobilisor, it also has TWO wheel clamps, one front, one rear...VERY visible, it is also parked in a drive, mostly blocked in by another car, and had three noisy rottweiller/lab cross dogs as VERY near neighbours.
I KNOW, that if a thief wanted my particular motor, he would watch for the nearby homes to be empty, use a paddys motorbike of the clamps, and dissapear with my motor on a flatbed, quicker than I can boil a kettle, there is only so much you can do.
One small thing i get a l;ittle anal about, is keeping the keys out of the way, as i'm never sure of an insurance companies stance if a vehicle is stolen using the keys.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back